Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Garvey6
Anyone have experience with the Air Pass? Is it worth it? Convenience? Would like to hear some thoughts and observations. Good or bad
We have merged your query into the existing AirPass thread. Please be sure to read the Wikipost at the top of the page as well as the posts with members' experiences a nd contributions.

/Moderator
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Garvey6
Anyone have experience with the Air Pass? Is it worth it? Convenience? Would like to hear some thoughts and observations. Good or bad
As said, there's lots of info already in this thread. A few thoughts based on my recent travel:

It is a fantastic scheme for people with very changeable travel needs, and who therefore pay a lot of change fees and full fare economy tickets. Note that a full fare economy ticket JFK-DFW is something like $1500... you may be buying heavily discounted tickets.

If you fall into that category, you can save ~25% with Airpass, and usually get a guaranteed one class upgrade at time of booking.

So for JFK-LHR RT, you will pay $2800 + taxes for Y-UP to J. Don't get on the flight? Don't pay.

Also, short hops 1-200 miles are super inexpensive.

You can also negotiate AAdvantage status, depending on how much you spend up front.

If you fall into this specific category of people, Airpass will save you money, and provide you the flexibility you always wanted.

Also note that I supplement Airpass with paid tickets - discount business for long-haul, discount domestic First sometimes when the price is right, and deep discount economy for vacation travel with the wife (SWUs FTW). It doesn't have to be a one stop shop.

If not, buy discount economy and pay the change fees from time to time :-)

Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta DM
Airpass Search

Hi all, I am thinking about joining AirPass before the end of the year and was wondering if someone could do a search for me? I'd like to know what TPA > NYC is in first on 12/17 for two people. Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
TPA-NYC costs the same on 12/17 as any other day in each fare class (obviously depends on which NYC airport). The question for you i which option are you booking? AAirpass folks will provide you the pricing formula to use.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ausstone
Hi all, I am thinking about joining AirPass before the end of the year and was wondering if someone could do a search for me? I'd like to know what TPA > NYC is in first on 12/17 for two people. Thanks!
I'm not sure what the current rates are, but as of 2013 the introductory Airpass package priced miles at 40 cents each. TPA-LGA is ~1010 miles, so if 40 cents is still accurate that would make a one-way between those cities ~$347 for a Plan Ahead ticket booked into H, and ~$464 for a fully flexible ticket booked into Y (or possibly instantly upgraded, if available).

Does anyone have any advice on the current package prices and mileage allotments available to individuals?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:40 pm

Appreciate prior comments. I have a major concern on how AAirpass members are going to have their AAirpass usage credited for elite qualifying dollars (EQD) coming 2017. I have called AAirpass in Dallas twice, expressing concern on fair value for AAirpass mileage usage.

To be specific, AAirpass has said, in cryptic areas on the website that AAirpass usage for EQD would be credited as "20% of the mileage flown". All well and good. But I then asked about EQD credit for AAirpass travel in F and C classes, for which AAirpass members are subtracted premium amounts from their mileage banks. I asked, "Shouldn't there be a premium crediting for AAirpass pax for their EQD, if they are charged increased mileage?"

The answers ranged from "duh" to "don't worry" to "we'll see". I felt substantially blown off. I would encourage AAirpass members to engage AA on this and advocate for increased EQD credit when flying on a premium AAirpass trip (for which extra AAirpass miles are charged).
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've let my AAIrpass lapse right now but that sounds like par for the course over there.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:14 am

I also have NOT renewed my Airpass. There are many unanswered questions about EQD. First year in a long time I have decided not to renew...
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
I'm not sure what the current rates are, but as of 2013 the introductory Airpass package priced miles at 40 cents each. TPA-LGA is ~1010 miles, so if 40 cents is still accurate that would make a one-way between those cities ~$347 for a Plan Ahead ticket booked into H, and ~$464 for a fully flexible ticket booked into Y (or possibly instantly upgraded, if available).

Does anyone have any advice on the current package prices and mileage allotments available to individuals?
This is as of Jan 2016... it may change next month.

The multipliers are available online here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-cust/preLogin.do?pageName=howToWorks

For TPA the multiplier is 0.9 for Y-UP, which is how I usually book, so 1013 x 0.9 x 0.4 one way. $364.68 plus taxes.

I paid $0.40 on the mile all this year. AA offered CK for $50k up front spend.

On the rare occasion Y-UP into Business/First is not available, you book into full fare Y, and are therefore top of the upgrade list (provided you are EXP).

It's not the least expensive way to travel, but if flexibility is important to you, it's the most convenient.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by FullFare
Appreciate prior comments. I have a major concern on how AAirpass members are going to have their AAirpass usage credited for elite qualifying dollars (EQD) coming 2017. I have called AAirpass in Dallas twice, expressing concern on fair value for AAirpass mileage usage.
My take is that the folks at Airpass have a tough time. They are a small business unit in a big company, and don't have a lot of influence with departments like Revenue Management and AAdvantage.

You can help them by talking to your sales rep and explaining you will take your business to United if they don't give you a reasonable answer before you have to renew.

Put it in writing in a nice, clearly explained email, which they can forward on up the management chain.

That's my advice, anyhow, based on experience working with them.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
My understanding is that my company is, and has been for many, many years, AA's largest corporate account in terms of $ spend (we must have 10,000+ employees with AAirpass), and people will howl if the EQD issue isn't dealt with fairly...so hopefully large AAirpass users can help push the issue.

Another fun fact, we can use AAirpass for personal travel (just need to reimburse company), and the rates for both personal and work travel are similar to those for individual users (though assume there is a rebate on the back end, etc.).
Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by MGW2000
My understanding is that my company is, and has been for many, many years, AA's largest corporate account in terms of $ spend (we must have 10,000+ employees with AAirpass), and people will howl if the EQD issue isn't dealt with fairly...so hopefully large AAirpass users can help push the issue.

Another fun fact, we can use AAirpass for personal travel (just need to reimburse company), and the rates for both personal and work travel are similar to those for individual users (though assume there is a rebate on the back end, etc.).
MGW it sounds like you work at the same bank that I used to - if so that Aairpass for personal use was about the best thing to happen to my last minute travel plans since I first discovered the points game!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by daron4000
MGW it sounds like you work at the same bank that I used to - if so that Aairpass for personal use was about the best thing to happen to my last minute travel plans since I first discovered the points game!
And flights to Miami / Palm Beach during Christmas / New Year's!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:03 am

Confused

I looked at the Airpass site and then read this thread and am even more confused . I can't believe the whole EQD hasn't been sorted. I have a few DCA-HKG trips this year and am trying to figure out whether Airpass makes sense - not sure I really get it . Can some kind soul , in the spirit of the holidays, give me an idea how much I would pay with Airpass for DCA-HKG in J or F ? thank you
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:39 pm

Anyone have any tips for finding Y-Up fares valid for Asia? I can find them pretty easily for Europe, but they seem to be virtually absent from Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.