Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Returning to Airpass for the first time in a few years. Two questions:

1. Will the $70k for CK immediately count as my EQD for the year or will it accrue as I spend miles?
2. Are they still issuing CKs loyalty cards made from MD-80s?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Originally Posted by wutlol

1. Will the $70k for CK immediately count as my EQD for the year or will it accrue as I spend miles?
It will accrue as you spend miles. I don't know what they are doing currently, but I received an MD 80 luggage tag in January.... Big positives for me are no change fees, Y ups, cheaper business fares to Europe (cheaper than available on aa.com). Upgrades from J to F are great.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt

Did the minimal spend for CK increase again?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
I've used Airpass off and on for the last 5 years or so and generally I'm a fan but had an issue popup where my account is locked out / disabled. I contacted customer service (via phone yesterday and then again today via email - [email protected]) to resolve the issue and the response I got is below. Yes, that's 7 to 10 days for a password reset; during which I have no access to pull my balance, see flight activity, get receipts, etc. I really couldn't believe it.

Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Michael D
I have the exact same question. It was $50k back in the day, but increased to $60k. now its at $70k for CK? can anyone confirm? not surprised i guess because sometimes ive heard there is no set guideline and negotiations are done in private. it could even be up to $100k for CK.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Michael D
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
I have the exact same question. It was $50k back in the day, but increased to $60k. now its at $70k for CK? can anyone confirm? not surprised i guess because sometimes ive heard there is no set guideline and negotiations are done in private. it could even be up to $100k for CK.
AAirpass has sent me at least three snail mail brochures within the past year, so I called to inquire further about it a few months back. They sent me a powerpoint slide deck explaining the program, and I was able to speak with a sales rep also. They were still advertising CK status for a $60k commitment at that time, so if it's increased again, it's been a fairly recent change.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by metallo
AAirpass has sent me at least three snail mail brochures within the past year, so I called to inquire further about it a few months back. They sent me a powerpoint slide deck explaining the program, and I was able to speak with a sales rep also. They were still advertising CK status for a $60k commitment at that time, so if it's increased again, it's been a fairly recent change.
There is a difference between an individual AirPass contract with only a single user (though companions allowed) and an AirPass contract that allows multiple users to be attached to it. Thresholds for CK are different between those two cases.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by metallo
thank you for the DP. i wonder if things have changed this year because i have read many times airpass is going away or get restricted to corp accounts.

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
There is a difference between an individual AirPass contract with only a single user (though companions allowed) and an AirPass contract that allows multiple users to be attached to it. Thresholds for CK are different between those two cases.
i guess youre talking about a business with multiple employees? that would make sense since having each person/employee get their own contract sounds ridic. curious how a family unit of 3-5 pple would work. i guess status/contract is all negotiated. do you have any experience/examples with numbers?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:28 pm

Family unit of 3-5 ppl should work just the same as a small business; I don’t see any difference from a small business.

As of reasonably recently, 100K contract will get you 10 slots for people with a range of options on how to distribute elite status, including awarding CK to one person (and no status to anyone else).
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:18 pm

Family unit of 3-5 ppl should work just the same as a small business; I don’t see any difference from a small business.

As of reasonably recently, 100K contract will get you 10 slots for people with a range of options on how to distribute elite status, including awarding CK to one person (and no status to anyone else).
thank you very much for he info. super helpful.

so what happens with companions and upgrades? is it safe to assume its no different than a normal rev/award ticket EXP elite having to use SWU or 500 sticker to get them upgraded with you to the front? not to mention you never get to sit together after an upgrade. if i get an individual contract, i believe you can NOT book other people with AP and they must be on a different itn altogether so if the companion has no status, then i would have to call, link record locators then use certs/stickers and sit separately?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
thank you very much for he info. super helpful.

so what happens with companions and upgrades? is it safe to assume its no different than a normal rev/award ticket EXP elite having to use SWU or 500 sticker to get them upgraded with you to the front? not to mention you never get to sit together after an upgrade. if i get an individual contract, i believe you can NOT book other people with AP and they must be on a different itn altogether so if the companion has no status, then i would have to call, link record locators then use certs/stickers and sit separately?
Shouldn’t be any different from a normal revenue ticket for companion upgrades.

Every AirPass I’m aware of has a “Companion Feature” where you can bring 1 person along (charging it to the AirPass and the miles etc all credit to the AirPass user who is bringing a companion with them), though the way the contracts are written it appears that that might be negotiable and not be enabled on every AirPass contract.

Sitting together when upgrading? 🤷.♂️ Sorry, neither AirPass nor CK are going to help you with that. If seats are available together, they’re available. If they’re not, they’re not. Best you can do is pick strategically so that any seat swaps you’re asking for are “like for like”.

AirPass is a great option if it fits your particular needs, travel patterns, etc.. In our case it saves us a lot of money over buying last minute tickets and doing frequent last minute itinerary changes, but that’s mostly in business class on a few particular international routes. At any time AA could adjust the equation of AirPass charging and/or change the typical fares on our frequently traveled routes and we’d find ourselves doing something different.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:58 am

Shouldn’t be any different from a normal revenue ticket for companion upgrades.

Every AirPass I’m aware of has a “Companion Feature” where you can bring 1 person along (charging it to the AirPass and the miles etc all credit to the AirPass user who is bringing a companion with them), though the way the contracts are written it appears that that might be negotiable and not be enabled on every AirPass contract.

Sitting together when upgrading? 🤷.♂️ Sorry, neither AirPass nor CK are going to help you with that. If seats are available together, they’re available. If they’re not, they’re not. Best you can do is pick strategically so that any seat swaps you’re asking for are “like for like”.

AirPass is a great option if it fits your particular needs, travel patterns, etc.. In our case it saves us a lot of money over buying last minute tickets and doing frequent last minute itinerary changes, but that’s mostly in business class on a few particular international routes. At any time AA could adjust the equation of AirPass charging and/or change the typical fares on our frequently traveled routes and we’d find ourselves doing something different.
thank you for all that info. super helpful. i was not aware of any potential companion features w/ individual passes. that makes the overall value prop more interesting. i rely on domestic WN CPass a lot, but i need something for international.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Considering going back to AirPass. Has anyone negotiated a contract with a payment schedule?

e.g. 60k contracted including CK, in 4 quarterly payments of $15k?

I tried this before and wasn’t able to do a deal.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Question Airpass: Confused About Airpass and YUP Fares

Never mind see next post, thanks!

Last edited by BlooJoo; Feb 5, 2020 at 8:33 pm
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
OK, read the whole thread!

Questions (looking mostly at JFK-SFO):
  1. How do I determine if a market has YUPs for Airpass? Do I just look for published YUPs in the GDS? Specifically “YUP”, not other -UPs?
  2. How much are the YUPs? Do they price at the published YUP fare or the unrestricted Airpass Y fare? Or something else?
  3. What do domestic YUPs book into? I? D?
  4. Are they flexible? Refundable?
  5. Are they available one way?
  6. Can they be upgraded at time of booking to A with miles on three class?
  7. Should an individual plan to negotiate any terms with Airpass when buying such as the fare multiplier or other? I am a single purchaser looking at the $60K ConciergeKey option.
Thanks!

Last edited by BlooJoo; Feb 5, 2020 at 8:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.