Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:39 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Have they figured out how to apply SWUs to Nexgen tickets yet? When it first launched, they couldn't, because Nexgen tickets can't be "changed" (only refunded and repurchased), but that can't be the final outcome, right? Basically, looking to buy J and upgrade to F on JFK-LAX, to use one of my soon-expiring SWUs.
Last I discussed with the AirPass rep in May 2022, can't apply SWU to Airpass tickets.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Last I discussed with the AirPass rep in May 2022, can't apply SWU to Airpass tickets.
Ridiculous!
private_md likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Deal killer right there.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
Deal killer right there.
Remember you can almost always get J for the price of Y (D/I/R class) and F for the price of J (A class). Prior to Nexgen, you could book D/I/R at the Y fare and upgrade to A with SWU. While I lament the loss of this feature, I'm not sure it's a dealbreaker.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
the below quote from Concierge Key thread
Airpass allows this type of purchasing. Normal ticket buyers are not officially allowed to purchase tickets in this way.
I didn’t realize this was allowed. Not doubting you, but is it somewhere in the fine print? I couldn’t find it in the Airpass FAQ.

I would love to avail myself to this benefit but don’t want to do anything that runs awry of program rules.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tismfu
the below quote from Concierge Key thread
I didn’t realize this was allowed. Not doubting you, but is it somewhere in the fine print? I couldn’t find it in the Airpass FAQ.

I would love to avail myself to this benefit but don’t want to do anything that runs awry of program rules.
No it's not written anywhere, but complete flexibility is one of the hallmarks of the program. I've literally been told by Airpass and CK agents to just "book both" when dealing with flights that overlap. Don't sweat it.

EDIT: Up until a few month ago, Airpass tickets were just reservations that were not charged until AFTER you flew, you could literally book hundreds.

Last edited by BlooJoo; Jun 24, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:35 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It doesn’t seem completely unfair. People were using it to double-upgrade essentially.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Reps told me the same. Just book 2 flights if I’m not sure. The refund is usually back within a day.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Hearing Airpass may be doing some “enhancements” soon. Not sure what they are but will try and find out
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scott56
Hearing Airpass may be doing some “enhancements” soon. Not sure what they are but will try and find out
Like, in what area?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:08 pm

Like, in what area?
that’s what I would love to know. We have airpass and united flex. I was talking to my rep about united flex and she told me they are working on enhancements soon and she would get back to me on them. Curious on what they will be.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by metallo
Yes. Involuntary changes and SDFC are the same as other tickets. I actually really like Airpass for several reasons, particularly for the fixed pricing, which has netted me significant discounts off full fare last minute tickets. I renewed my contract this year, but yes, do realize that not everything is perfect, including occasional IT and refund issues.
i had no idea AP tickets can not be changed. isnt that counter intuitive for that level of pre-paid "investment"? makes no sense. luckily, it looks like you can mass book various segments with static/locked last min pricing so you can go ape wall on book/cancel simultaneous overlapping bookings.

website notes:
https://airpass.aa.com/airpass-faqs/

No change or cancellation fees
Change of plans? No problem. Make changes or cancel your trip with no fees.

also, can anyone give more detail on contract timing? how does that work? is it always 12 mo with possible 12 month extension? so if i want to keep things simple, starting Jan 1st to dec 31st contract would make more sense for ease of record keeping? i dont want to keep track of expenses from the contract mid year to mid year (aug to aug).

one more thing. my understanding is that this AP is a glorified prepaid gift card w/ benefits that expire in 12 months. use it or lose it, correct? meaning, if someone wires $50k, they better be using that full. and was CK still $50k or $60k?

Last edited by GundamWing01; Aug 16, 2022 at 3:27 pm
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:59 pm

Has anyone gotten their free annual wifi?

https://airpass.aa.com/airpass-faqs/

What are the complimentary in-flight amenities?

Members enjoy a complimentary snack or fresh meal and two standard alcoholic beverages when traveling on AirPass. When traveling on AirPass with a companion, you each enjoy a complimentary snack or fresh meal and one standard alcoholic beverage. Complimentary domestic Wi-Fi is also available to you through an individual annual AirPass Wi-Fi code.
anyone know max number of devices? current wifi sub is 2 for $50/mo.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
So could someone clarify or verify the other poster who state you do not get your elite benefits if I buy a non air-pass ticket or on a award ticket?
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
I should have been more specific. I was only talking about Airpass tickets. For other rev or miles tickets normal elite benefits are unchanged. Just for clarification though, AA is no longer allowing EP or CK members to use SWU upgrades for Airpass tickets. It use to be you could book a Y=UP to J Airpass reservation and then use your SWU to from from Business (D) to F (Flagship First) on routes that offered first class. SWUs are arguably the most valuable EP and CK benefit. The new contract also is vague on whether economy Airpass tickets are even eligible for 500 miles upgrades for themselves and companion travelrss. I have told by AA they they should not be allowed but in practice so far they are working on NextGen tickets allow the Airpass holder to upgrade but not the companion. Sticker/500 miles upgrades are another elite benefit that most likely will not apply to Airpass issued tickets once the dust settles. Business Extra upgrades which once worked (albeit barely) with Airpass tickets are also now prohibited.
Is this confirmed and official? A YUP/D cannot be upgraded to three-class F? Is this stated anywhere? Sucks because I do that a lot. Edit to add: I do not have a new contract; I've just been forced onto NexGen portal. I always called the CK desk to upgrade my YUP/D's with a SWU or miles. Would CK even know they're not upgradeable?
Originally Posted by metallo
Take a look at my post above (#726) where I described what happened when I spoke with the CK desk about my J to F SWU never re-ticketing. That’s how I found out it’s no longer allowed on Airpass tickets.

When I called in to apply the SWU, the CK agent did it (apparently not being aware of the new rule). The ticket was never re-issued, so I contacted them again (did it via email and got the policy in writing from the CK “manager on duty” that SWUs are no longer allowed for Airpass).

Basically, if you want three class F, you have to buy the full fare F, or you could buy full fare J and get the F instant upgrade for the same price that books into A. You can’t book instant upgrade J and use a SWU for F anymore, though.
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
Yes, this is confirmed. It has nothing to do with agent/representative knowledge or willingness to help. In fact, read up thread a few days. CK/EP agents (which are the same agents that handle Airpass calls) apparently have mistakenly applied SWU/Mileage upgrade instruments to new NextGen tickets and despite the reservation showing the first class cabin the ticket will never re-issue and the upgrade never actually occurs because a new ticket number cannot be generated. These new NextGen Airpass tickets are automatically flagged as non-reissue-able and non-changeable by the ticketing system. To use a SWU or mileage upgrade (ie to book into A class) a reissue is required. No re-issue means no new ticket with the upgraded cabin which means no boarding pass in the ground control system which means no flying in the first class cabin. The original issued ticket in business class will prevail. It really sucks.

This is not spelled out anywhere in the new or old contracts but the internal AA M&Ps said that legacy Airpass reservations were upgradable up to issuance (which usually occurred a day prior to travel) either by miles, SWU or BizExtra (BE upgrades actually happen after issuance via a backend sabre loop process which has also now be fully automated/locked down by AA) but the AA M&Ps for the NextGen tickets say upgrades and/or changes/reissues are not allowed (which really defeats the original intention of Airpass which was suppose to be selling flexibility at a premium). The reason 500 miles/sticker upgrades (for non Y-UP economy to business upgrades) are still working (at least for the cardholder) is because those types of upgrades are handled quite differently and do not require a re-issued ticket (they are handled by the ground operations or 'day of travel' systems which actually kick in at around T-120ish prior to departure).

Any AA program (whether it be Airpass, Business Extra or AAdvantage) is based on mutual trust between the company and the customer to do the right thing. Sadly I think AA has severely breached that trust with the changes it's forced upon its once valuable Airpass customers.
omg. is this still the case in FY22? any updates? still the same? after reading many old posts from last year, im def concerned about the flexibility for AP flyers w/ nextgen. at this level of investment, there should be max flex and benefits for upgrades/companions etc.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:57 pm
Suspended

So I’ve never been able to get the Airpass radio button to show on mobile browser! How do you do it? I’m talking iPhone (not iPad which uses desktop browser.)

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 26, 2022 at 11:33 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.