Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
OK, read the whole thread!

Questions (looking mostly at JFK-SFO):
  1. How do I determine if a market has YUPs for Airpass? Do I just look for published YUPs in the GDS? Specifically “YUP”, not other -UPs?
  2. How much are the YUPs? Do they price at the published YUP fare or the unrestricted Airpass Y fare? Or something else?
  3. What do domestic YUPs book into? I? D?
  4. Are they flexible? Refundable?
  5. Are they available one way?
  6. Can they be upgraded at time of booking to A with miles on three class?
  7. Should an individual plan to negotiate any terms with Airpass when buying such as the fare multiplier or other? I am a single purchaser looking at the $60K ConciergeKey option.
Thanks!
1,3: I haven’t paid too close attention to which fare bucket must be available to make an instant upgrade available, so I can’t answer this authoritatively. But, around half of my bookings are with the instant upgrade feature.

2: instant upgrades charge at the unrestricted airpass economy class rate

4: Instant Upgrade airpass bookings are just as flexible as normal airpass bookings. Note that Airpass itineraries aren’t charged against your account until after flight, so there’s not really such a thing as a “refund”.

5. I do all of my airpass bookings 1-way to maximize ease of changes when my plans change.

6. I’m so infrequently on full-3-class flights I can’t answer this from experience, but I think the answer is yes.

7. I would be very surprised if anything was negotiable at that level of purchase. You will have the option of a single person Airpass vs. multi-user. Otherwise I don’t know what you’d be negotiating on.

-BP

Last edited by BlatheringPenguin; Feb 6, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
1,3: I haven’t paid too close attention to which fare bucket must be available to make an instant upgrade available, so I can’t answer this authoritatively. But, around half of my bookings are with the instant upgrade feature.

2: instant upgrades charge at the unrestricted airpass economy class rate

4: Instant Upgrade airpass bookings are just as flexible as normal airpass bookings. Note that Airpass itineraries aren’t charged against your account until after flight, so there’s not really such a thing as a “refund”.

5. I do all of my airpass bookings 1-way to maximize ease of changes when my plans change.

6. I’m so infrequently on full-3-class flights I can’t answer this from experience, but I think the answer is yes.

7. I would be very surprised if anything was negotiable at that level of purchase. You will have the option of a single person Airpass vs. multi-user. Otherwise I don’t know what you’d be negotiating on.

-BP
Thanks! In speaking with Airpass, everything you've said is correct! Regarding #6 , yes they can be upgraded. Another thing I learned is that you can use your Airpass funds to buy your companion's ticket so long as they're on the same flight on the same fare in the same cabin.

Last edited by BlooJoo; Feb 9, 2020 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:34 am

Thanks! In speaking with Airpass, everything you've said is correct! Regarding #6 , yes they can be upgraded. Another thing I learned is that you can use your Airpass funds to buy your companion's ticket so long as they're on the same flight on the same fare in the same cabin.
yes a companion ticket is possible on airpass. For the last few months there’s been a website bug that prevents booking on the web, but you just call or email and get it booked.(Edited to note that the website has started working again for booking companions.)

note that the miles (both award and eqm/eqd/segments) from the companion ticket accrue to the airpass traveler, not to the companion. So on tickets/itineraries the companion shows as having the same advantage number as the primary traveler.

Last edited by BlatheringPenguin; Feb 9, 2020 at 1:01 pm
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:21 am
Suspended

yes a companion ticket is possible on airpass. For the last few months there’s been a website bug that prevents booking on the web, but you just call or email and get it booked.

note that the miles (both award and eqm/eqd/segments) from the companion ticket accrue to the airpass traveler, not to the companion. So on tickets/itineraries the companion shows as having the same advantage number as the primary traveler.
Wow, that's weird, but awesome. So I get double everything for flights taken with a companion?

ETA: Regarding the companion, if I get CK as part of my contract, do they get to carry my status for upgrade priority?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:03 pm

Wow, that's weird, but awesome. So I get double everything for flights taken with a companion?

ETA: Regarding the companion, if I get CK as part of my contract, do they get to carry my status for upgrade priority?
Yes and Yes. (Though I have no experience with upgrade priority on Airpass tickets with a companion as I'm always booked either with "Instant Upgrade" or straight into Business or First.)
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Yes and Yes. (Though I have no experience with upgrade priority on Airpass tickets with a companion as I'm always booked either with "Instant Upgrade" or straight into Business or First.)
Thanks again!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:16 am
Suspended

Does anyone know if I can deposit additional funds into my Airpass account mid-contract year if I deplete my balance? Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:22 pm

Does anyone know if I can deposit additional funds into my Airpass account mid-contract year if I deplete my balance? Thanks.
Yes, we regularly do supplemental purchases. The contract spells out the process and limitations (typically a minimum amount for supplemental purchases to avoid additional fees).
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Yes, we regularly do supplemental purchases. The contract spells out the process and limitations (typically a minimum amount for supplemental purchases to avoid additional fees).
Thank you.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Sorry for the continued questions, but my rep seems unable to answer this: What class do the YUP's book into? D, I or R?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
OK, read the whole thread!

Questions (looking mostly at JFK-SFO):
  1. How do I determine if a market has YUPs for Airpass? Do I just look for published YUPs in the GDS? Specifically “YUP”, not other -UPs?
  2. How much are the YUPs? Do they price at the published YUP fare or the unrestricted Airpass Y fare? Or something else?
  3. What do domestic YUPs book into? I? D?
  4. Are they flexible? Refundable?
  5. Are they available one way?
  6. Can they be upgraded at time of booking to A with miles on three class?
  7. Should an individual plan to negotiate any terms with Airpass when buying such as the fare multiplier or other? I am a single purchaser looking at the $60K ConciergeKey option.
Thanks!
1. IME the only time I haven't found a YUP domestically is in a newly launched market. It's possible I could get it if I call in to ask, but otherwise have always just been able to book online. Less experience with INTL so won't comment.
2. Price at the AAirpass Economy rate
3. They can book into I, D, or R depending on underlying availability. As long as one of the buckets is available you can book an instant upgrade. Doesn't matter which one it is they earn the same amount of miles.
4. Yes and yes.
5. Yes.
6. Yes (although I have only done so with SWUs not miles)
7. Limited negotiating leverage IME

You can see the pre-tax prices for individual contracts at this link (go to the bottom of the page): https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by daron4000
1. IME the only time I haven't found a YUP domestically is in a newly launched market. It's possible I could get it if I call in to ask, but otherwise have always just been able to book online. Less experience with INTL so won't comment.
2. Price at the AAirpass Economy rate
3. They can book into I, D, or R depending on underlying availability. As long as one of the buckets is available you can book an instant upgrade. Doesn't matter which one it is they earn the same amount of miles.
4. Yes and yes.
5. Yes.
6. Yes (although I have only done so with SWUs not miles)
7. Limited negotiating leverage IME

You can see the pre-tax prices for individual contracts at this link (go to the bottom of the page): https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
Thank you! The answer to number 3 is very interesting. I wonder if that's why my rep is having a hard time getting the answer.

So even if it's R1, I0, D0, you can get the YUP (if published)? That's great news, since R is higher inventory!

Last edited by BlooJoo; Feb 11, 2020 at 5:44 am
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:11 am

Thank you! The answer to number 3 is very interesting. I wonder if that's why my rep is having a hard time getting the answer.

So even if it's R1, I0, D0, you can get the YUP (if published)? That's great news, since R is higher inventory!
If you can find an example flight (date, route) with that availability I'm sure one of us with AirPass would be happy to check instant upgrade availability, but yes I expect in your example instant upgrade would be available.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:16 am
Suspended

If you can find an example flight (date, route) with that availability I'm sure one of us with AirPass would be happy to check instant upgrade availability, but yes I expect in your example instant upgrade would be available.
Today AA2652 JFK-SFO is R1 D1 I0, so that will at least test something. R and D seem to always be the same after checking 10 days of flights. If it's R1, it's D1, but it can be I0. Can you test today's 2652?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:01 pm

Today AA2652 JFK-SFO is R1 D1 I0, so that will at least test something. R and D seem to always be the same after checking 10 days of flights. If it's R1, it's D1, but it can be I0. Can you test today's 2652?
Instant Upgrade to First and AirPass First are both available. AirPass Business is not available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.