Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
OK answered my own question. I also had a non-refundable A cabin ticket on the 12pm flight tomorrow (I needed to move my flight to get in earlier). This was blocking the booking of the 9am flight.

Airpass very kindly moved the 12pm reservation to the 9pm flight, so problem solved.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:20 pm

Base Rate

Has anyone heard of a change to the Base Rate for 2016? Will it be reduced? My boss is thinking of doing this later in the year. Seems advantageous for last minute flyers but I think a reduction would get him to sign up.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Zincstatus
Has anyone heard of a change to the Base Rate for 2016? Will it be reduced? My boss is thinking of doing this later in the year. Seems advantageous for last minute flyers but I think a reduction would get him to sign up.
I just bought at the current posted rates, $0.40 on the mile. Seems unlikely they would reduce it based on past fare changes, but I don't set AA policy
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jmappleby
I just bought at the current posted rates, $0.40 on the mile. Seems unlikely they would reduce it based on past fare changes, but I don't set AA policy
Ha - I could definitely see them lowering the base rate while also tinkering with the multipliers - resulting, of course, in a price increase.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by 869
Ha - I could definitely see them lowering the base rate while also tinkering with the multipliers - resulting, of course, in a price increase.
Right, and they have done that in the past. I believe AA is smart: the Airpass rate is pinned to be much less than inflated last minute rates and more than anything else. They know exactly what the market will pay.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:42 pm

Airpass is ending?

I was trying to ticket a flight in TPA with my Airpass and the AA folks at the ticket desk told me that they were trying to get rid of Airpass.

Note: I wouldn't necessarily call this a reliable source, since the lady in question wasn't able to even ticket me, and told me Airpass was losing money.

In recent talks with the Airpass team they inferred they intended to step up marketing, which is in conflict.

I suspect it's just an AA employee confusing Airpass with Lifetime Airpass, because Lifetime Airpass is a product with which AA clearly has sellers remorse...

Still, I'm interested in what others have heard.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So, Airpass funds expire after one year? (use it or lose it?)
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:21 am

I've found that normal res/ticketing agents actually know very little about Airpass- as in usually nothing at all aside from maybe knowing how to make an Airpass booking. I wouldn't put any stock into what that agent in TPA told you.

Dealing with Airpass agents directly though is great- they are very competent and helpful, but you are SOL if calling after DFW business hours or on a weekend. That being said, I never got the impression that the program is going away, and certainly hope it won't.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:09 am

AAirpass group is actively negotiating renewals so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Furthermore, last year I was a guest at a sporting event and a manager told me that ole Dougie had indicated he was "impressed with the numbers on AAirpass." Of course, this person is likely no more reliable than the person jmappleby spoke to!
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
So, Airpass funds expire after one year? (use it or lose it?)
Everything is agreed by contract so YMMV, but they have told me that you can keep the funds so long as you sign a contract for next year. Don't renew your contract, lose the balance.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:38 am

I don't want to open a public discussion of what AA is/is not willing to do in AAirpass contracts or as goodwill gestures that are contrary to the letter of the agreement. I believe the standard issue doc they will send you, however, allows for the 1-time extension of unused funds up to 12 months.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by 869
AAirpass group is actively negotiating renewals so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Furthermore, last year I was a guest at a sporting event and a manager told me that ole Dougie had indicated he was "impressed with the numbers on AAirpass." Of course, this person is likely no more reliable than the person jmappleby spoke to!
I haven't run the numbers yet but I'm certain that Airpass will be - on average - a higher cost per mile than I paid last year for non-refundable fares. Therefore more profitable for AA.

But it's not a like-like comparison, because I'm able to reach more customers and therefore do more business, by booking approximate travel in advance on Airpass, and changing it if needs be. Doing that with discount tickets is a killer, because you get hit by change fees and the fare difference for last minute travel. Before, I just stuck with my original routes. So that's a win-win for AA and I, which is kinda the point.

Also, the main problem with Airpass is they totally suck at marketing themselves. I work with a lot of people who travel a LOT, and none of them have ever heard of it.

Last edited by jmappleby; Apr 9, 2016 at 7:59 am
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
After evaluating whether airpass would be a good choice for my business, I've settled on the following: the $ amount of the Airpass should be on the order of the $ amount of last-minute flying that we do.

That's where the value and flexibility could be a big advantage.

There would be no good reason to book advance tickets that are unlikely to change using the Airpass.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
After evaluating whether airpass would be a good choice for my business, I've settled on the following: the $ amount of the Airpass should be on the order of the $ amount of last-minute flying that we do.

That's where the value and flexibility could be a big advantage.

There would be no good reason to book advance tickets that are unlikely to change using the Airpass.
If you're spending $30k a year on travel, I think in most cases the Airpass is worth trying. Why? Because you can buy $10k to start with and see how you like it.

The thing that's hard to explain is it has changed my flying habits. Because I can change tickets easily, I do, and so get to more customers, justifying the cost. You won't know if that works for you until you try it
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you can carry out business travel by planning in advance and buy nonrefundable fares and eat an occasional change and current fare package, that's great. Continue doing so.

If you tend to have more last minute travel or have to make changes and adjustments to your travel, particularly close to travel time, it may well be more cost effective to buy AirPass prepaid travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.