Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
What rules apply in the following case?

CX flight booked as an AA award (001 ticket, CX flight numbers): BKK-HKG-NRT
CX flight booked as a paid ticket issued by AA (001 ticket, CX flight numbers): NRT-HKG-JFK

If one of the segments on the BKK-HKG-NRT routing delays me to cause me to miss the CX flight from NRT, what happens? Is either CX or AA responsible for rerouting me to my final destination of JFK? I don't think this would fall under the policy in this thread's wiki since it's not an AA-operated or AA-marketed flight, so would CX bear responsibility despite 001 tickets?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Other than what used to be published by AA in its open sites to agents, there is no published policy that would require CX to do anything other than refer the passenger back to AA to deal with rebooking ( if fare allows it and any change fees paid ) as a no show

You are responsible for getting to NRT on time for your unrelated booking to USA

CX may assist on the day ( and I would suggest that there is a better chance that it will if the ticket is issued by CX rather than AA ) , but make sure to allow plenty of time in NRT between flights in case you find that it wont
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain
Although the webpage has presumably been moved and is now gated, is there a URL we could point an AA employee to so they can read the policy themselves instead of trusting a printed copy of a webpage that the passenger may have?

Or something we can tell the employee like "Can you go to internal system x and search for the terms y and z to point them to the policy?
In the sense that it was viewable before, it's viewable to them still, essentially right in the very same place:

Agency Reference -> Booking and Ticketing -> oneworld Reaccommodation- Separate Tickets

Changes to itineraries for Customers holding separate tickets:

AA to/from Non- oneworld® Carrier
Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility
for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed Customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:19 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Other than what used to be published by AA in its open sites to agents, there is no published policy that would require CX to do anything other than refer the passenger back to AA to deal with rebooking ( if fare allows it and any change fees paid ) as a no show

You are responsible for getting to NRT on time for your unrelated booking to USA

CX may assist on the day ( and I would suggest that there is a better chance that it will if the ticket is issued by CX rather than AA ) , but make sure to allow plenty of time in NRT between flights in case you find that it wont
IME, CX will protect you despite separate tickets. Had almost identical situation as described by asdf098 involving PVG-HKG and HKG-JFK as two award tickets issued by AA for CX.

PVG-HKG delayed due to ATC...surprise surprise. Got to HKG a good 45 minutes after HKG-JFK departed. Was already proactively rebooked on evening HKG-JFK upon arrival. Original HKG-JFK was a First award. Not sure if that played a role. Had to spend 3 extra hours in CX F lounge. The horror.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
What options do I have here...

Booked in J KUL-HKG on MH and HKG-DFW on AA. MH448 to HKG recently (according to the MH restructuring thread and A.net) cancelled and is no longer bookable, just hasn't reflected on AA's side yet.

I already had one schedule change (on the domestic DFW-TPA) portion so they unlocked seats in J on the HKG-DFW flight in the first place.

Question is, would it be feasible for AA to put me on MH to PVG then AA's 787 to DFW? Still allows me to make my TPA connection and keeps me on a similar product. CX flight's don't get me to TPA in time (either a LAX redeye or overnight elsewhere).

When I called the agent couldn't change anything yet since their system wasn't yet aware of the schedule change, but she did say MH was open for us to get to PVG but not on AA (but stressed it'll be a 'different story' once the schedule change hits).

What are my options? Will AA protect me through PVG? How hard should I push it? I don't exactly want to be stuck on a 2-3-2 777 out of Asia...
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
What options do I have here...

Booked in J KUL-HKG on MH and HKG-DFW on AA. MH448 to HKG recently (according to the MH restructuring thread and A.net) cancelled and is no longer bookable, just hasn't reflected on AA's side yet.

I already had one schedule change (on the domestic DFW-TPA) portion so they unlocked seats in J on the HKG-DFW flight in the first place.

Question is, would it be feasible for AA to put me on MH to PVG then AA's 787 to DFW? Still allows me to make my TPA connection and keeps me on a similar product. CX flight's don't get me to TPA in time (either a LAX redeye or overnight elsewhere).

When I called the agent couldn't change anything yet since their system wasn't yet aware of the schedule change, but she did say MH was open for us to get to PVG but not on AA (but stressed it'll be a 'different story' once the schedule change hits).

What are my options? Will AA protect me through PVG? How hard should I push it? I don't exactly want to be stuck on a 2-3-2 777 out of Asia...
Not covered by this policy as this thread deals with schedule irregularities which by definition happens a couple of days prior to departure. You are dealing with a schedule change which is a different thing.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
This article http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ghts-go-wrong/ from View From the Wing suggests that this protection is actually a OneWorld policy - albeit undocumented for public consumption.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
This article http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ghts-go-wrong/ from View From the Wing suggests that this protection is actually a OneWorld policy - albeit undocumented for public consumption.
That site is not quoting anything new and possibly providing wrong information and just like the FT thread it is referring to; it is mere speculation. There's no agreement on that thread as to the definition of "through check." Some thinks it means having checked baggage. As I stated on that thread, if OW policy is to protect you on separate tickets, I would think they would protect you regardless of checked baggage. Until we have more data points from actual experiences, I wouldn't make my arrangements on this being a OW policy.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:23 am
wdc

do the same rules apply to oneworld affiliates such as dragon air and niki?

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/43.0.2357.61 Mobile/12H143 Safari/600.1.4)

Ugh had a ba agent try and deny a ticket this week because they didn't believe the policy would allow this. He was convinced American was in error and wasted an hour of my time trying to prove me wrong. Annoying.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/43.0.2357.61 Mobile/12H143 Safari/600.1.4)

Ugh had a ba agent try and deny a ticket this week because they didn't believe the policy would allow this. He was convinced American was in error and wasted an hour of my time trying to prove me wrong. Annoying.
Since it is AA that has the policy that used to be visible, it would be AA to take it up with ; BA publishes no such benefit
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

The BA agent was correct. BA does not have a policy of protecting across tickets, including its own (although it generally will).

AA alone had such a policy, but has recently changed its website and no longer publishes such a policy. The policy remains on its back pages for TA's, although it is unclear whether that is simply poor site maintenance.

Also worth noting that AA's policy only covered "irregularities" not such broader problems as advance schedule changes and the like.

None of this is to suggest that you can't enlist an agent to be helpful even if that "help" is not required by policy. It does, however, suggest a very light touch, lest an agent make entries in the PNR notes which tie the hands of a later agent who might be better disposed.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Member
Original Poster

As both Dave Noble and Often1 wrote, this is/was an AA published policy and not a alliance-wide policy. If one of your tickets involved AA, then you should have AA resolve this. If none of your tickets involved AA, then the policy referred to in this thread is not applicable.

Originally Posted by wdc
do the same rules apply to oneworld affiliates such as dragon air and niki?

Thanks
Yes as long as the other connecting flight is AA.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Since it is AA that has the policy that used to be visible, it would be AA to take it up with ; BA publishes no such benefit
Well, AA's policy said that the late-delivering carrier would be responsible for re-accommodating the passenger. But since it's AA's policy, intervention by AA might be required even if BA is the late-delivering carrier.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Well, AA's policy said that the late-delivering carrier would be responsible for re-accommodating the passenger. But since it's AA's policy, intervention by AA might be required even if BA is the late-delivering carrier.
This would only be applicable if you were connecting AA->BA or BA->AA , then contacting AA based on its policies would be the place to go

If this wasn't a connection between AA and BA , then the policy would not be applicable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.