Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Y-UP no longer available?

I don't seem to be able to book Y-UP on r/t flights between USA (eg AUS/DFW) and LHR anymore.

Website shows Y-UP being available but booking into "R", however, it won't actually make a booking. This is odd because it used to book into "D".

Reservations initially said there was no Y-UP. Then they said it was fixed and gave me a record locator. After checking the booking class (by asking the website to email me) I saw they booked full J so called back. The second reservations agent said "there has never been a Y-UP fare in that market". I'm surprised by this because I have made several Y-UP bookings on this route in the past.

Has anyone else had any trouble? Anyone know if the Y-UP is generally being removed? Kind of a pain if it is as it typically means the cost of travel is being doubled.

I would be checking this directly with aairpass, but today is Saturday and they are closed until Monday.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Interesting- I logged in to see what would be available on DFW-LHR on some random dates, and see that Instant Upgrade is not available on any flight to LHR from DFW or ORD regardless of day, flight or availability of seats on ExpertFlyer. However, connections through CLT or PHL still offer the Instant Upgrade. Curious...

One can only hope this is a temporary glitch. Loss of Instant Upgrades on routes such as this would mean no more value in AirPass for me too.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Anyone have any luck recently? I recently tried to book PHL-LHR-PHL and PHL-MAN-PHL and no instant upgrades were available. When I tried to book online, it said that there was availability connecting through ORD, JFK, or MIA but when I tried to actually book, the website gave me an error and said to call AA. The Exec Plat line said that there were no Instant Upgrades despite what the website stated...
Old May 3, 2016, 9:01 am

why don't you call your account rep and ask?

Edit: on second thought, I guess many AAirpass users don't ever interface with the sales rep.

2E: Also, the sales rep that covers me would probably say something along the lines of "I don't know, let me check on that" and then I would never hear from him again. Until renewal season.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:34 am

Certainly seems like an LHR or UK thing...I just successfully booked my next trip to FRA with instant upgrades. I tried LHR through CLT, JFK or ORD but got the same error message as PHLnonstop. Seems they're yanking certain routes from instant upgrade eligibility.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Thanks to some business-related settlements,
am considering Airpass first time. As a working
freelance who travels, this is busn deduction &
this investment generates future income. I read:

>Concierge Key is available for $50k (individual)

If willing, as individual, has anyone negotiated anything better
for $75K or $100K advance lump sum pay? One gets a price by
multiplying 3 factors, right? One of the factors is personal &
not known until offered? Does anyone have knowledge of range
wrt personal multiplier factor? And do I understand correctly
that 7-day advance H Class lowest factor does NOT allow free
upgrade from econ to empty busn seat if available? And all
covered int'l flights must be on AA-USAir metal only? Thanks!

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; May 27, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Old May 27, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
Thanks to some business-related settlements,
am considering Airpass first time. As a working
freelance who travels, this is busn deduction &
this investment generates future income. I read:

>Concierge Key is available for $50k (individual)

If willing, as individual, has anyone negotiated anything better
for $75K or $100K advance lump sum pay? One gets a price by
multiplying 3 factors, right? One of the factors is personal &
not known until offered? Does anyone have knowledge of range
wrt personal multiplier factor? And do I understand correctly
that 7-day advance H Class lowest factor does NOT allow free
upgrade from econ to empty busn seat if available? And all
covered int'l flights must be on AA-USAir metal only? Thanks!
I'm not sure I understood all of your post but here's what I know:

1) spending 50-75-100k on aairpass is a LOT if you are paying yourself. I think I could, with out a doubt, do better buying, say, 20k and adding 10k as I need more but generally pre-paying discounted rates. I, however, don't need 100% flexibility every single day. Regarding your question about negotiating for something better than CK, I'm not sure what you're looking for.

2) Also not sure what you mean by personal factor. Aairpass prices are pretty clear.

3) No, advance purchase, plan ahead fares do not allow free upgrade on space available basis. Those fares book you into economy and then you can request a sticker or SWU upgrade. Of course, these could be "free" for yourself if you are EXP and clear.

4) Generally speaking, all aairpass flights on AA metal (us air is gone but i assume you are talking about paint jobs now). However, the aairpass contract is written in a way that tells me this is not always the case for big buyers. IMO, I think, however, that spending 100k won't get you access to other OW carriers using aairpass
Old May 28, 2016, 10:54 am

Thanks for response.
a. I need to "invest" $100K+ into my freelance business by end of 2016,
any I don't will be taxed 30-40%; as I asked, has anyone negotiated
extras for $75K or $100k in advance? AA Airpass page does state additional
benefits considered for amounts over $50K -- what they could be, I don't know,
maybe my request for free busn upgrade on 7-day advance rates...?
b. thought I read Airpass rep. would tell each new member their personal multiplier??
c. request sticker, SWU upgrade: what are these? do they = econ-to-busn? but only if busn empty seat?
Thanks to anyone answering, in advance!! :-::-::-::-::-:

UPDATE:

from: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-cust/preLo...ame=howToWorks

"Simply take the route mileage, the class of service multiplier and your contracted base rate to determine your AirPass fare."

I took this to mean a personal multiplier, no?

also: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-cust/preLo...geName=vipPrev

"There may be additional benefits for higher commitment levels as well as multiple traveler options, which your American representative or AirPass Customer Service team will be happy to review with you."

anyone, if willing, negotiated "additional benefits"?

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; May 28, 2016 at 11:09 am
Old May 28, 2016, 11:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Purchases for high amounts can include Concierge Key (which itself include Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership).

(Wikipost: "AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership.")
Old May 28, 2016, 3:20 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
They've been doing sales events in various ACs. Seems like they're no longer ignoring the product. Maybe they're willing to deal.

I'd ask for CK for the life of the Airpass funds. Also, make sure you're getting s multi-year product. I'm assuming you're not going to spend the entire 100k next year and really just want to pay now for 4x25k AAirpass years.
Old May 28, 2016, 4:03 pm

> assuming you're not going to spend the entire 100k next year and really just want to pay now for 4x25k AAirpass years.

Whoa. Didn't know Airpass had annual usage deadline-limitation...
Was figuring on ~10 busn int'l rt/yr & that $100K would spread
over decade. Not able to efficiently burn $25K annually;
more like $10K busn intl/yr with conservative ROI of $2 per $1
invested in flights 5-8 years after each rt flight.
Old May 28, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
> assuming you're not going to spend the entire 100k next year and really just want to pay now for 4x25k AAirpass years.

Whoa. Didn't know Airpass had annual usage deadline-limitation...
Was figuring on ~10 busn int'l rt/yr & that $100K would spread
over decade. Not able to efficiently burn $25K annually;
more like $10K busn intl/yr with conservative ROI of $2 per $1
invested in flights 5-8 years after each rt flight.
You'd be best of talking to the airpass sales people, but I doubt you would get anywhere near 100 r/t business class trips for $100K unless your are only going to Canada or Mexico.

Eg) DFW->LHR->DFW is about $8K r/t in business or $4K r/t when they offer the YUP fares. For $100K you could rely on getting 12 business class round trips. You may get 24 if YUP is available but YUP can be removed from routes even if business is empty. You may get enough advantage points for another 12 trips if you are EXP and the earning/spending rules don't change. So, realistically, you are looking at somewhere between 12 & 36 business class r/t trips for $100K on airpass.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:30 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

To clarify, the current pass is a fixed block of AAirpass miles that have to be used in a year. You can roll them forward to the next year if you renew the pass. I think the smallest one is around 25k miles at .40/mile base or $10,000.

If you just want to spend now and fly later- you could also just buy Aa gift cards. No expiry on those. Maybe they'll give you a discount for a bulk purchase.

I'm assuming you've already maxed out any retirement options like a SEP Ira or solo 401(k) for the deduction.

You might also look at United. I think they have a prepaid product (or at least used to) that works as you suggest. Pay up front then dollar amounts get deducted as you fly, with discounts over regular revenue fares. Pass Plus?

Last edited by TravelerMSY; May 30, 2016 at 5:41 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 2:33 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

What's your return on invested capital? Why not invest the money and just buy your tickets when you need to? Buying now saves taxes but you lose the opportunity cost on that money. The pass only really pencils when you typically already spend the annual amount or more on last minute economy or any first/business class fares.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:44 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

My personal AAirpass is the ghetto version. Just amass as many miles as possible at an attractive cpm and burn them for travel as needed. Even at anytime rates they beat the AAirpass for my travel patterns, at least pre-devaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.