Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Apparently you do get protected on separate tickets as long as both are oneWorld flights.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

To avoid confusion, this thread has now been split out from the older, now outdated thread to which it was original posted.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Nov 22, 2011 at 2:29 pm
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:21 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by seawolf
Apparently you do get protected on separate tickets as long as both are oneWorld flights.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
Thanks for providing that link! ^ For posterity's sake (i.e., in case the wording changes or the page goes away), I've copied the text below:

Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets:

AA to/from Non- oneworld® Carrier
Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good find, seawolf!

For those with limited connections,

Originally Posted by aa.com
AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier

If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.
Not so for a non-oneworld carrier.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
That contradicts a lot of information given in the forums. It was often said that if you had two AA flights on separate tickets, then you are on your own if there is a misconnect.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd say published information on aa.com trumps a lot of information given" in the forums, no? It specifically mentions AA and oneworld, and it's a good thing for those of us who do this (I've also requested a note added to one PNR about the connection).

It looks like two of us were posting nearly simultaneously - I should type faster, but then my acurcacy wud bee lst.

Originally Posted by Xero
That contradicts a lot of information given in the forums. It was often said that if you had two AA flights on separate tickets, then you are on your own if there is a misconnect.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:07 pm

Good find! I could make use of this new found information.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP: 1.5543014MM, but who's counting?
Excellent news. This should make it easier when booking positioning flights for MRs... I currently try to leave a good 3 hours between the arrival of a positioning flight and the first MR segment. Knowing about this rule, however, I might shrink that in half for future mile runs...
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Though I feel that some AAgents will not be aware of this rule. So I'll keep a bookmark of it on my phone to show them if any funny stuff happens.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:01 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AustinJosh
Excellent news. This should make it easier when booking positioning flights for MRs... I currently try to leave a good 3 hours between the arrival of a positioning flight and the first MR segment. Knowing about this rule, however, I might shrink that in half for future mile runs...
I think you're good as long as the two flights form a legal connection. As Xero indicated, you should probably get a printout of that policy as well. I get the impression agents may not be aware of this policy.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Many thanks, Seawolf, for finding and posting it. This will make my travel easier, too.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Excellent find as my wife and I will be buying separate tickets within Spain/Portugal this summer. We have our return flights from Madrid to New York booked on AA #95 (yuk 757), but were trying to weigh our risks of taking an IB flight from either Lisbon or Seville to Madrid and connect to that flight same day. Heavy risk because the flight connections from Schengen zone to non Schengen zone in MAD can be difficult at times.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:19 pm

Connecting on two separate tickets, advise sort

Thinking of buying the following tickets:-

JFK - SJO rtn (stop in MIA in inbound)

MIA - NAS rtn.

Would like to fly the flights in this sequence:-

JFK - SJO
SJO - MIA
MIA - NAS
NAS - MIA (connection only) - JFK.

I know in light on AA's Chapter 11 some flights may be cancelled. If I show my ticket in SJO for MIA - NAS I know I can have my bag tagged for NAS, but will AA give me the boarding pass for the flight MIA - NAS when I check in at SJO and what happens if my first flight is delayed and I have already checked in for the second. Does online check in protect me, does anything protect me? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:28 pm

I've got an award redemption on CX coming up and I'm thinking of booking AA positioning flights, but they transition through ORD in February. If the weather goes down, how do I "inform" AA of my connecting flight on CX? Call them to note the PNR?

And then there's this fine language at the bottom of the page:

Information contained on this web site is subject to change at any time without notice. American Airlines shall not be liable for any consequences resulting from your reliance on the information.
Fine legalese, I guess it means even if AA doesn't protect the connection in case of irrops there's no remedy?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AA, CX Asia Miles, United MileagePlus, HHonors
Booking AA award ticket + separate AA connecting ticket

I'm using the stopover rule to go from GRU-DFW-HNL using AAdvantage miles, with the GRU-DFW flight on evening of June 6 and the DFW-HNL on Sep 2. On June 7, I need to get from DFW back to my home LIT, so I was either going to use up some CX Asia Miles that are expiring soon for the DFW-LIT part (yeah, I know it's a bad use of miles, but I just need to use them up since they expire in 2 weeks and I only have enough miles for this one way flight). I could also pay cash for the DFW-LIT flight. My question is, I arrive in DFW from GRU on June 7 at 6:10 AM. If I book an AA award flight with CX Asia Miles (or buy a revenue flight) going from DFW-LIT departing 9:55 AM, and I miss that flight due to the GRU-DFW flight being delayed, would AA put me on the next flight to LIT with no extra fees or penalties?

Also, going from DFW-LIT departing at 7 AM is also an option (either with award ticket or paid). Would you recommend that at all since it would only be 50 minutes after the 6:10 AM arrival from GRU?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cloudeleven
I'm using the stopover rule to go from GRU-DFW-HNL using AAdvantage miles, with the GRU-DFW flight on evening of June 6 and the DFW-HNL on Sep 2. On June 7, I need to get from DFW back to my home LIT, so I was either going to use up some CX Asia Miles that are expiring soon for the DFW-LIT part (yeah, I know it's a bad use of miles, but I just need to use them up since they expire in 2 weeks and I only have enough miles for this one way flight). I could also pay cash for the DFW-LIT flight. My question is, I arrive in DFW from GRU on June 7 at 6:10 AM. If I book an AA award flight with CX Asia Miles (or buy a revenue flight) going from DFW-LIT departing 9:55 AM, and I miss that flight due to the GRU-DFW flight being delayed, would AA put me on the next flight to LIT with no extra fees or penalties?

Also, going from DFW-LIT departing at 7 AM is also an option (either with award ticket or paid). Would you recommend that at all since it would only be 50 minutes after the 6:10 AM arrival from GRU?
If you miss what would be a legal connection if booked on the same PNR due to their flight being late, they will put you on another flight. It might not be the next flight if the next flight is full, it would be the next flight with space available.

I would not try for the 7 AM. First, I'm not sure that is within the minimum connect time for an international to domestic transfer, and second it just doesn't seem like enough time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.