Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by highflier86
OK got it, so my flight is AA operated by US

so if i want to depart on the earlier US flight, i go to the airport and do the moveup

If i want to do the earlier AA flight, i call AA and get the confirmed standby.

It's a PHL to ORD flight, so as you can imagine, many options on both of them.
Yes, I don't know about doing the standby to an AA operated flight, but you should be able to do the MoveUp no problem. As Jim said, if it's more than 6 hours you need to do the double MoveUp trick.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I have the following tomorrow SAN-DFW-PHL-BCN all AA coded but only the first leg is AA metal. I am AA gold and US gold. I should get lounge access in PHL, right? What about DFW? I know when I was AA platinum I would get access in DFW but not SAN.

What about the return BCN-PHL-SAN all US code and metal?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
I have the following tomorrow SAN-DFW-PHL-BCN all AA coded but only the first leg is AA metal. I am AA gold and US gold. I should get lounge access in PHL, right? What about DFW? I know when I was AA platinum I would get access in DFW but not SAN.

What about the return BCN-PHL-SAN all US code and metal?
You're crediting to US? You should have access to the US Airways Club but not the Admirals Clubs in SAN or DFW. After US joins Oneworld you would be able to get into the Admirals Clubs with same day international travel as a Oneworld Sapphire
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
You're crediting to US? You should have access to the US Airways Club but not the Admirals Clubs in SAN or DFW. After US joins Oneworld you would be able to get into the Admirals Clubs with same day international travel as a Oneworld Sapphire
Crediting to AA.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:48 pm

Crediting to AA.
It doesn't hurt to try, but they might not let you into the US Airways Club.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:25 pm

It doesn't hurt to try, but they might not let you into the US Airways Club.
They base access into the club on who you credit the miles to? That is interesting. I'll report back tomorrow.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:39 pm

They base access into the club on who you credit the miles to? That is interesting. I'll report back tomorrow.
Well, I'm not 100% sure on that, but if you're accessing a lounge based on a same-day international itinerary, that's an alliance benefit for Oneworld Sapphire and Emeralds or Star Alliance Gold. Your US Airways Gold status gives you *G status, and US is still Star Alliance for another week or so. It's a messy time, so you might be able to get in with the confusion and changes. If I had to guess the US Airways Club will let you in but the Admirals Clubs will not, especially if you're crediting to AA.

A lot of stuff is happening this week. AmEx Platinum access is going away and US is switching from *A to Oneworld, so be prepared for some uncertainty.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:53 pm

Well, I'm not 100% sure on that, but if you're accessing a lounge based on a same-day international itinerary, that's an alliance benefit for Oneworld Sapphire and Emeralds or Star Alliance Gold. Your US Airways Gold status gives you *G status, and US is still Star Alliance for another week or so. It's a messy time, so you might be able to get in with the confusion and changes. If I had to guess the US Airways Club will let you in but the Admirals Clubs will not, especially if you're crediting to AA.

A lot of stuff is happening this week. AmEx Platinum access is going away and US is switching from *A to Oneworld, so be prepared for some uncertainty.
Thanks. I expect some issues, but hopefully I can weasel my way in.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Just tell them you're the Admiral and you expect to be let into your club.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
I keep thinking of the episode of King of the Hill where Dale Gribble sneaks into the Admirals Club. "You're not sorry, and I'm not an admiral."
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I know this is more speculation - but I hope they really do away with the "choice seat" purchases for elites. It seems to me that there are MUCH more benefits in being an EXP than a CP. I really saw no benefit in being a CP on US the roundtrip flight I took.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
I know this is more speculation - but I hope they really do away with the "choice seat" purchases for elites. It seems to me that there are MUCH more benefits in being an EXP than a CP. I really saw no benefit in being a CP on US the roundtrip flight I took.
Except for very rare circumstances, I haven't had to worry about a choice or preferred seat on the day I flew.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: free agent
Except for very rare circumstances, I haven't had to worry about a choice or preferred seat on the day I flew.
Agree - if you proactively monitor the seatmap during the upgrade windows, 99% of the time you can get a pretty decent seat even if all that was available to you originally were choice seats or back-of-the-bus middles.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Agree - if you proactively monitor the seatmap during the upgrade windows, 99% of the time you can get a pretty decent seat even if all that was available to you originally were choice seats or back-of-the-bus middles.
Well, I was talking about a very high upgrade percentage, but that's certainly true too.

When I was a lower status, I often checked the seat maps during upgrade times. If I wasn't in an exit row or a bulkhead, I could usually work my way into one as higher status pax were upgraded.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:49 pm

Well, I can't give an update as AA/US 555 is delayed so I'm re-routed on AA to LHR-BCN. 0/1 on US Airways flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.