Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jcbec
I am receiving conflicting information about ticket protection on AA to Oneworld on separate ticket. I was booked 26 May AA945 DFW-SCL Arriving 27 May, 001 ticket. Connect on LAN932 SCL-MDZ on 045 ticket stock. DFW-SCL segment is delayed 12hrs causing misconnect to SCL. Multiple agents (Exec Plat desk and DFW agents) have said that they cannot protect me on a flight SCL-MDZ. Is the information I am receiving correct? How would I explain to an agent that AA has to honor my connection to MDZ?
I believe this is an AA policy, not OW, of protecting misconnects on separate tickets, and as such, the information you are receiving seems correct. You're on what appears to be a separate ticket, and so as far as AA knows, you end your travel in SCL. That you have a separate ticket on LAN triggers LAN's policy, whatever that may be. Had you booked a single ticket DFW-SCL-MDW you would have been fine.

Basically AA has no obligation to honor your connection to MDZ, although LAN may be willing to help you out.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am receiving conflicting information about ticket protection on AA to Oneworld on separate ticket. I was booked 26 May AA945 DFW-SCL Arriving 27 May, 001 ticket. Connect on LAN932 SCL-MDZ on 045 ticket stock. DFW-SCL segment is delayed 12hrs causing misconnect to SCL. Multiple agents (Exec Plat desk and DFW agents) have said that they cannot protect me on a flight SCL-MDZ. Is the information I am receiving correct? How would I explain to an agent that AA has to honor my connection to MDZ?
You are using confusing terms and that is why you are getting incorrect information.

1. AA does, as a matter of policy, rebook across tickets to other OW carriers. That is handled on the ground on arrival. This is neither typical IATA practice nor is it a OW policy.

2. This does not equate to AA holding space for you on a later flight on another OW carrier, e.g. "protection", in case you are delayed. Thus, you are at the mercy of what crumbs are available on arrival. Those on single tickets will already have been acommodated.

The AA policy is not quite a full loaf, but it is far far better than offered by any other major carrier.

There is nobody to call and nothing to do at this point because you have not yet missed the origination of your second ticket.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by scnzzz
I believe this is an AA policy, not OW, of protecting misconnects on separate tickets, and as such, the information you are receiving seems correct. You're on what appears to be a separate ticket, and so as far as AA knows, you end your travel in SCL. That you have a separate ticket on LAN triggers LAN's policy, whatever that may be. Had you booked a single ticket DFW-SCL-MDW you would have been fine.

Basically AA has no obligation to honor your connection to MDZ, although LAN may be willing to help you out.
This is completely incorrect. AA, as the late-delivering carrier, would be responsible for getting the passenger to MDZ, regardless of LAN's willingness to do so. The passenger should present an AA agent with a copy of AA's separate-ticket protection policy (link below); it's possible that AA will re-route the passenger to avoid SCL altogether. As noted in the policy, the passenger is to be considered as if holding a single ticket to the final destination.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
Old May 27, 2015, 7:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Why not read the language directly in the wiki? There should be no cause for confusion; the policy is clear.

Refer the agent to the language in the wiki; AA must get you to Mendoza. Good luck.

Last edited by JDiver; May 27, 2015 at 8:14 am
Old May 27, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

This is completely incorrect. AA, as the late-delivering carrier, would be responsible for getting the passenger to MDZ, regardless of LAN's willingness to do so. The passenger should present an AA agent with a copy of AA's separate-ticket protection policy (link below); it's possible that AA will re-route the passenger to avoid SCL altogether. As noted in the policy, the passenger is to be considered as if holding a single ticket to the final destination.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
I stand corrected. Good to know.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Why not read the language directly in the wiki? There should be no cause for confusion; the policy is clear.

Refer the agent to the language in the wiki; AA must get you to Mendoza. Good luck.
Thank you for all the replies. Update: After asking multiple agents and ExecPlat phone desk to re-issue connection with no luck or willingness, I found an amazing AAdmirals Angel that sorted everything out. Albeit after a couple hours of work and phone calls (it was 4am after all). At first she said that I was being held on a connection to MDZ the day after arriving in SCL but I still did not have a ticket number. I pushed further and she called the Oneworld desk to essentially cancel my first leg of the LAN roundtrip SCL-MDZ and then re-issued a ticket on AA stock 001. This took about 2 hours. She assigned seats and once I arrived at SCL an AA agent called my name to give me my boarding pass for the next day. Have to admit that if I had not pushed the issue and not had a ticket re-issued I would probably would have been left to deal with the situation at SCL at 12:30AM with much worse results.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you for all the replies. Update: After asking multiple agents and ExecPlat phone desk to re-issue connection with no luck or willingness, I found an amazing AAdmirals Angel that sorted everything out. Albeit after a couple hours of work and phone calls (it was 4am after all). At first she said that I was being held on a connection to MDZ the day after arriving in SCL but I still did not have a ticket number. I pushed further and she called the Oneworld desk to essentially cancel my first leg of the LAN roundtrip SCL-MDZ and then re-issued a ticket on AA stock 001. This took about 2 hours. She assigned seats and once I arrived at SCL an AA agent called my name to give me my boarding pass for the next day. Have to admit that if I had not pushed the issue and not had a ticket re-issued I would probably would have been left to deal with the situation at SCL at 12:30AM with much worse results.
Thanks for the update!

You'll have to assuage your pain with some local wine. but it is a PITA that too many agents either don't know or are uninterested and you had to push so much.

Ergo, FlyerTalk.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:55 pm

Small nit, the AA paged linked by the FT wiki is dated 2010 and there's a note that says "subject to change without notice, and AA bears no responsibility for any consequences".
Old May 30, 2015, 11:33 pm

Separate tickets from XXX-ORD-XXX on AA and from ORD-LHR-ORD on BA. THe minimum connection time is honored. The AA policy states that it is the carrier whose flight was disrupted thus causing the mis connect is responsible for rebooking the ticket. So for example if the return flight on BA causes a misconnect on AA flight do I stay in Terminal 5 and ask a BA agent to reissue the ticket? And since the flight I will have missed is the last of the day would BA be responsible for overnight accommodations if the delay was non-weather related? Note: I will have travel insurance but wondered if I should expect to receive hotel vouchers.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA bears no responsibility once it has delivered you to Chicago since you are not connecting but on 2 unrelated journeys

AA has a policy of protecting passengers in case of misconnecting on separate tickers within OneWorld, but there is nothing documented that BA will do the same

If BA does assist, then it has no obligation to provide hotel accommodation et al
Old May 31, 2015, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA bears no responsibility once it has delivered you to Chicago since you are not connecting but on 2 unrelated journeys

AA has a policy of protecting passengers in case of misconnecting on separate tickers within OneWorld, but there is nothing documented that BA will do the same

If BA does assist, then it has no obligation to provide hotel accommodation et al
AA's policy assures that the passenger will be protected on separate tickets when connecting between AA and a oneworld carrier in either direction. If BA will not assist the passenger, then it is AA's responsibility to get BA to do so, or to protect the passenger if BA fails to do so.

AA cannot very well publish a policy which says that the late-delivering carrier must protect the passenger and then stand idly by if said carrier refuses to do so.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA's policy assures that the passenger will be protected on separate tickets when connecting between AA and a oneworld carrier in either direction. If BA will not assist the passenger, then it is AA's responsibility to get BA to do so, or to protect the passenger if BA fails to do so.

AA cannot very well publish a policy which says that the late-delivering carrier must protect the passenger and then stand idly by if said carrier refuses to do so.
AA cannot issue policies for other airlines

BA has no responsibility once the passenger is delivered in Chicago so if it chooses not to assist, then it is solely AA that the passenger can hope for assistance for

AA does have a policy for AA and so it should assist with rebooking. Even with this I don't see that the airline is responsible for hotel accommodations

I would be surprised if BA failed to assist in rebooking where a delay is known about in advance of departure

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 31, 2015 at 12:15 am
Old May 31, 2015, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

AA cannot issue policies for other airlines

BA has no responsibility once the passenger is delivered in Chicago so if it chooses not to assist, then it is solely AA that the passenger can hope for assistance for

AA does have a policy for AA and so it should assist with rebooking. Even with this I don't see that the airline is responsible for hotel accommodations

I would be surprised if BA failed to assist in rebooking where a delay is known about in advance of departure
No, AA cannot issue policies for other carriers, but it's tough to believe that AA would publish a policy putting the responsibility for re-accommodation on the late-delivering carrier unless AA had some way of enforcing that. In any event, if BA is unhelpful when approached by the passenger, I would immediately approach AA with a copy of their re-accommodation policy, and mention BA's refusal to help.

As to overnight accommodations, I would not count on that being provided, but you never know.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, of course, if Redeemed's LHR-ORD flight on BA is substantially delayed, compensation may be due under EU Reg. 261 (depending on the reason for the delay).
Old May 31, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
So is there anything a pax can do to proactively smooth a potential issue other than carry a copy of the AA policy? For instance first flight is AA on 001 stock with a second separately ticketed flight on QF on its stock 2.5 hours later.Is it possible/adviseable to have a note or code added to AA reservation telling them about the second flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.