Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Almost ready to pull the trigger here. Some final questions for any kind people that may know the answers:
  1. What is the time of stopover limit on domestic, 4 hours or 24 hours? Do you know if I arrived in LA after the last flight to SFO, can you force an overnight?
  2. If I do this March 1, my status is good for a year (the duration of the Airpass funds), or only until 12/31/20?
  3. Does the "spend" during my year, during which I'll be CK, count towards my requalification for CK the following year? I ask b/c this is a specific benefit of UA's PassPlus program. You essentially get United GS for two years out of it (second year not guaranteed). Does anyone have experience buying a CK bundled Airpass and then losing CK outright (or keeping) the following year?
  4. Will the $60K spent count as travel for Amex, yielding the 5X MR points?
  5. There seems to be inconsistencies around two CK benefits this year: two FFD dining passes & nominating one person EXP. Does anyone who bought a CK bundled Airpass have experience getting (or not getting) these? Do you think they can/need be negotiated in?
I think that's it for now. Thanks for everyone's help!

-BlooJoo
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Almost ready to pull the trigger here. Some final questions for any kind people that may know the answers:
  1. What is the time of stopover limit on domestic, 4 hours or 24 hours? Do you know if I arrived in LA after the last flight to SFO, can you force an overnight?
  2. If I do this March 1, my status is good for a year (the duration of the Airpass funds), or only until 12/31/20?
  3. Does the "spend" during my year, during which I'll be CK, count towards my requalification for CK the following year? I ask b/c this is a specific benefit of UA's PassPlus program. You essentially get United GS for two years out of it (second year not guaranteed). Does anyone have experience buying a CK bundled Airpass and then losing CK outright (or keeping) the following year?
  4. Will the $60K spent count as travel for Amex, yielding the 5X MR points?
  5. There seems to be inconsistencies around two CK benefits this year: two FFD dining passes & nominating one person EXP. Does anyone who bought a CK bundled Airpass have experience getting (or not getting) these? Do you think they can/need be negotiated in?
I think that's it for now. Thanks for everyone's help!

-BlooJoo
1. same as normal tickets. Does the booking engine offer you that as an option on normal paid tickets or award tickets?

2. status is good for the 1 year of the contract.

3. yes, from the point of view of that I know someone who traveled primarily on airpass and then earned CK based on that travel, but it was a lot more than 60K of travel. However, criteria for CK are not public. There’s no reason to believe that companion travel that credits to your account helps toward earned CK. (Also no indication it doesn’t.) Based on what we’ve seen reported in these forums I wouldn’t hold my breath for “earned” CK based on just 60K of airpass travel.

4. Yes

5. I’d expect predict you get the two FFD, but you shouldn’t consider it a guaranteed benefit. I would not expect a benefit of gifting EXP, as that’s a benefit you can “negotiate” with airpass by signing a larger contract.

Last edited by BlatheringPenguin; Feb 18, 2020 at 8:06 am
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
1. same as normal tickets. Does the booking engine offer you that as an option on normal paid tickets or award tickets?

2. status is good for the 1 year of the contract.

3. yes, from the point of view of that I know someone who traveled primarily on airpass and then earned CK based on that travel, but it was a lot more than 60K of travel. However, criteria for CK are not public. There’s no reason to believe that companion travel that credits to your account helps toward earned CK. (Also no indication it doesn’t.) Based on what we’ve seen reported in these forums I wouldn’t hold my breath for “earned” CK based on just 60K of airpass travel.

4. Yes

5. I’d expect predict you get the two FFD, but you shouldn’t consider it a guaranteed benefit. I would not expect a benefit of gifting EXP, as that’s a benefit you can “negotiate” with airpass by signing a larger contract.
Wonderful thank you
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Just got an email from an Account Manager... they just announced price changes, taking effect in March this year.
_kurt likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goldtiger
Just got an email from an Account Manager... they just announced price changes, taking effect in March this year.
Wow, those look like big price (multiplier) increases from the old chart.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:52 am
Suspended

If I'm reading this right, this is good for transcons in Biz. Down from 1.75X down to 1.59X for Biz on transcons. But bad for the YUP's.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by metallo
Wow, those look like big price (multiplier) increases from the old chart.
Yes, not nice at all... I called Airpass CS and the agent even was insinuating that they even thought the increases were dramatic.

Seems like AA is realllyyy milking Airpass for insane profit.

They have a promo if you renew early before March increase you stay locked into old pricing
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:58 am
Suspended

Yes, not nice at all... I called Airpass CS and the agent even was insinuating that they even thought the increases were dramatic.

Seems like AA is realllyyy milking Airpass for insane profit.

They have a promo if you renew early before March increase you stay locked into old pricing
I've asked my rep if I can sign before March 1 to lock in old pricing. I'm not signed up yet (not renewal in my case).
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I've asked my rep if I can sign before March 1 to lock in old pricing. I'm not signed up yet (not renewal in my case).
Curious to see what they say, hopefully, they let you keep old pricing. I'm still deciding whether or not it's worth renewing once new pricing kicks in.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:06 am
Suspended

Curious to see what they say, hopefully, they let you keep old pricing. I'm still deciding whether or not it's worth renewing once new pricing kicks in.
I planned on a year of YUP's JFK-SFO, so this hurts. Easier to book Biz directly though. F still the same. Also, for non Premium Transcons, if I'm willing to connect, domestic F on 1501+ miles got cheaper in paid F (but more expensive in YUP's). Basically they're going after the YUP's here.

Oh and Europe, which as already insane, is now more insane.

Last edited by BlooJoo; Feb 19, 2020 at 11:12 am
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:09 am
Suspended

Old table for comparison:

_kurt likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:51 am
Suspended

I've got another questions about Airpass that just occurred to me last night. Sorry!

OK, since Airpass doesn't charge for the flight until you've flown, it seems it's basically a fully flexible reservation. Let's say I'm doing weekly/biweekly transcons for the next 12 months. Could I theoretically just go in and book every single week's flights, thereby grabbing the YUP's, and then just cancel/change the ones I need as needed? Is there a limit to the number of reservations? Does my current Airpass funds balance need to be able to cover what's booked under my reservations?

I realize this behavior could be considered somewhat impolite if someone wasn't reasonably sure they were going to take these flights, but in my case, I would be. That doesn't mean I won't make changes, but this seems like a plausible strategy to basically ensure I get the YUP's for the flights I need. If it's possible that is.

Thanks!
-BlooJoo
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:09 am
Suspended

Bump...
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
AirPass question

Long story short, I got a new concur account after switching companies, and I am currently trying to book a one-way afternoon/evening work trip from Dallas to Salt Lake City for Mid-March.

Delta & American are both preferred carriers for my company, and Delta offers the A220 on the route(an aircraft I have not flown), however AA has "AirPass available."

So I guess the crux of my question is, what does the AirPass entail? And does it make it worth flying AA over DL's A220?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Long story short, I got a new concur account after switching companies, and I am currently trying to book a one-way afternoon/evening work trip from Dallas to Salt Lake City for Mid-March.

Delta & American are both preferred carriers for my company, and Delta offers the A220 on the route(an aircraft I have not flown), however AA has "AirPass available."

So I guess the crux of my question is, what does the AirPass entail? And does it make it worth flying AA over DL's A220?
Does your company have an AirPass contract? If so, it just sets the fare to a fixed rate as set by your company's AirPass contract. For you as a flyer, there will be no difference in benefits or experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.