Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by wutlol
FWIW, any of you looking to “buy” CK through Airpass for $65k should wait until April 5th; I was informed today by someone in the know that a decent discount will be made available and known on that date for this particular tier of AAdvantage benefits.

Sadly I don’t have specifics but it was made clear to me that it would be definitely worth the wait over the standard offer.
Just got a call from the AirPass team and it is a pretty good discount from the normal $60K qualifying level if you want CK. Like >30% better...
Shawn02139 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jhalapin
Just got a call from the AirPass team and it is a pretty good discount from the normal $60K qualifying level if you want CK. Like >30% better...
40k?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by donotblink
40k?
Yes, it is $40,000 for individual CK.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by donotblink
40k?
Yep. You’d have to want CK pretty badly for that kind of cash. Airpass is probably the most expensive travel there is. I did run the numbers on routes I fly and it looks like with Airpass it's actually more to book coach with AP than what I am paying for FC seats.

I do change plans frequently, but with the elimination of change fees this is a non starter for me.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:49 am

Yep. You’d have to want CK pretty badly for that kind of cash. Airpass is probably the most expensive travel there is. I did run the numbers on routes I fly and it looks like with Airpass it's actually more to book coach with AP than what I am paying for FC seats.

I do change plans frequently, but with the elimination of change fees this is a non starter for me.
It all depends on your routes. On some international routes AirPass provides a significant discount for Business class travel. YMMV.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist

Exactly my experience and opinion as well, however not a popular observation in this thread 😉

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
It all depends on your routes. On some international routes AirPass provides a significant discount for Business class travel. YMMV.
Genuinely curious to see some specific examples of routing and carriers. Anything sub-$2500 r/t tpac/tatl/tpol?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
True. 95% of my travel is all domestic US so the number just don't work for me. I wish they did,
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Agree that the no change fee makes Airpass value proposition drop a lot.

They seem to have given up on the special shuttle pricing, which makes that more attractive.

I'd be interested in an alternative Airpass product, which would just be the ability to pre-pay $1,000 chunks of value to use like airpass but at regular prices, and have unused ticket value refunded automatically back to the airpass bank when a flight sin't taken, without having to keep track fo ticket numbers or call AA to use the credit.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:19 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
I'd be interested in an alternative Airpass product, which would just be the ability to pre-pay $1,000 chunks of value to use like airpass but at regular prices, and have unused ticket value refunded automatically back to the airpass bank when a flight sin't taken, without having to keep track fo ticket numbers or call AA to use the credit.
You could probably get a good full-service travel agency that would do that for you. You'd still have to talk on the phone to the travel agent though.

It remains to be seen what post-pandemic fares look like. With no change fees, you're probably comparing the current AAirpass structure to full-fare Y and J -- it's geared toward people that will basically show up at the airport and get on the next flight. The problem now is that it does not seem to offer a particularly significant discount over normal full-Y fares, and any discounted fares are cheaper than an AAirpass fare. Large customers probably are not paying $0.40/mi as the base rate, that's just a high starting point for negotiations.

I did not realize that AAirpass rates are usable on IB, AY, and JL. I think I read that fuel surcharges are still added to international rates though, and it's odd that BA is not on the list. Maybe it makes more sense for frequent international travelers where fares could be in the tens of thousands of dollars.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
Originally Posted by VFR
You could probably get a good full-service travel agency that would do that for you. You'd still have to talk on the phone to the travel agent though.
Yes, you can do this, without prepayng. There are TAs who will keep track of your unused tickets for future use, charge no fees, communicate by text,email or phone, and might even have an extra exclusive AA perk or two to offer as well.
VFR likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Genuinely curious to see some specific examples of routing and carriers. Anything sub-$2500 r/t tpac/tatl/tpol?
South American routes in business class is what drove me to AirPass originally. When I start traveling again I’ll re-evaluate and see if it makes sense to continue with AirPass then. (And whether it even makes sense to continue with AA vs. DL or UA.)
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Airpass April Promotion - CK Status For Less

Sorry to post with only 2 business days left, but if you subscribe to Airpass by Friday April 30 5pm Central, there is a special promotion being targeted to former CK-level Airpass members (as I am). Anyone is eligible, but they are not advertising it widely.

Concierge Key status is typically $60,000 for an individual Airpass membership (up to 2 pax) or $120,000 for a group / business membership (up to 8 pax). The promotion is now $40,000 for individual and $80,000 for group. This is a steal if you can justify the spend.

You can call Airpass at (877) 229-8284 to inquire and sign up. Unlike some years in the past, credit cards are allowed for payment.

N.B. - Only the primary member is granted CK status
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by trojanman
Sorry to post with only 2 business days left, but if you subscribe to Airpass by Friday April 30 5pm Central, there is a special promotion being targeted to former CK-level Airpass members (as I am). Anyone is eligible, but they are not advertising it widely.
As there's an extant master thread discussing Airpass, I've gone ahead and merged this post into that thread. Thank you for letting the community know about this promotion.

~Moderator
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by trojanman

Concierge Key status is typically $60,000 for an individual Airpass membership (up to 2 pax) or $120,000 for a group / business membership (up to 8 pax). The promotion is now $40,000 for individual and $80,000 for group. This is a steal if you can justify the spend.

You can call Airpass at (877) 229-8284 to inquire and sign up. Unlike some years in the past, credit cards are allowed for payment.

N.B. - Only the primary member is granted CK status
The question I've asked before and I don't think I've seen an answer is: can you use Airpass funds for non-Airpass travel (i.e. regularly marketed fares)? Or do you have to use the $40k for the Airpass fares?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
The question I've asked before and I don't think I've seen an answer is: can you use Airpass funds for non-Airpass travel (i.e. regularly marketed fares)? Or do you have to use the $40k for the Airpass fares?
Airpass funds can only be used to cover Airpass fares (rather than the publicly available fares at AA.com). You can also use the funds to purchase Five Star service. Unfortunately, you cannot just find any fare at AA.com and apply your Airpass funds to it.

When an Airpass member logs into his/her AA account, next to the "redeem miles" checkbox, there is a second checkbox that says "Airpass." If you click that box and search, it will display links to available Airpass fares for the flight, which are completely separate from the normal fares on AA.com and can vary even amongst Airpass members, based on the rates in their individual contracts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.