Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain
Although the webpage has presumably been moved and is now gated, is there a URL we could point an AA employee to so they can read the policy themselves instead of trusting a printed copy of a webpage that the passenger may have?

Or something we can tell the employee like "Can you go to internal system x and search for the terms y and z to point them to the policy?
"Schedule irregularity"

AA continues to treat passengers who are traveling on separate tickets and misconnect to/from a oneworld carrier as being on a single ticket, provided that the separate ticket is issued on the ticket stock of a oneworld carrier.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
I booked JL F award PVG-NRT-LAX with a tight NRT connection. If my PVG-NRT leg is delayed while I'm at PVG, I plan to call AA and ask them to rebook me in AA F PVG-LAX.

Assuming, AA F seats are available, but there is no award space:

- Will AA policy permit them to rebook me in AA F?
- Has AA generally accommodated people in these cases by rebooking them in AA F or J?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:25 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eethan
I booked JL F award PVG-NRT-LAX with a tight NRT connection. If my PVG-NRT leg is delayed while I'm at PVG, I plan to call AA and ask them to rebook me in AA F PVG-LAX.

Assuming, AA F seats are available, but there is no award space:

- Will AA policy permit them to rebook me in AA F?
- Has AA generally accommodated people in these cases by rebooking them in AA F or J?
If this is one award, then it is outside the scope of this thread and off-topic.

JL is responsible for handling this if a misconnect is foreseen which may include JL rebooking you on AA F.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:44 am
wdc

what if the tickets were booked through BA but operated by AA, would the same rules still apply?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Since it is AA that has the policy that used to be visible...
Originally Posted by Often1
AA alone had such a policy, but has recently changed its website and no longer publishes such a policy. The policy remains on its back pages for TA's, although it is unclear whether that is simply poor site maintenance...
While relocated, the policy of AA is still published.

JonNYC posted elsewhere the following link: American Airlines Travel Agency Reference

... which leads to the document with information relating to this thread: SalesLink - Booking and Ticketing Home

Last edited by serfty; Jul 23, 2015 at 8:18 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by wdc
what if the tickets were booked through BA but operated by AA, would the same rules still apply?
Yes.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/44.0.2403.65 Mobile/12H143 Safari/600.1.4)

Originally Posted by Often1
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/43.0.2357.61 Mobile/12H143 Safari/600.1.4)

Ugh had a ba agent try and deny a ticket this week because they didn't believe the policy would allow this. He was convinced American was in error and wasted an hour of my time trying to prove me wrong. Annoying.
The BA agent was correct. BA does not have a policy of protecting across tickets, including its own (although it generally will).

AA alone had such a policy, but has recently changed its website and no longer publishes such a policy. The policy remains on its back pages for TA's, although it is unclear whether that is simply poor site maintenance.

Also worth noting that AA's policy only covered "irregularities" not such broader problems as advance schedule changes and the like.

None of this is to suggest that you can't enlist an agent to be helpful even if that "help" is not required by policy. It does, however, suggest a very light touch, lest an agent make entries in the PNR notes which tie the hands of a later agent who might be better disposed.
No the BA agent was not correct. The reticketing was completed perfectly fine as intended. He just didn't like it and was searching for a reason to downgrade.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/44.0.2403.65 Mobile/12H143 Safari/600.1.4)

No the BA agent was not correct. The reticketing was completed perfectly fine as intended. He just didn't like it and was searching for a reason to downgrade.
If you are saying BA has it's own separate ticket policy, then a new thread should be started in the BA forum.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by serfty
While relocated, the policy of AA is still published.

JonNYC posted elsewhere the following link: American Airlines Travel Agency Reference

... which leads to the document with information relating to this thread: SalesLink - Booking and Ticketing Home
@:-) ^
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How disappointing this was removed from the website...this seems just as sketchy as the recent SDC rule change on the website that was made (and AA claims always was the case, although is refusing to admit officially that it made changes to its website).

I am worried as I have a short connection in CLT...DFW-CLT-DUB/separate ticket/Iberia-ticketed operated by Iberia Express DUB-MAD. If I miss CLT-DUB, I want US to put me on CLT-MAD if there is space, but I have a feeling US agents have no clue that this rule even exists! Anyone have anecdotal evidence to the contrary?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
How disappointing this was removed from the website...this seems just as sketchy as ...
This was never on AA.com.

Was on the old version of AAgency, now on the new version.

Hardly "sketchy".
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I am worried as I have a short connection in CLT...DFW-CLT-DUB/separate ticket/Iberia-ticketed operated by Iberia Express DUB-MAD. If I miss CLT-DUB, I want US to put me on CLT-MAD if there is space, but I have a feeling US agents have no clue that this rule even exists! Anyone have anecdotal evidence to the contrary?
I have the same question with a US ticketed & operated flight connecting to a BA ticketed & operated flight. I'm debating between a 3 & 5 hour connection in DUB (arriving from US).
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, UAL, Starwoods
What happens if miss connecting flight?

I am holding AA award tickets to for March, 2016 to Tel Aviv. I have first class on AA to Heathrow and business on BA to Tel Aviv. I called AA as I am concerned about the really short connection time as AA arrives Terminal 3 at 6:35 a.m. and BA departs Terminal 5 at 8:15 a.m. While it is barely a legal connection it still doesn't allow for getting from Terminal 3 to 5, etc. The agent told me that if the AA plane is late causing us to miss the BA flight, then AA would put us on another flight in whatever available seats there are which could mean economy on BA. She said that if we miss the flight due to security or bus times or walking distances at Heathrow then they would not have to rebook us. She also told me that passengers have made that connection in an hour! My question is if the plane lands on time but we miss the flight due to huge lines at the bus or security, can we insist that they put us on another flight? What happens in that case?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Is this on one ticket or separate tickets?

If on one ticket all you do is follow lines and take a bus. MCT is 90 minutes and is tight but doable if your flight arriving LHR is on time. If you don't make the connection BA and AA will try to put you on the next available flight.

If on separate tickets BA has no duty to put you on another flight to TLV.

See the thread for this subject:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...thread-27.html

See also this person's experience arriving at 630am yesterday and connecting to T5:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25187396-post6.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jul 28, 2015 at 5:02 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is the responsibility of the late-delivering carrier to rebook you. That would be AA if it is late. If it is not late, it has no obligation to you. BA also has no obligation to you.

Nonetheless, BA will likely accommodate you as it can. However, there is no guarantee that there is space and you may stuck until space can be located ex gratia.

If you are concerned about not being able to move apace, please don't book such a right connection. MCT is the "minimum" time and not necessarily the sensible connect time. The latter is a personal decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.