Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by galaticos
Are you on a single ticket? If you are, AA would reroute if your flight into BOS is delayed..
Sadly no... I paid for the original and had to piggyback the Icelandair flight & someone else is paying. Booked at two totally different times. Plan for now will be to call AA 12 hrs prior to the earlier flight and try to get confirmed. Recent weather delays making me quite nervous. (I would never ever normally do two separate tickets/airlines if I had a choice!)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You might call AA and have them append information you are arriving etc. etc. into the PNR - it might make it easier to get assistance for your onward travel if you have delays with your connection. But I understand your nervousness - there are no guarantees with this type of situation, though in my experience AA will try to do the right thing (and I like making it easier for them to do so by putting a note in the record, and calling if at all practicable if I see the delay coming).

Originally Posted by bostonoski
Sadly no... I paid for the original and had to piggyback the Icelandair flight & someone else is paying. Booked at two totally different times. Plan for now will be to call AA 12 hrs prior to the earlier flight and try to get confirmed. Recent weather delays making me quite nervous. (I would never ever normally do two separate tickets/airlines if I had a choice!)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
You might call AA and have them append information you are arriving etc. etc. into the PNR - it might make it easier to get assistance for your onward travel if you have delays with your connection. But I understand your nervousness - there are no guarantees with this type of situation, though in my experience AA will try to do the right thing (and I like making it easier for them to do so by putting a note in the record, and calling if at all practicable if I see the delay coming).
Thanks JDiver - I will do that. Good suggestion!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:19 pm

Adding to the above information, after asking the agent at SFO check-in to note my record (which she did, I believe), she also said that AA has a baggage agreement with Icelandair (she may have meant other/all airlines, I couldn't tell), and that I could show my itinerary at check-in leaving MSY and have my bag checked through to LHR.

(I only worry a bit that being at MSY, it's a litle ummmm... provincial, and I just hope the agents are savvy enough to get it and do this without hassle.)

I thought this was a good thing to know and as it's relevant to anyone looking for similar answers, I'm posting as an FYI. I'll report back on my results.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Advice needed.
I am flying from JFK to Lhr on ba(2-4-1 booking) and need to get from Montreal to JFK, however the flight time i can get costs more than double other aa flights to LGA or earlier to jfk So, do aa cover a connection between carries ba and aa even If I travel between airports? if I leave enough time (6hours)

Thanks J

Last edited by Jenzo; Jan 24, 2013 at 6:10 am Reason: Worlds out of place
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Jenzo
So, do aa cover a connection between carries ba and aa even If I travel between airports? if I leave enough time (6hours)

Thanks J
They don't cover ground transportation between airports. A prime example is AA/BA itineraries that require a transfer between LHR and LGW. That is the responsibility of the passenger. Also, they may be less inclined to protect misconnects that occur as a result of a ground leg, but I have no specific knowledge about that (just a feeling).

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: AA PLT
So a few months ago I had separate tickets on BA and AA. BA from Baku to London, then AA from London to DFW. BA changed their flight by 12 hours, such that I had to change my AA return flight, which cost me $500.

Should I not have had to pay to change my AA flight???
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:48 am
Suspended

That's an example of what can happen with itineraries divided between two or more tickets. AA was not responsible for BA's rescheduling.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
That's an example of what can happen with itineraries divided between two or more tickets. AA was not responsible for BA's rescheduling.
I disagree - it should be covered by this rule: http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I disagree - it should be covered by this rule: http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
I disagree with dmsdfw. The policy is appliacable to disruptions - not rescheduling
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT
It does say customers holding separate tickets "should be treated as through ticketed passengers." If both of my flights were on the same ticket and they changed one flight, they'd have to change the second flight too, right?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by lfc84
I disagree with dmsdfw. The policy is appliacable to disruptions - not rescheduling
Rescheduling is a disruption. Just keep pressing AA. Do the hang up and call back method until you find an agent that sees it your way. Do not get into an argument because the AAgent might notate your PNR.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RevMen
It does say customers holding separate tickets "should be treated as through ticketed passengers." If both of my flights were on the same ticket and they changed one flight, they'd have to change the second flight too, right?
Not necessarily. If both flights were AA, I'd say pretty much yes. Since one is BA, the only thing that they would have to do is be willing to refund your ticket with no fees. However, AA are well known here for working with people to find a solution with changes like this, especially if you come to them with suggestions. With separate tickets, it could still happen, but it's not as likely and may take more than one call.

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Question

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
I agree with Austinrunner

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Originally Posted by RevMen
Originally Posted by Xero
Rescheduling is a disruption. Just keep pressing AA. Do the hang up and call back method until you find an agent that sees it your way. Do not get into an argument because the AAgent might notate your PNR.
Nice try but re-read the rule. "...the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination." AA is not responsible for anything in RevMen's situation. Good luck getting BA to do that. They probably don't even have this rule.

I also think the rule applies to day of departure scenarios.

SCHEDULE IRREGULARITY is defined by AA as:
An unplanned change or cancellation which normally occurs on the day of departure, but can occur up to 72 hours prior to the schedule departure. Examples - mechanical, ATC (Air Traffic Control), crew legality, weather, etc.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...ule_240_80.jsp
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:30 pm

Wanted to bounce this itinerary off you to see if I'm protected under this policy. I assume I am given that all flights are on AA or MX MQ metal and both separate ticket connections are well within the MCTs at the respective airports (JFK/LGA).

Code:
Ticket 1    YYZ - LGA                U-award fare 125 (BA) Ticket Stock
    Layover:    2:35
Ticket 2    LGA - DFW - ANC          Q-revenue fare 001 (AA) Ticket Stock
Ticket 3    ANC - DFW - MIA - BDA    A/I-revenue fare 001 (AA) Ticket Stock
Ticket 4    BDA - JFK                T-award fare 125 (BA) Ticket Stock
    Layover    4:15
Ticket 5    JFK - YYZ                U-award fare 125 (BA) Ticket Stock
If there is a disruption, do I have to rely on the same inventory buckets to be available or will any seat on the next available flight be fair game? I'm also wondering whether a disruption on the ANC - MIA - BDA sector would push me down to Y as the fare base is MCE5UPV1

Thanks

Last edited by evanderm; Jul 10, 2013 at 12:56 pm Reason: correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.