Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

As it will take quite some time for a unified frequent flyer programme to come to fruition, it is anticipated that there will be interim steps taken to allow US and AA elites recognition on both airlines. This thread is dedicated to discussion of elite benefit reciprocity between US Airways and American Airlines during this transition. For example, issues like earning reciprocal elite upgrades, PreferredAccess and PriorityAAccess recognition, checked bag fee waivers and other relevant topics.

~ New American Forum Moderation Team

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 10, 2013 at 2:09 am
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Oneworld released information about integration with US Airways.

Excerpt:
US Airways said it will leave Star Alliance, an airline alliance that includes United Airlines and Lufthansa, on March 30, 2014 and will become a member of the oneworld alliance the next day.

US Airways Dividend Miles members will receive new membership cards with the oneworld logo prior to March 31. Chairman-level members will be given Emerald status, the top level, in the oneworld program. Platinum- and Gold-level members will receive Sapphire status within oneworld, and Silver will be oneworld Ruby. All Dividend Miles members will receive miles and earn status points when flying on any oneworld-member airline starting on the 31st. The ability to redeem awards will be phased in. Members of other oneworld-member airlines will have the ability to receive miles and earn status points when flying on US Airways starting that day as well.

Above from:
US Airways to Leave Star Alliance March 30, Join Oneworld March 31, Begins Integration of Frequent Flyer Accounts

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Dec 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm Reason: Moderator copied this post over from general discussion thread
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It was stated in a post elsewhere in this forum that reciprocal elite benefits begin on January 7, 2014, which is a Tuesday.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It was stated in a post elsewhere in this forum that reciprocal elite benefits begin on January 7, 2014, which is a Tuesday.
Yes, but the nature of those benefits could very well be quite limited initially. The interesting info. will be dissecting when exactly certain key reciprocal privileges will be afforded, and to whom, for example upgrades to F on AA for US and vice versa.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Yes. The date is correct. Here are some details:
“January 7 will be a big day for us,” Scott Kirby, who will serve as the combined airline’s president, told Frequent Business Traveler in an interview last month.

On that day, each airline will recognize the other’s elite frequent flyers with reciprocal benefits. A passenger flying on American will be able to earn miles and status points on US Airways and vice versa as of that day as well. In addition, each airline’s lounge members will be granted reciprocal access at the other’s lounges.
above from:
American and US Airways Outline Customer Benefits From Merger
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:01 pm

Impact

I wonder what impact adding all the Chairman members to the EXP ranks will have? Although, the statement says US Chairmans will get the highest OneWorld status. Doesn't actually say they get EXP status............

Any idea what the real numbers are?

I also wonder how many US Plats will buy up to Chairmans so they can be EXP equivalent?

Last edited by sdix; Dec 9, 2013 at 2:07 pm
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jspira
Yes. The date is correct. Here are some details:

above from:
American and US Airways Outline Customer Benefits From Merger
Surprisingly, the statement doesn't seem to mention US elites getting upgrades on AA flights or vice versa.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Surprisingly, the statement doesn't seem to mention US elites getting upgrades on AA flights or vice versa.
The merger FAQ at the US site states that upgrades on AA will not be part of the reciprocal benefits for US elites:

1. What Dividend Miles Preferred benefits will be recognized on American and when?
Beginning in early January, we’ll announce exciting benefits available to Dividend Miles Preferred members when flying on American and vice versa.
2. How will complimentary upgrades be affected?
Upgrades will remain the same for Preferred members when flying US Airways. Preferred members will not be eligible for upgrades on American operated flights at this time.
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...int=fpus_21222
(click on the FAQ tab)
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
It seems the Jan 7 enhancement is limited.
From http://www.usairways.com/arriving in the FAQs
Note, the picture on the splash page is the same as on AA's, but the content is different on both websites.
Dividend Miles Preferred benefits
1. What Dividend Miles Preferred benefits will be recognized on American and when?

Beginning in early January, we’ll announce exciting benefits available to Dividend Miles Preferred members when flying on American and vice versa.
2. How will complimentary upgrades be affected?

Upgrades will remain the same for Preferred members when flying US Airways. Preferred members will not be eligible for upgrades on American operated flights at this time.
3. Will automatic upgrades continue?

Yes. Automatic upgrades will continue as usual and there is no change for Preferred members when flying US Airways. Upgrades are not available on American operated flights at this time. We’re working toward an integrated upgrade policy between the two carriers and will keep you updated when such benefits are available.
Steve
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
AA and US have 2 different models for upgrades. I wonder which one will win out: 500 miles or complementary for all tiers.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Yes, I posted this the other day after reading the date in one of the weekend newspaper stories, and see it has now been confirmed. IIRC there would only be limited reciprocal benefits at that time, like elite priority check-in/boarding, free checked baggage and lounge access, as well as crediting US flights to AAdvantage and AA flights to the US program. Additional cross overs would evolve during the 1st and 2nd quarters, likely most dealing with FF program benefits inflight (upgrades, preferred seating).

I don't see the same status match approach UA/CO took during its merger, so we end up with dual status...but it will be interesting to see how the upgrade issue is ultimately resolved (without pissing off we ExecPlats who'd lose our exclusive CPUs).
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Any thoughts on when AS Elites will see benefits on pmUS?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:27 pm
Suspended

I tried calling US CP desk today to get a seat on an upcoming AA flight where there were no seats available except for purchase or preferred members (I have no AA status). CP agent tried calling someone at AA but it went nowhere -- basically AA agents aren't able to assign the preferred seats to anyone except AA elite members (computers wouldn't allow it). The US CP agent said she would have same problem if someone from AA called her.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I am going to end up flying US a fair amount between January 7 and when the codeshare numbers for AA flights come into play. Depending on when I have to buy tickets, probably 6-7 segments out of the 60 I'd need to renew PMAA Plat. I'm hoping that by the time I get to 54 segments on AA, I can call and they'll be able to see the US segments and renew me for another year.

As far as these flights go, I'm hoping to at least get any checked baggage fees waived by showing an AA Platinum card. Remembering back to the TWA merger, I'm not expecting much beyond that until the codeshares come online.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by masonuc
I tried calling US CP desk today to get a seat on an upcoming AA flight where there were no seats available except for purchase or preferred members (I have no AA status). CP agent tried calling someone at AA but it went nowhere -- basically AA agents aren't able to assign the preferred seats to anyone except AA elite members (computers wouldn't allow it). The US CP agent said she would have same problem if someone from AA called her.
As AA, US will be operating as separate carriers for some time, on separate systems, first step will likely be to create reciprocal codeshare flights, which will enable such functions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.