Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I have been connecting through LHR AA arrival in Terminal 3 to BA departure in Terminal 5 with 90 minute connections and have not had problems yet. I arrive at 8 and flight out is at 9:30. I usually still have time to go into the BA lounge for a quick cup of coffee. You are entitiled to use the FAST TRACK because of your class of service. Being up front also means that you are off the plane first. Be prepared in case anything goes wrong and know what alternatives are available to you.

A late arrival could cause trouble,but a late arrival could also cause trouble with a 3 hour layover.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I thought separate tickets were protected as long as both carriers are one world

AA to BA should be covered.

Id book that connection all day long. You will have fast track at LHR; buses arent an issue. You should be fine
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's AA, not OW, which offers the special protection across tickets. BA doesn't even necessarily protect across its own tickets (although it will usually do so ex gratia).

In the other direction if BA delivered late on separate tickets, AA would rebook for what it refers to as "disruption".
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It's AA, not OW, which offers the special protection across tickets. BA doesn't even necessarily protect across its own tickets (although it will usually do so ex gratia).

In the other direction if BA delivered late on separate tickets, AA would rebook for what it refers to as "disruption".
AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier

If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 FREE (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-tickets.html#
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If you don't make the connection BA and AA will try to put you on the next available flight.
[/url]
The problem I have had in this situation is that BOTH BA and AA rebooked me, but onto different flights! It was an AA ticket and AA rebooked me onto the same flight 24 hours later (but never told me) whereas AA rebooked me on a soon-departing BA to FRA and then onwards on Lufthansa the same day.

When I didn't turn up for the AA rebooking the next day (as I had already reached my destination) they cancelled my whole return trip!!

So if something goes wrong, keep a close eye on things.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I've certainly done the T3<->T5 in less than an hour. It helps to be one of the first few off, then walk at a quick pace to the bus. Often I get on the bus and the doors shut before anyone else gets on. The fast track can help some at security, but to me what matters more is whether your carry-on gets routed down the re-inspection lane, in which case it can add a 15-20 min delay (most of that by the station not being staffed, followed by the wait as they handle other people whose bags got queued ahead of yours). I've learned to hand the liquids over to the staff--some care and notify the person manning the machine, while others don't care.

As for rebooking, perhaps I've been lucky but for both AA->BA and BA->AA when the 1st flight had been delayed I've seen alternate flights get added to my booking prior to arrival of the delayed flight (either I saw prior to take-off, or during the flight using wifi via airline's app). If the flight is delayed and connection is unlikely then you can detour to the rebooking desk. If the BA staff doesn't notice it's an award ticket then you can end up earning miles on the alternate flight.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I've done the reverse in <45 minutes. As previous poster mentions, first off the plane, brisk pace, catch first bus transfer and stand close to exit, fast track, hand carry does not get pull for secondary security.

I had a return flight to the USA, my first flight was delayed making my 2.5hr layover to just 50 minutes. We landed @ LHR, but still had to wait almost 20 minutes for a gate assignment. We where last to board the plane. Something that has not been mentioned is that OW will have connection service indivuals upon arrivals to assist those with tight connections, or offer re booking. This helps on that you do not need to go to another area and re-confirm your details.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
That provision no longer appears on AA's consumer-facing website and it isn't in the COC. It's unclear and nobody can answer as to whether that provision remains in the TA back pages through simple negligence or whether AA intends for some reason that TA's and not consumers know of it.

It took a conscious decision on AA's part to remove the provision from the consumer-facing website and as AA was the only carrier which offered this, it's not surprising.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

That provision no longer appears on AA's consumer-facing website and it isn't in the COC. It's unclear and nobody can answer as to whether that provision remains in the TA back pages through simple negligence or whether AA intends for some reason that TA's and not consumers know of it.

It took a conscious decision on AA's part to remove the provision from the consumer-facing website and as AA was the only carrier which offered this, it's not surprising.
AA's IRROPS-on-separate-tickets policy did not appear on a "consumer-facing" webpage; it was -- and is still -- on AA's travel-agency pages. The only change AA made is to prevent public access to the travel-agency pages. There is no evidence that the policy itself has changed.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:49 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I thought separate tickets were protected as long as both carriers are one world
The key wording is "AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier." AA needs to be involved as one of the flights in the misconnection as such, this is an AA and not a OW-wide policy.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Wrong, incorrect and, no, not quite

"nobody can answer as to whether that provision remains in the TA back pages"?

I sure can:

https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...ng%20Index.pdf

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 29, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:59 pm

Well, it appears that there was disagreement over in the other thread, by the same parties that are now in disagreement over here...

Edit: and this new thread is merged into the old thread...

OP is asking AA to BA. (Bigmamma in post #178)
Policy says AA to BA

Is the message to the OP "Sure AA will help you, but if you get to the BA terminal and have an issue you will need to walk back to the AA terminal to get it fixed"????

IMO this is a non-issue for this one particular scenario. (Bigmamma question)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

AA hasn't removed the benefit which it has agreed to under Oneworld policy. AA and the Oneworld passenger check-in and baggage reaccomodation benefit for passengers traveling across separate Oneworld tickets for Oneworld flights remains.

And AA was never the only Oneworld carrier to have this policy. It still exists beyond AA too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 4, 2015 at 2:59 pm
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:28 am

I have a flight from Ibiza to BCN soon, purchased on Vueling . I then have a separate award ticket in First from BCN to LAX on BA and AA metal (booked via AA). If my IBZ leg is delayed substantially and causes me to miss the BCN award ticket, what if any help would I get? I would have thought Vueling is part of OneWorld due to being owned by the same corp as BA/IB but seems not to be the case...

and tips/suggestions? wondering if travel insurance might be worth it in this case... but not sure if they would cover this anyway.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
AA hasn't removed the benefit which it has agreed to under Oneworld policy. AA and the Oneworld passenger check-in and baggage reaccomodation benefit for passengers travelling across separate Oneworld tickets for Oneworld flights remains.

And AA was never the only Oneworld carrier to have this policy. It still exists beyond AA too.
Can you please prove those statements?
Credible & verifiable evidence. Web site links? Ticket conditions? Anything?
In particular the so called OneWorld policy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.