Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by pssteve
So is there anything a pax can do to proactively smooth a potential issue other than carry a copy of the AA policy? For instance first flight is AA on 001 stock with a second separately ticketed flight on QF on its stock 2.5 hours later.Is it possible/adviseable to have a note or code added to AA reservation telling them about the second flight?
I would say the only time to be proactive is at your initial departure airport, if it appears that your AA flight will be so delayed as to make your catching the QF flight difficult or impossible. In such a case, I would approach AA at your initial airport, and ask about re-routing then and there. Recognize, though, that alternate routings to your QF destination might be limited.

Of course, if your AA flight departs on or close to schedule, it is hard to conceive of a situation -- other than a diversion -- that would cause you to miss your QF flight in this particular situation.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA bears no responsibility once it has delivered you to Chicago since you are not connecting but on 2 unrelated journeys ...
So Dave, from this I presume you are fully aware of the entire content and relevant ramifications of the oneworld "Endorsement Waiver Agreement" mentioned on AA.com of which BA and AA along with the other one world member airlines would be signatories to.

Because that is the only way you could state so unequivocally what I have quoted of you.

Me, I believe it highly probable that there is content in the aforementioned "Endorsement Waiver Agreement" that AA could indeed use to make BA, or indeed, any other oneworld member airline, responsible should their flight be late inbound in the circumstances being discussed, even on separate tickets.

This is mainly due to my reasoning that AA would be very unlikely to have published content such as this if it were not the case.

And, no, I have not been a party to the content of this agreement.

I post this for the information of others as we have had posting discussions on this very topic before and we have never been able to reach consensus in relation to this.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 1, 2015 at 5:06 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by serfty
So Dave, from this I presume you are fully aware of the entire content and relevant ramifications of the oneworld "Endorsement Waiver Agreement" mentioned on AA.com of which BA and AA along with the other one world member airlines would be signatories to.

Because that is the only way you could state so unequivocally what I have quoted of you.
The standard rule is that there is no responsibility - if such a BA published policy exists, provide a link to it - actually on second thoughts, dont bother since I won't see it
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The standard rule is that there is no responsibility - if such a BA published policy exists, provide a link to it - actually on second thoughts, dont bother since I won't see it
True, standard rules indeed provide no such protections. But that is not what this thread is about.

Indeed, standard rules may be well and truly overridden by the "Endorsement Waiver Agreement".

Last edited by serfty; Jun 1, 2015 at 5:57 am
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA PLT
I noticed this morning that the link referenced in the wiki, along with all other agency information, has been moved to a system called SalesLink, and is no longer available to the public. Is this information published on any other international AA sites that might still serve as a reference? I'm worried AA will quietly change this policy without us being any the wiser.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:18 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I noticed this morning that the link referenced in the wiki, along with all other agency information, has been moved to a system called SalesLink, and is no longer available to the public. Is this information published on any other international AA sites that might still serve as a reference? I'm worried AA will quietly change this policy without us being any the wiser.
I posted this on the other thread. It should be the same PDF copy for Rule 240/80 on schedule change or IROPS.

However, since it's hosted on AA (UK), I'd imagine it will not live too long.

http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/co...ule-Change.pdf
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by jix
I posted this on the other thread. It should be the same PDF copy for Rule 240/80 on schedule change or IROPS.

However, since it's hosted on AA (UK), I'd imagine it will not live too long.

http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/co...ule-Change.pdf
Thanks for finding that. I imagine it'll stick around for the time being, since only the US/Canada information is moving to a secured site.

However, that PDF doesn't make any specific mention of how to handle separate tickets, just the general rebooking policy for changes/IRROPS.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
I was told point blank last week in the ORD Admirals club that there was 0 obligation to cover me, as I was on one paid and one award ticket. They re routed me "as a courtesy" but seemed to have to get special permission to count it as an involuntary reroute. They said this is due to higher scrutiny on codes and validating reasons for irops.

For reference, I was on a paid ord-dfw, connecting to a dfw-bkk award. The ord-dfw delayed 2.5hrs after boarding and would have caused a misconnect. Was re-routed ord-nrt on JAL and made my original nrt-bkk flight.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
> Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets: Link

Link is now broken.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:09 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
This stinks if they have really removed the benefit.

Wish I took a screen show of the page on AA.com. Anybody have one?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by A4K
This stinks if they have really removed the benefit.

Wish I took a screen show of the page on AA.com. Anybody have one?
There's no evidence (yet) that the policy has changed. And if the policy has changed, what good would an (outdated) screen shot do you?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
There's no evidence (yet) that the policy has changed.
It has definitely not changed.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 20, 2015 at 6:14 pm
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Quick question about onward connections. I had an AA booked ticket using AA BWI-JFK then BA JFK-LHR, and return in a similar fashion. The outward had to be rebooked by AA due to the BWI-JFK being indefinitely delayed, while the AA JFK-BWI flight was cancelled, supposedly due to weather (which seems to be a catch-all for 'I don't want to fly there today'). Although AA had rebooked me on tomorrows flight, they said they had no responsibility for any hotel/food. However, since the booking was to/from Europe, would any of the EU regulations apply? (I got the train back home instead at my own expense).
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CKBA
Quick question about onward connections. I had an AA booked ticket using AA BWI-JFK then BA JFK-LHR, and return in a similar fashion. The outward had to be rebooked by AA due to the BWI-JFK being indefinitely delayed, while the AA JFK-BWI flight was cancelled, supposedly due to weather (which seems to be a catch-all for 'I don't want to fly there today'). Although AA had rebooked me on tomorrows flight, they said they had no responsibility for any hotel/food. However, since the booking was to/from Europe, would any of the EU regulations apply? (I got the train back home instead at my own expense).
An AA flight from BWI-JFK is not covered by EU regulations, so AA has no responsibility for hotels etc under EC261.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It has definitely not changed.
Although the webpage has presumably been moved and is now gated, is there a URL we could point an AA employee to so they can read the policy themselves instead of trusting a printed copy of a webpage that the passenger may have?

Or something we can tell the employee like "Can you go to internal system x and search for the terms y and z to point them to the policy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.