Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:28 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
What is MX metal?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
What is MX metal?
oops, I mean MQ (American Eagle)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Question AA -> AA

Curious if anyone has experience with connection protection when both flights are on AA, but on separate tickets. I booked COS->DFW with my wife and son, and DFW->MEX with my son and I as separate tickets so that my wife would be on the same PNR and we would be guaranteed to sit together. (Also so I could select MCE seats for all of us without difficulties) The connection is 50 minutes, which is legal. I've printed out copies of a through-ticketed reservation search on those flights (to prove that it's legal) and the oneworld misconnect policy. However, I called the plat service line to try and get the reservations linked to protect my connection, and they were completely unaware of the policy, (They because I tried HUCA) and informed me in no uncertain terms that my connection would not be protected if the first flight is delayed. If I do misconnect, am I best off going and talking to an AAngel, printouts in hand? or what?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by acrollet
Curious if anyone has experience with connection protection when both flights are on AA, but on separate tickets. I booked COS->DFW with my wife and son, and DFW->MEX with my son and I as separate tickets so that my wife would be on the same PNR and we would be guaranteed to sit together. (Also so I could select MCE seats for all of us without difficulties) The connection is 50 minutes, which is legal. I've printed out copies of a through-ticketed reservation search on those flights (to prove that it's legal) and the oneworld misconnect policy. However, I called the plat service line to try and get the reservations linked to protect my connection, and they were completely unaware of the policy, (They because I tried HUCA) and informed me in no uncertain terms that my connection would not be protected if the first flight is delayed. If I do misconnect, am I best off going and talking to an AAngel, printouts in hand? or what?

Yes, you are protected.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp

It says "AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier". Many AAgents are not aware of the policy, even AAngels. So it's helpful to carry a printout of this page if something goes wrong. However, even if you get your reservations "linked", don't count on being auto rebooked. So be ready to phone AA or go to an AAgent/AAngel to get rebooked if something goes wrong.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:13 pm

Xero: thanks, that helps set my mind at ease. Any war stories of aa -> aa separate ticket misconnects would still be appreciated
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:33 pm

Xero: thanks, that helps set my mind at ease. Any war stories of aa -> aa separate ticket misconnects would still be appreciated
Have had two cases where this came into play. Both were AA flights ticketed by BA as I was using points.

First story:
RDU-LGA cancelled LGA-YYZ flight operating
Called AA reservations and told them of cancellation and that I had an onward connection. Read the passage from the website and was rebooked RDU-ORD and ORD-YYZ.

Second story:
BDA-JFK delayed JFK-YYZ operating
Was rebooked onto a B6 flight which got me to NYC in time for the originally booked flight to YYZ so didn't have to pull out the policy. When I was going over my options with the agents, however, they noted themselves that even though it was a separate booking, if they couldn't get me to JFK on time I would be protected and/or rerouted to get to YYZ.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
What is MX metal?
Any 762 on which I'm scheduled?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
My experience (Oct 11 so a little dated) was DFW-MAD on AA and MAD-ORY on IB ticketed through AAvacations and IB respectively. AA flight had major mechanical delay. IB reps were wonderful and fixed everything just great.

BTW we got business rt DFW to MAD, 5 nights in a top notch Madrid hotel, and the IB rt coach tickets for less than coach rt DFW-Paris! The IB fares booked on IB site were dirt cheap compared to anything showing up on AA, BA, or usual third party booking sites between Madrid and Paris. I wonder if I'll ever see a deal like that again.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
LAX-SFO and SFO-JFK.

I was originally ticketed SFO-JFK. Then I realized I need to be at LAX so I booked LAX-SFO as a separate ticket.

LAX-SFO was delayed. The airplane was coming in from ORD which had bad weather so it created a ripple effect. I was going to miss my connection so I was rebooked on the LAX-JFK nonstop. I had to read the policy though.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:19 pm

this is good stuff, I'm feeling better. thanks all!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:52 pm

Lightbulb

It occurs to me that a cynic might say that AA posts the policy to capture bookings from those who care, but avoids educating AAgents about it to save as much money as possible... Really kind of shocking how universal the lack of knowledge of the policy seems to be.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It occurs to me that a cynic might say that AA posts the policy to capture bookings from those who care, but avoids educating AAgents about it to save as much money as possible... Really kind of shocking how universal the lack of knowledge of the policy seems to be.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

-- R.J. Hanlon
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Do you know every policy of your employer? I always feel like the best agents have been there a while, so they have run into more situations and had more experience resolving and fixing situations that arise.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by makfan
Do you know every policy of your employer?
well i work for a small company that has a 1-page document that contains all of what could be considered policies, so yes! fair point, though... And I suppose people shouldn't be in the situation of having connecting but separately ticketed flights that often.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: SPG Plat
does anyone know whether this is still in effect? I am connecting from AA to CX on separate tickets, with only 1 hour and 45 minutes connecting time and would like to check if AA will protect me incase of delays and I miss my CX flight

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.