Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:40 pm

Does anyone have experience with this post the Oneworld changes? Does AA still cover misconnects on separate Oneworld tickets? How about two separate AA tickets?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Wikipost contains AA language regarding AA reaccommodation policies for IROPS, etc. updated by AA 18 May 2016 and a link to the policy in PDF form. It doesn't appear the policy has changed or has been superseded by new policy.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:31 am

AA - Aer Lingus (redeemed with BA Avios) protected?

Hello! I have a up coming trip to Europe.

For my domestic flight to ORD, it's on AA (ticketed and operated by AA). I have a 10 hour layover in ORD before traveling on Aer Lingus to Dublin, Ireland. The Aer Lingus ticket is redeemed with British Airways Avios.

Same situation on the return flights with just a shorter connection in ORD (3 hours).

BA is part of OneWorld, but Aer Lingus is not (yet) part of OW.

Does anyone know If I'll be protected through AA's policy or have any experience in the past that can share?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I clearly hope to not to need this. But if there is an IIROP and I have checked luggage, but AA doesn't interline bags, what happens if by the time the first flight lands and bags are retrieved if it's under the 1 hour cutoff for the next OW flight? And do they protect the same cabin as if it was AA to AA?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
I clearly hope to not to need this. But if there is an IIROP and I have checked luggage, but AA doesn't interline bags, what happens if by the time the first flight lands and bags are retrieved if it's under the 1 hour cutoff for the next OW flight? And do they protect the same cabin as if it was AA to AA?
On the first, I rather suspect YMMV. LHR in particular will be bad as they are militant IMO about conformance times at check-in and security.

On the other, I would not count on protection absent both status and a helpful AAgent.

They are *really* trying to push people to paying more to be on a single ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsy9999
Hello! I have a up coming trip to Europe.

For my domestic flight to ORD, it's on AA (ticketed and operated by AA). I have a 10 hour layover in ORD before traveling on Aer Lingus to Dublin, Ireland. The Aer Lingus ticket is redeemed with British Airways Avios.

Same situation on the return flights with just a shorter connection in ORD (3 hours).

BA is part of OneWorld, but Aer Lingus is not (yet) part of OW.

Does anyone know If I'll be protected through AA's policy or have any experience in the past that can share?

Thanks in advance!
With a 10 hour layover on the outbound, you'd need a heck of a delay to need protection! On the return, yeah, 3 hours can be dicey in ORD if you don't have Global Entry and you see a delay of more than an hour...since you'll be coming into T5, have to clear CBP, and schelp your bags over to T3 on the train to check in again.

That said, given two tickets, one of which is non-OW (as of now), I'd not count on protection unless you are proactive and are able to get protection by calling an AAgent in the event of a delay on your EI leg.

FWIW, I don't think it matters whether your EI leg is on avios or cash.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by scnzzz
On the first, I rather suspect YMMV. LHR in particular will be bad as they are militant IMO about conformance times at check-in and security.

On the other, I would not count on protection absent both status and a helpful AAgent.

They are *really* trying to push people to paying more to be on a single ticket.
I agree with what you're saying about being dependent on conformance and helpful agents, to the point that I've decided to go to LAX the night before. Even an added hotel expense is worth a fraction of the difference in my fare (Amex companion fare, a delta of $7100 R/T LAX and $13000 R/T PHX).
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:20 am

I am currently booked MAD-ORD on IB. I would like to purchase a separate AA ticket from ORD to PHX, which would give me a 3 hour ORD connection (within MCT).

If my inbound on IB is late, does the AA policy (assuming not changed before my trip) protect me and get me on a later ORD-PHX flight? My concern is this language in the policy: "In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination." This seems to suggest that it's IB's responsibility to get me to PHX, and (1) I assume IB does not have the same policy, and (2) even if it did, I have no luck ever getting IB to do anything ever.

Let's say the IB flight is 5 hours late, or even gets me there the next day. Can I just show up at customer service in ORD and ask to be flown to PHX?

No checked luggage.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
I am currently booked MAD-ORD on IB. I would like to purchase a separate AA ticket from ORD to PHX, which would give me a 3 hour ORD connection (within MCT).

If my inbound on IB is late, does the AA policy (assuming not changed before my trip) protect me and get me on a later ORD-PHX flight? My concern is this language in the policy: "In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination." This seems to suggest that it's IB's responsibility to get me to PHX, and (1) I assume IB does not have the same policy, and (2) even if it did, I have no luck ever getting IB to do anything ever.

Let's say the IB flight is 5 hours late, or even gets me there the next day. Can I just show up at customer service in ORD and ask to be flown to PHX?

No checked luggage.
Go to IB first at ORD, and ask for reaccommodation. If IB refuses, go to AA and tell them that IB refused to reaccomodate you. AA will ensure that you are reaccomodated. But be sure to carry with you a print out of the reaccomodation policy if you can still find it.

Also, note that if the IB flight is substantially delayed for reasons within IB's control, you should be entitled to substantial cash compensation under EC261/2004. You might have to fight to get it, though.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:50 pm

Got it -- thanks for the advice!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
I'm in the process of ticketing an ex-EU TATL with a TA. This involves connecting to a domestic side trip, with all segments in a single PNR (albeit priced as two separate returns). Ticket stock is 001, all segments are on AA (except the last leg to "AAA", which is an AA codeshare on AY).

Itinerary would be:

AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD//DDD-CCC-EEE-CCC-DDD//DDD-CCC-FFF-AAA*

AAA - TATL leg
* - AA Codeshare on AY

Can anyone confirm that the above would be protected incase of a misconnect? I'm particularly thinking of the "DDD" connections, as these are tight turnarounds (90mins, with baggage) and there are limited alternative routing's on the same day.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If this is all part of one ticketed itinerary, then there is no issue at all

If you have sectors such that you are going to do AAA-BBB-AAA with no stopover in BBB, you will have the issue that you will need to collect bags and check back in
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If this is all part of one ticketed itinerary, then there is no issue at all

If you have sectors such that you are going to do AAA-BBB-AAA with no stopover in BBB, you will have the issue that you will need to collect bags and check back in
Thanks for the quick reply Dave Noble! I'm expecting there will be a need to collect the bag and check-in again on each DDD turn; simply because we're routing through CCC twice on the same day (and therefore the bag tag couldn't have the same code twice).

I've allowed 90mins on the outbound routing to handle this, in the knowledge that there is another flight 1hr later should there be any delays. Likewise on the return we have 130mins in hand... however there isn't a later flight there that would connect to our TATL (without a re-route).

Given in this case that DDD is actually San Antonio (SAT) I've judged (based on the terminal map) that this should be plenty of time... unless of IRROPS, but then we should be protected anyhow. However I'm willing to be contradicted by anyone with local knowledge!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
Assuming this is the correct thread for this question.
Travelling through JFK on two separate tickets with a 90 minute connection time. with checked baggage. I f I don't make the connection is it protected would AA get me on the next AA flight JFK to LHR without a fee?
current itinerary arrive at JFK from MIA at 18:30 second ticket departs JFK to LHR at 20:00
All on AA.
MCT at JFK is 75mins D/I and I have 90 in theory.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
And how about the issue of a AA Codeshare? The above example was all on one ticket but what if...

AS metal (AA codeshare) AA stock, SEA-SFO (first ticket)
AA metal SFO-JFK (second ticket)

Would OW protections still be in place for the AS flight? I don't see why not, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.