Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2021, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by tiredprofessor
"Improved" was sarcasm as you suspect.

I did discuss the system wides, and I was told they're reviewing everything. I think the fact they stopped the migration is a good thing. Yet, those of us with the new rules are still not in a great place.
I'm guessing the SWU restriction applies to those that haven't been converted to the new system anyway, though?

One thing I am pleased about is the ability to book JAL. If you can find the instant upgrade to F (on J fare), the price for JAL F is unbeatable. Assuming Japan opens up, looking forward to using that in March/April 2022.
TravelerMSY and codeontheboat like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 7:50 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I'm guessing the SWU restriction applies to those that haven't been converted to the new system anyway, though?

One thing I am pleased about is the ability to book JAL. If you can find the instant upgrade to F (on J fare), the price for JAL F is unbeatable. Assuming Japan opens up, looking forward to using that in March/April 2022.
I hadn't thought about the instant upgrades being valid on other airlines.

When I put JFK-HND into the calculator on airpass.aa.com, I get a one-way cost of $3,684 for Flagship Business, which I assume is similar for JL business. A half-round-trip (currently) seems to be $4,670 booked in advance and $5,597 within 21 days. Assuming you get the instant upgrade, I'd say getting roundtrip JL F on this route for $7k is a sizable discount over the normal price which right now seems to be $25k. -- if you're looking to buy a JL F ticket you might as well buy a $10k AirPass.
codeontheboat likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA: 1MM/Lifetime Gold; AA: CK; Hyatt: Globalist; Marriott: Titanium Elite, Lifetime Platinum Elite
LHR-JFK J are cheaper right now as well.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
New to Airpass. Part of the reason I signed up was for ease of flight changes. Am I missing something, or MUST I call in any time I want to switch to a different flight?

I’m used to going to “change flight” in my itinerary and paying any applicable fare difference, but thus far, for all of my Airpass reservations, it says I must call.

That is a time dump and definitely takes away from the purported convenience of Airpass.

Hopefully someone will tell me I have it all wrong and direct me to a way to make changes without a phone call
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:12 pm

Hello,

I booked a flight for me and my spouse. I am the air pass holder. Unfortunately, I may not be able to make the flight. Is it possible that I cancel myself but my spouse can still fly using the original booking paid by my air pass?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by codeontheboat
Hello,

I booked a flight for me and my spouse. I am the air pass holder. Unfortunately, I may not be able to make the flight. Is it possible that I cancel myself but my spouse can still fly using the original booking paid by my air pass?
I doubt it. However, under the "new program", maybe there's more flexibility there. I think the better move would be to not cancel your ticket, let her fly (if they ask at the airport, say you had an emergency), then cancel yours after since they're 100% refundable. Risky strategy for sure.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VFR
I hadn't thought about the instant upgrades being valid on other airlines.

When I put JFK-HND into the calculator on airpass.aa.com, I get a one-way cost of $3,684 for Flagship Business, which I assume is similar for JL business. A half-round-trip (currently) seems to be $4,670 booked in advance and $5,597 within 21 days. Assuming you get the instant upgrade, I'd say getting roundtrip JL F on this route for $7k is a sizable discount over the normal price which right now seems to be $25k. -- if you're looking to buy a JL F ticket you might as well buy a $10k AirPass.
Yeah the Instant Upgrades apply to the other carriers. Getting the JUP is always a challenge on the website through, since basically you need J sold out, but F to be open.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tismfu
New to Airpass. Part of the reason I signed up was for ease of flight changes. Am I missing something, or MUST I call in any time I want to switch to a different flight?

I’m used to going to “change flight” in my itinerary and paying any applicable fare difference, but thus far, for all of my Airpass reservations, it says I must call.

That is a time dump and definitely takes away from the purported convenience of Airpass.

Hopefully someone will tell me I have it all wrong and direct me to a way to make changes without a phone call
As far as I know, no changes are allowed to Airpass tickets at all (except perhaps in the case of IROPS or something else potentially within AA’s control). If you want a voluntary change, you’re theoretically supposed to just cancel your old reservation and book a new one, since you can do so without penalty on Airpass tickets. The wrinkle in that, though, is the new NextGen system, where funds are debited immediately upon ticketing, and you won’t necessarily get a timely refund.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by metallo
As far as I know, no changes are allowed to Airpass tickets at all (except perhaps in the case of IROPS or something else potentially within AA’s control). If you want a voluntary change, you’re theoretically supposed to just cancel your old reservation and book a new one, since you can do so without penalty on Airpass tickets. The wrinkle in that, though, is the new NextGen system, where funds are debited immediately upon ticketing, and you won’t necessarily get a timely refund.
In fairness, true to their recent promise, refunds in the NextGen system are now finally super fast (1-2 days).
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I doubt it. However, under the "new program", maybe there's more flexibility there. I think the better move would be to not cancel your ticket, let her fly (if they ask at the airport, say you had an emergency), then cancel yours after since they're 100% refundable. Risky strategy for sure.
Thank you. I can still go to the airport and check in. Can I cancel my portion of the flight after I check in with her?
I am assuming yes since I read stories that people cancelling business classes after going to a lounge or following celebrities.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:54 am
Suspended

Updates

As we continue to enhance the AirPass experience, we’re listening to your feedback and optimizing the online account management platform to provide the features you value most.

Streamlined refund process

We’re making the AirPass refund process easier and more efficient should your travel plans change. Refunds are processed automatically and are available within four business days from the time your trip is canceled. To ensure your refund is processed promptly, please cancel your trip prior to departure via aa.com, American Airlines Reservations or your preferred travel agency.

More ways to upgrade

You can now enjoy confirmed systemwide upgrades when traveling on AirPass. Simply follow the American Airlines upgrade process by logging in to aa.com to check upgrade availability and contacting your elite service desk to confirm your upgraded seat. If you cancel an upgraded trip, please call your elite service desk to have your upgrade reinstated for future use. Your unused upgrade will be available in your AAdvantage® wallet within two business days.

We sincerely appreciate your partnership and thank you for being a valued AirPass member.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
New to airpass. Is all booming through AA.com now ? Still trying to figure it all out
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
To my knowledge, yes. I simply check the AirPass box on the initial aa.com booking screen when I want to use it. Unable to book AirPass via app.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Originally Posted by tismfu
To my knowledge, yes. I simply check the AirPass box on the initial aa.com booking screen when I want to use it. Unable to book AirPass via app.
hopefully the app comes eventually. Most of my bookings are on the app.

if I need to change a flight you just cancel and rebook?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Doesn’t have to be on AA.com. Can call Airpass or your TA can book Airpass tix. I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.