Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
Instant Upgrade to First and AirPass First are both available. AirPass Business is not available.
J sold out before you could check. I’ll find another. Incidentally, how much is instant upgrade to F? The Biz class price of $1808++, what’s the total of each of these two First Class options, including taxes and fees?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
J sold out before you could check. I’ll find another. Incidentally, how much is instant upgrade to F? The Biz class price of $1808++, what’s the total of each of these two First Class options, including taxes and fees?
With AirPass you don’t see taxes/fees until the charges appear in your account a day or two after flight. So you can calculate the fare in first or instant upgrade to first (business) based on mileage, your mileage rate, and your multiplier for that region, but total will vary as taxes/fees vary. Your sales rep should be able to get exact pricing if you want, but the taxes/fees are generally a small delta. Recall that (except for the PlanAhead or whatever it is called) airpass tickets are totally changeable/cancelable/flexible, so compare accordingly to your use case. For me that flexibility is huge.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
With AirPass you don’t see taxes/fees until the charges appear in your account a day or two after flight. So you can calculate the fare in first or instant upgrade to first (business) based on mileage, your mileage rate, and your multiplier for that region, but total will vary as taxes/fees vary. Your sales rep should be able to get exact pricing if you want, but the taxes/fees are generally a small delta. Recall that (except for the PlanAhead or whatever it is called) airpass tickets are totally changeable/cancelable/flexible, so compare accordingly to your use case. For me that flexibility is huge.
Thanks! My rep confirmed the YUP book into R, D or I, I’m guessing the lowest available. Curious about the instant upgrade to F. I’ll call it a JUP. Guessing it books into A and prices at AirPass J rate? Ya think?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Thanks! My rep confirmed the YUP book into R, D or I, I’m guessing the lowest available. Curious about the instant upgrade to F. I’ll call it a JUP. Guessing it books into A and prices at AirPass J rate? Ya think?
Correct on both fronts. The caveat is that Instant Upgrade to First (J-UP) is only available to purchase when Instant Upgrade to Business (Y-UP) is sold out on 3-cabin flights. The JFK-SFO example quoted above being a rare example when booking further out on the transcons.
BlatheringPenguin likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:00 am

There is no such thing as a JUP with Airpass (ie JUP from Business to Flagship First). There used to be a glitch several years back when AA used F and A for domestic First Class on both three class as well as two class flights that allowed a JUP but this has long been fixed and the contract language never supported such. Only a YUP to Business/Domestic from Airpass full fare economy is valid and allowed now. Also, please be advised that Airpass has significant taxes and fees that add to the cost of a ticket when it is debited from the Airpass account. In many circumstances these can be a 30% surcharge that's added to the Airpass fare (especially if your going to LHR or likewise).

If you're using the $60K Airpass as a shortcut to CK status just be advised that it's highly unlikely you will get CK again the following year unless you pony up another $60K for a new Airpass contacts at then current rates and also remember that CK will expire at the 12-month end of the first year of your contract as opposed to the calendar year. Simply put, Airpass is an extremely expensive way for an individual to buy CK status (especially if you're looking to fly Flagship First Intercontinental or Transcon). Airpass is really a corporate travel program that makes sense for companies spending in $1MM per year with AA (at which point negotiation comes into play) yet at those levels there are other players (such as AMEX) that will always have a cheaper and more comprehensive corporate discount travel that covers more than just AA metal.

Lastly, Airpass contact rates were raised in 2018 and I would expect additional escalations in some of the bands by end of this year or next year. Also, the following is just conjecture, but based on my observations there is an ongoing internal struggle with in AA between AAdvantage and Airpass/Meeting Services (the two business units Airpass/Mtg Svcs were all but combined over the past year and a half). AAdvantage does not like Airpass as it costs them internal revenue bookings (as communicated to me on multiple occasions). Since AAdvantage and the sale of AA miles is basically what makes the company profitable these days I see AAdvantage winning the battle in the near future by truly limiting AAirpass to true corporate customers that spend hundreds of thousands if not millions with AA on an annual basis, Again, purely speculation at this point but the writing is on the wall.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by daron4000
Correct on both fronts. The caveat is that Instant Upgrade to First (J-UP) is only available to purchase when Instant Upgrade to Business (Y-UP) is sold out on 3-cabin flights. The JFK-SFO example quoted above being a rare example when booking further out on the transcons.
I don't think that is true. If D,I,R=0 the upgrade option is not available. If Y=1+ and D,I,R=0 and A=1+ the upgrade option still is not available. Also, it should be noted that if Y is sold out but D or I or R is more than zero YUP should be available but I have seen where the website not show it and you have to call Airpass reservations to book it.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:21 am

Also please be aware the married segment rules apply to Airpass bookings and are quite frequently present. For example, LAX-DFW may show D available and DFW to JFK may also show D available but LAX-DFW-JFK will then show D=0. Also, for a "through fare" meaning origin to destination mileage cost fare basis the booking code must be the same for all segments and the maximum allowed segments for a through fare is now TWO! So you can't book LAX-DFW in R and DFW to JFK in I and expect O to D mileage multiple. Also, the new rule is that if you book JFK-DFW D, DFW-LAX in D and LAX-STS in D it will not price out as the mileage between JFK and STS. Instead it will price as two segments Y-UP JFK-LAX and Y-UP LAX-STS.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:03 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Presumably in the case of AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC having availability, an Airpass agent would be happy to book you separate tickets?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Really? This seems so odd. Why would they only offer the JUP if the YUP is sold out? This doesn’t really follow logically...
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
There is no such thing as a JUP with Airpass (ie JUP from Business to Flagship First). There used to be a glitch several years back when AA used F and A for domestic First Class on both three class as well as two class flights that allowed a JUP but this has long been fixed and the contract language never supported such. Only a YUP to Business/Domestic from Airpass full fare economy is valid and allowed now. Also, please be advised that Airpass has significant taxes and fees that add to the cost of a ticket when it is debited from the Airpass account. In many circumstances these can be a 30% surcharge that's added to the Airpass fare (especially if your going to LHR or likewise).

If you're using the $60K Airpass as a shortcut to CK status just be advised that it's highly unlikely you will get CK again the following year unless you pony up another $60K for a new Airpass contacts at then current rates and also remember that CK will expire at the 12-month end of the first year of your contract as opposed to the calendar year. Simply put, Airpass is an extremely expensive way for an individual to buy CK status (especially if you're looking to fly Flagship First Intercontinental or Transcon). Airpass is really a corporate travel program that makes sense for companies spending in $1MM per year with AA (at which point negotiation comes into play) yet at those levels there are other players (such as AMEX) that will always have a cheaper and more comprehensive corporate discount travel that covers more than just AA metal.

Lastly, Airpass contact rates were raised in 2018 and I would expect additional escalations in some of the bands by end of this year or next year. Also, the following is just conjecture, but based on my observations there is an ongoing internal struggle with in AA between AAdvantage and Airpass/Meeting Services (the two business units Airpass/Mtg Svcs were all but combined over the past year and a half). AAdvantage does not like Airpass as it costs them internal revenue bookings (as communicated to me on multiple occasions). Since AAdvantage and the sale of AA miles is basically what makes the company profitable these days I see AAdvantage winning the battle in the near future by truly limiting AAirpass to true corporate customers that spend hundreds of thousands if not millions with AA on an annual basis, Again, purely speculation at this point but the writing is on the wall.
Thanks! Sorry but there are in fact JUP’s on the three class transcon. They price at Airpass J and book into A (I think). Also, taxes in the three class transcons are about $100 each way for Biz, so nowhere near 30%. What do you mean $60K is an extremely expensive way to buy CK? What cheaper way is there?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Also please be aware the married segment rules apply to Airpass bookings and are quite frequently present. For example, LAX-DFW may show D available and DFW to JFK may also show D available but LAX-DFW-JFK will then show D=0. Also, for a "through fare" meaning origin to destination mileage cost fare basis the booking code must be the same for all segments and the maximum allowed segments for a through fare is now TWO! So you can't book LAX-DFW in R and DFW to JFK in I and expect O to D mileage multiple. Also, the new rule is that if you book JFK-DFW D, DFW-LAX in D and LAX-STS in D it will not price out as the mileage between JFK and STS. Instead it will price as two segments Y-UP JFK-LAX and Y-UP LAX-STS.
OK I think I follow. So for two segments if the booking classes are the same, it will price as O&D, but only up to two segments?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Also note that the A321T is almost always sold out in Y, leading to a rolling upgrade through to F. As an Airpass with CK flyer I was upgraded Y-UP to F every time I flew.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmappleby
Also note that the A321T is almost always sold out in Y, leading to a rolling upgrade through to F. As an Airpass with CK flyer I was upgraded Y-UP to F every time I flew.
Really? Wow, I didn’t know it sold out in Y all the time. What days/times were your flying patterns?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

I've bought J-UPs multiple times on AirPass. Not sure where you're getting your information from. Of course, inventory has to exist.

Not sure where you will get CK for less, on the CK thread people spending $75k are being asked to spend more to stay in. If it's offered at $60k that would be a good value. Though note, most AirPass customers also book regular flights some of the time, for example, I just flew PHL-SFO-JFK for $1000 and J was empty so I got almost instantly bumped to J in 767 both ways. When I did AirPass I spent about $40k on AirPass and another $20k on aa.com

As to AirPass changes, the people I speak to in that department told me they are focused on expansion. I did the cost per mile comparison before and after AirPass and AirPass is INSANELY profitable. I'm sure there's interdepartmental rivalry but that's big companies for you.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmappleby
I've bought J-UPs multiple times on AirPass. Not sure where you're getting your information from. Of course, inventory has to exist.

Not sure where you will get CK for less, on the CK thread people spending $75k are being asked to spend more to stay in. If it's offered at $60k that would be a good value. Though note, most AirPass customers also book regular flights some of the time, for example, I just flew PHL-SFO-JFK for $1000 and J was empty so I got almost instantly bumped to J in 767 both ways. When I did AirPass I spent about $40k on AirPass and another $20k on aa.com

As to AirPass changes, the people I speak to in that department told me they are focused on expansion. I did the cost per mile comparison before and after AirPass and AirPass is INSANELY profitable. I'm sure there's interdepartmental rivalry but that's big companies for you.
Thanks. You seem super knowledgeable. Do the JUP’s book into A? Did you ever upgrade a YUP to A using miles/SWU? How many miles? Easy to clear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.