Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Is anyone else baffled by the availability of international Instant Upgrade fares on Airpass?

- It seems they aren't available on one-way trips
- Some RTs have availability: LAX-LHR-LAX, JFK-LHR-JFK, PHL-LHR-PHL, even JFK-LHR-PHL
- Some don't exist: JFK-LHR-LAX and require Airpass Business

The price point for Airpass Business is off as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Instant Upgrades have only ever been available when booking as a round trip, never on one-ways. I do agree with you regarding wonky availability and price point for straight-up business...these are the main reasons I'm holding off on renewing for the time being. I've been able to find much better deals in regular paid J and F, at least across the Atlantic and across the country.

Flexibility was one reason I went for Airpass, but found out that when booking an Instant Upgrade across the pond, the return cannot be changed once the outbound is flown. Well, it CAN, but you lose the Instant Upgrade or get charged full business fare if you want to guarantee the J seat. Same even goes for same day routing change- I tried changing a FRA-DFW-CLT to FRA-CLT (as Instant Upgrade space became available on the non-stop a few days before booking- wasn't there when I originally booked), but was told even up until day of departure it wouldn't be possible to switch without cancelling the ticket and buying a new one way under Airpass. No cancel fee, but also no Instant Upgrade if I did that...Airpass flexibility would have only come at a VERY high cost in this case.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY

If you just want to spend now and fly later- you could also just buy Aa gift cards. No expiry on those. Maybe they'll give you a discount for a bulk purchase.
AA gift cards can only be used for itineraries originating in the USA. Does Airpass have the same restriction?

Last edited by zpaul; Jul 25, 2016 at 7:56 am
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ACA321
Instant Upgrades have only ever been available when booking as a round trip, never on one-ways. I do agree with you regarding wonky availability and price point for straight-up business...these are the main reasons I'm holding off on renewing for the time being. I've been able to find much better deals in regular paid J and F, at least across the Atlantic and across the country.

Flexibility was one reason I went for Airpass, but found out that when booking an Instant Upgrade across the pond, the return cannot be changed once the outbound is flown. Well, it CAN, but you lose the Instant Upgrade or get charged full business fare if you want to guarantee the J seat. Same even goes for same day routing change- I tried changing a FRA-DFW-CLT to FRA-CLT (as Instant Upgrade space became available on the non-stop a few days before booking- wasn't there when I originally booked), but was told even up until day of departure it wouldn't be possible to switch without cancelling the ticket and buying a new one way under Airpass. No cancel fee, but also no Instant Upgrade if I did that...Airpass flexibility would have only come at a VERY high cost in this case.
Agreed. 98% of my segments are domestic, so I am happy on the whole.

It's something I will bring up on renewal because it looks - on the face of it - to be something which is straightforward to change.

As you say, Airpass is not really flexible at all for International.

One trick is to book multiple tickets and then cancel the one you want to keep, but that only works until you fly the first segment.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by zpaul
AA gift cards can only be used for itineraries originating in the USA. Does Airpass have the same restriction?
I just checked and Airpass allows you to book ANY valid destination pair in the AA network. LHR-JFK-LHR came up correctly.

I wasn't able to find any instant upgrade fares for international pairs tonight (originating from the US, or not)... Not sure why not.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:28 pm

Has anyone else done the calculations with the new revenue-based mileage system as of August 1st? I've done a few calculations, and it can be as much as 3x better (ORD-BNA was 1114 miles, now 3239), or as bad as 40% better (SFO-JFK was 6465, now 10240). JFK-LHR was 8630, now 15188.

All in all, Airpass customers seem to benefit nicely from this change. It's not a surprise, since Airpass tickets are around 25% less than a full Y fare, so customers are paying more than discount economy, but it's pleasant nonetheless.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by jmappleby
I just checked and Airpass allows you to book ANY valid destination pair in the AA network. LHR-JFK-LHR came up correctly.

I wasn't able to find any instant upgrade fares for international pairs tonight (originating from the US, or not)... Not sure why not.
^ That's what I thought, but since there was the conversation about using gift cards over Airpass, being based outside of the USA that point came to mind.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:48 am

Is anyone else baffled by the availability of international Instant Upgrade fares on Airpass?

- It seems they aren't available on one-way trips
- Some RTs have availability: LAX-LHR-LAX, JFK-LHR-JFK, PHL-LHR-PHL, even JFK-LHR-PHL
- Some don't exist: JFK-LHR-LAX and require Airpass Business

The price point for Airpass Business is off as far as I'm concerned.
It appears that American has pulled all of the "D" class Intl Instant Upgrade fares on AirPass to LHR from DFW, MIA, ORD and even JFK (which always had the most inventory).

This renders AirPass worthless unless you're prepared to purchase full fare business or "J" fares at $8K-$10K RT. Or - in other words - essentially the same as the other airlines on the same routes. We won't be renewing our corporate AirPass after December. The competitive advantage it offered on Intl fares is gone.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Captain Aubie
It appears that American has pulled all of the "D" class Intl Instant Upgrade fares on AirPass to LHR from DFW, MIA, ORD and even JFK (which always had the most inventory).

This renders AirPass worthless unless you're prepared to purchase full fare business or "J" fares at $8K-$10K RT. Or - in other words - essentially the same as the other airlines on the same routes. We won't be renewing our corporate AirPass after December. The competitive advantage it offered on Intl fares is gone.
I've written to them to request information. Possible it's just a glitch.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Captain Aubie
So the Airpass D fares for travel are great, because they work out around $2800+taxes. This is similar to a discount business, but with a little more flexibility, since discount J is only available on certain routes/dates/carriers and is non-refundable.

I can fly tomorrow on BA RT to London for $7000, which is less than Airpass J, so there's really no situation where I'd consider using Airpass J. That's possibly because when I fly domestically, my plans regularly change several times in a week, but when I fly internationally, the meetings are planned further in advance.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:31 am

I've written to them to request information. Possible it's just a glitch.
I've been talks with AA for a few weeks on this and they say that for certain routes, RM have removed the A fare because it's busy in summer.

I pointed out that it's all international routes and all dates that A has gone from, and they don't have a response to that.

After that I said we wouldn't be renewing if this wasn't changed going forward and the Airpass rep encouraged me to put that in writing. She implied that a number of customers feel the same way.

Seriously considering PassPlus at this point. Newark is nearby so I could easily switch airline.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
I've been talks with AA for a few weeks on this and they say that for certain routes, RM have removed the A fare because it's busy in summer.

I pointed out that it's all international routes and all dates that A has gone from, and they don't have a response to that.

After that I said we wouldn't be renewing if this wasn't changed going forward and the Airpass rep encouraged me to put that in writing. She implied that a number of customers feel the same way.

Seriously considering PassPlus at this point. Newark is nearby so I could easily switch airline.
Has anyone seen availability again? I really am wondering the value in re-upping next year without it, given that I (and others) already upgrade as EXP on most of the domestic routes we fly, given our home bases. Just hoping I've had bad luck looking at pairs but it still seems to be cleared out.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by wutlol
Has anyone seen availability again? I really am wondering the value in re-upping next year without it, given that I (and others) already upgrade as EXP on most of the domestic routes we fly, given our home bases. Just hoping I've had bad luck looking at pairs but it still seems to be cleared out.
Yes, the inventory has come back just now. I just booked a ticket. Good news!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Yes, the inventory has come back just now. I just booked a ticket. Good news!
I think that is twice this year that instant upgrade was removed for all travel dates but then returned a few weeks later. It does take away some of the flexibility aspect of aairpass.

Last time it happened I was really frustrated because I had some urgent travel to do. I did the math and found airpass J to europe was more expensive than buying AA miles and doing an anytime J award. Leading me to be even more annoyed.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO
Air Pass

Anyone have experience with the Air Pass? Is it worth it? Convenience? Would like to hear some thoughts and observations. Good or bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.