Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jix
I was under the impression that based on http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_C...r-journey.html, AA is the most significant carrier so CX should treat my baggage allowance as piece standard and not by weight? Or does it only apply to journeys on a single PNR ?
If one PNR contains TPE-HKG-DFW, you get the allowance of HKG-DFW applied to TPE-HKG as well.

Since TPE-HKG is separate, CX is only obligated to provide the regular allowance for TPE-HKG.

When you check-in DFW-HKG-TPE, AA may check your bag thru to TPE and CX may accept the bag without issue. However CX is also within their right to page you at the gate at HKG to collect any applicable baggage fees.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Having read through this thread, can anyone clarify with me if I am protected?

Arriving 1330pm into JFK from LHR: departing 1730 JFK - EGE. I assume this would be protected? These are booked under separate PNRs as I have family members with me on the later flight.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Is LHR-JFK on a oneworld carrier?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Sorry, should have clarified - both tickets are AA and AA metal.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:39 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Should be protected as it meets MCT and AA is one segment and AA/OW is the other segment.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by phil_flyer
Having read through this thread, can anyone clarify with me if I am protected?

Arriving 1330pm into JFK from LHR: departing 1730 JFK - EGE. I assume this would be protected? These are booked under separate PNRs as I have family members with me on the later flight.
As it's all AA, as indicated in the wiki, you're protected.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:02 pm

my friend got the last EY mistake fare, his connecting flight to LGA on AA was canceled due to today's Delta skid fiasco. His original JFK-AUH flight was an AA code share. Should he be covered by this? I know EY isn't OW, but I'd think the codeshare makes it AA's responsibility too
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:37 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iruvmattree
my friend got the last EY mistake fare, his connecting flight to LGA on AA was canceled due to today's Delta skid fiasco. His original JFK-AUH flight was an AA code share. Should he be covered by this? I know EY isn't OW, but I'd think the codeshare makes it AA's responsibility too
Was he ticketed on EY flight number or AA flight number? Sounds EY flight# since it is "EY mistake fare." If so, even more likely the flight is ticketed by EY not 001. This policy requires "the ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier"
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Protected in this situation too (connecting to US Airways Companion Cert ticket)

Please forgive me if this is a silly question:

1. Currently hold PAID US Airways Companion Certificate fare for xxx - yyy - xxx. I am the primary ticket holder and colleague is my companion. Flight is pmUS metal issued on US ticket stock.

2. Am considering a quick trip to visit family and using BA Avios to do zzz - xxx (originating airport in 1 above). Flight is pmAA (Envoy) metal issued on BA ticket stock.

There is a 4 hour layover at xxx between flight in 2 and then the next flight in 1. Both are domestic flights.

My questions
a) Given that #2 would be on pmAA and #1 is on pmUS, I would still be protected on #1, correct?
b) Were I to miss my connection to #1 at xxx, would it ruin my colleague's (companion) ticket or would he be fine?

Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:52 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
I have an upcoming trip as noted below. The connection time at DCA is domestic at 70min and exceeds legal connection time (30min).

AA: PEK-ORD-DCA
AA*(US): DCA-BUF

Question, my trip is in about 6 weeks from now, I know it will be protected per AA's separate ticket policy but I'm not sure if the policy includes schedule change prior to departure? I'm falling under the impression that only IROPS are protected. If a schedule change happens in any of the segments prior to departure, what are my options?

For example say the ORD-DCA is delayed/cancelled, can I ask AA to put me directly to ORD-BUF? Does the Schedule Change - Rule 240/80 or Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) apply as if it's a single ticket?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"For example say the ORD-DCA is delayed/cancelled, can I ask AA to put me directly to ORD-BUF?"

Yes.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Anyone have any thoughts on how this policy may be applied to flights on 037 ticket stock? I.e., flying CLT-LHR on US, then LHR-CDF on BA, with two PNRs?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dml105
Anyone have any thoughts on how this policy may be applied to flights on 037 ticket stock? I.e., flying CLT-LHR on US, then LHR-CDF on BA, with two PNRs?
AFAIK, this policy applies to AA alone at this point. For 037 it's US' and BA's current policies that count.

We'll hope they'll extend it to US ASAP.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dml105
The wording of the policy suggest that AA needs to be at least one flight of the connection to be covered.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Agreed. It is AA-OA or OA-AA. Until US is under the SOC, it's not AA. A kindly agent might help out, but that is not something to plan on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.