Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by cedric
5. The clubs are small in PHX but not generally overcrowded. There are 3 Clubs which allows you to visit a Club in close proximity to your gate.
To be fair, one of the PHX clubs is closed right now, which I have to imagine is making them more crowded than usual. Agree with your other points.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Have any AA EXPs had luck with getting pre-merger US to grant reciprocal Chairman's (or any elite) status for the remainder of this year? Every week I am getting a couple of US flights thrown into my travel mix, and EXPs cannot (1) upgrade those flights currently nor (2) get the exit row assignments without a phone call and a long hold time -- the US website does not seem to accept mixed itineraries for seat changes. There are also other, minor inconveniences, like pre-check not printing on the BP when the first flight of an itinerary is US and also difficulties with getting expense receipts for the total fare (often have to go to both ticket counters or both clubs).

I understand that a true merger of the systems may take a year, but if US (and AA likewise) would simply issue equivalent status, cross-program, for the remainder of the current year, it would alleviate these problems. And the most significant problem is the lack of upgrades.

Last edited by fastflyer; Mar 7, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
They don't have to merge IT systems in order to grant reciprocal status. That should be a no-brainer.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
What Status would they give US Platinum?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
What Status would they give US Platinum?
Whatever status they plan on giving it when the do consolidate the programs in a year or so.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
Whatever status they plan on giving it when the do consolidate the programs in a year or so.
Many think they will create a new 4th Tier for 75k, which AA doesn't have today.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
So, back to the question:

Have any AA elites been granted reciprocal status in the US Dividend Miles elite program based solely on their AA status? I phoned US and could not get it "as of now," but the request seemed to be something they knew about.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
So, back to the question:

Have any AA elites been granted reciprocal status in the US Dividend Miles elite program based solely on their AA status? I phoned US and could not get it "as of now," but the request seemed to be something they knew about.
No, that is why we were talking about why they didn't give status to each other program.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
So yesterday I flew BOS-DFW-MEX on AA metal and AA ticket stock.

I was recognized as a USChairman and given a snack an drink on the first leg. On the second leg, I asked the FA for a beer and he said he couldn't give me one as I didn't show up as EXP on his manifest. I showed him my boarding pass with USAirways number and my Chairman's card to validate my status. He dismissed it saying if I wasn't in the system, I was out of luck despite having my card with me.

Very frustrating experience. I'm staying away from AA until this is all done. I know the systems still have glitches, but it baffled me that despite me showing my passport and card, the agent was so rude and didn't even pay attention to my request.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by mbece
Very frustrating experience. I'm staying away from AA until this is all done. I know the systems still have glitches, but it baffled me that despite me showing my passport and card, the agent was so rude and didn't even pay attention to my request.
What's interesting is I was on a flight on Sunday where they said the manifest wasn't showing the statuses correctly so they made the announcement, "if you are EXP or US CP please show your credentials to the FA as we do our main cabin service." That's the first time I've ever heard the crew acknowledge the benefit publicly.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by cedric
Wow, someone is a little biased!

1. Average age of US' 321 fleet is 5.7 years. Are some older? Of course. US took delivery of their first A321 in 2001. Compare to AA's MD-80 fleet where the newest operating airframe was delivered the same year. Incidentally, average age of the MD-80 fleet is 21.8 years.
3. Coats are taken and hung in F, although there is no closet.
4. Depends on the age of the aircraft and whether it has been retrofitted. Ultimately, size of overhead does not bother me since carry-on size limitation is standard.
5. The clubs are small in PHX but not generally overcrowded. There are 3 Clubs which allows you to visit a Club in close proximity to your gate.
I am very biased in favor of AA. MD 80s are going bye bye as new 73 and other aircraft is delivered. Both times I was in the clubs in PHX they were packed. I do like that sweet snack though. Can't say I was entirely negative about US.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Superguy
You're complaining about "crappy old 321s" when AA has been flying around those craptastic, ancient Super 80s for HOW LONG?!

While I'd certainly love to see power plugs on the planes, I'd also like them to be usable for modern electronics (not cigarette lighter style). I also bring my IFE domestically and rarely watch what the airline provides even if it's available as it's usually cheap crap I wouldn't watch anyway. UA's channel 9, on the rare occasions it's available these days, is about the only thing that really mattered.
SoSorry but I've flown in much newer AA aircraft in the last year - 777-300, A321T, 738, 175 and they are far newer than anything I've flown on US. At least the AA planes duck tape are being scheduled for retirement. As for IFE, I use it and bring a book. But on a nearly six hour outbound to PHX, it would be nice to watch an episode of Blacklist or Parks and Recreation.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nologic

Many think they will create a new 4th Tier for 75k, which AA doesn't have today.
You're right, many do think that but I think it's 50/50 at best. A 4th tier would be different from most of the other OneWorld carriers.

Since AA is the surviving program, it would seem to make sense that a match between the top tiers in each program makes sense. You don't necessarily have to match the other elite tiers for now.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
So yesterday I flew BOS-DFW-MEX on AA metal and AA ticket stock.

I was recognized as a USChairman and given a snack an drink on the first leg. On the second leg, I asked the FA for a beer and he said he couldn't give me one as I didn't show up as EXP on his manifest. I showed him my boarding pass with USAirways number and my Chairman's card to validate my status. He dismissed it saying if I wasn't in the system, I was out of luck despite having my card with me.

I'm Exec Plat and flew 8 segments on US this week. I wasn't offered a snack on any of them and my BEST choice of beverages was either water or orange juice. I asked on a couple of flights and the FA acted like she didn't know what I was talking about.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Quote:

What's interesting is I was on a flight on Sunday where they said the manifest wasn't showing the statuses correctly so they made the announcement, "if you are EXP or US CP please show your credentials to the FA as we do our main cabin service." That's the first time I've ever heard the crew acknowledge the benefit publicly.
Was this on AA or US?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.