Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scott56
if I need to change a flight you just cancel and rebook?
Yes. Technically, no voluntary changes are allowed to Airpass tickets. I’ve only been able to have hem changed in the event of IROPS or if I’m doing a same day flight change (they just revalidate the ticket if you meet the criteria for SDFC, including same
routing, etc.).

So, you cancel and rebook… just be prepared for a slight delay getting refunds back to your Airpass account balance. It generally takes at least 24 hours, sometimes can take several days, and occasionally, the refund just never processes.

You (or your company) will have to do your own accounting to ensure you aren’t missing funds from tickets that were never refunded.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Originally Posted by metallo
Yes. Technically, no voluntary changes are allowed to Airpass tickets. I’ve only been able to have hem changed in the event of IROPS or if I’m doing a same day flight change (they just revalidate the ticket if you meet the criteria for SDFC, including same
routing, etc.).

So, you cancel and rebook… just be prepared for a slight delay getting refunds back to your Airpass account balance. It generally takes at least 24 hours, sometimes can take several days, and occasionally, the refund just never processes.

You (or your company) will have to do your own accounting to ensure you aren’t missing funds from tickets that were never refunded.
ok thank you. So If bad weather ect , they will still change it the normal way?

we just purchased it today so I can still get out of it tmw morning if we want. Having second thoughts after reading this whole thread…
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scott56
ok thank you. So If bad weather ect , they will still change it the normal way?

we just purchased it today so I can still get out of it tmw morning if we want. Having second thoughts after reading this whole thread…
Yes. Involuntary changes and SDFC are the same as other tickets. I actually really like Airpass for several reasons, particularly for the fixed pricing, which has netted me significant discounts off full fare last minute tickets. I renewed my contract this year, but yes, do realize that not everything is perfect, including occasional IT and refund issues.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:07 pm

I still have about $4,500 expiring next month. Any routes with good values? is booking econ 7 days in advance get business class or do i have to book the specific catalog "instant upgrades"?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by codeontheboat
I still have about $4,500 expiring next month. Any routes with good values? is booking econ 7 days in advance get business class or do i have to book the specific catalog "instant upgrades"?
Experience JAL F class! You don't have to (and can't) enter Japan, though. Not sure I understand your second question.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:17 am

Would an AirPass purchase count for Loyalty Points under the new system?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
Would an AirPass purchase count for Loyalty Points under the new system?
Not sure there would be a point. Various AirPass levels come with various status levels included anyway.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Not sure there would be a point. Various AirPass levels come with various status levels included anyway.
As I understand it, the AirPass status is only good for the duration of the AirPass whereas LP status is good for the year earned as well as the following year. Thus, a Plat could buy a $30K Pass and (possibly) earn 7 X 30,000 LPs=210,000 LPs. And be an Ex. Plat. for two years.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by codeontheboat
Would recommend requesting a complimentary extension if you won't otherwise use all of your funds.

The plan ahead tickets book into 'H' inventory, which is Main Cabin -- however, you can upgrade these tickets in accordance with the usual AAdvantage elite upgrade process by waitlisting the upgrade. You can't get a complimentary upgrade in advance of your elite window with these tickets like you can with the "instant upgrade" fares, which in most instances seem to book into 'D' class.
private_md likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by metallo
Would recommend requesting a complimentary extension if you won't otherwise use all of your funds.
are there any limits to how long they will extend funds?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by stant
are there any limits to how long they will extend funds?
I'm not sure what they're offering currently - you'd have to call the Airpass team and ask. I believe most contracts have traditionally allowed an extension for a fee (a percentage of the remaining funds or something like that - details would be in your contract), but they were also, at least temporarily, doing complimentary extensions throughout the pandemic.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does the pricing of partner flights work? The web page makes it very clear how AA flights are priced but for partner flights it tells you to perform the calculation (without telling you what the cabin multiplier is) or points you to their online calculator (which only spits out prices for AA, not partners)
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA CK (8MM), Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
New to AirPass. Do you also receive Business Extra credit for AirPass bookings?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; B6 Mosaic
AirPass LP Earnings

Stupid question, I'm sure.... but I've not been able to find an answer either through AA's website or a search of the forums here. (And the AA live person I spoke with had no idea, either!)

If you book tickets using AirPass, do you accrue LPs based on (base fare+carrier fees)*status multiplier OR based on (BIS Miles * Cabin Multiplier)?

For example, if a AirPass ticket for a PP is ~$1000 ($900 base+fees, $100 taxes) and is ~2.5k BIS miles in length... would the LP accrual be:
a) 900*9 = 8100 LPs
b) 2500 * 3 - 7500 LPs

Or am I missing something else, entirely? And, yes... I'm aware that you can buy status by you investment in AirPass.... But some of us fly on corporate AirPass accounts and our earned status is higher than out assigned/purchased status.

Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2022, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Well Red
Stupid question, I'm sure.... but I've not been able to find an answer either through AA's website or a search of the forums here. (And the AA live person I spoke with had no idea, either!)

If you book tickets using AirPass, do you accrue LPs based on (base fare+carrier fees)*status multiplier OR based on (BIS Miles * Cabin Multiplier)?

For example, if a AirPass ticket for a PP is ~$1000 ($900 base+fees, $100 taxes) and is ~2.5k BIS miles in length... would the LP accrual be:
a) 900*9 = 8100 LPs
b) 2500 * 3 - 7500 LPs

Or am I missing something else, entirely? And, yes... I'm aware that you can buy status by you investment in AirPass.... But some of us fly on corporate AirPass accounts and our earned status is higher than out assigned/purchased status.

Thanks!
LOL I just realized I have zero idea how LPs work with Airpass tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.