Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:54 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by fotographer
No sorry she has to status to use them
Is that true? I thought one could use it on a full Y fare.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
not anymore.
OP can request upgrade for his wife and it will be pulled fron her account. Since OP is a gold there is a Morrow chance of upgrade.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Upgrades are only available for those with elite status. That said, you basically need Platinum Pro to have a hope of an upgrade, or to even have a shot at one EP. Unless someone is flying from Cowhide, AR to Bumble Eff, OH.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
You could pay for a gold status challenge with gold status during the challenge. It will cost you around $300. You also risk not getting upgraded, but depending on how many people there are on your reservation, you might be able to offset that cost with free MCE seats at check in.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Does anyone know if there's been a change in policy for when 500-mile upgrades are deducted from your account? From past experience it's always been at departure. However, today I was upgraded for a flight tomorrow, and 2 upgrades seem to have already been deducted. It doesn't yet show in the "redeemed" section when I view the details, but my total number of upgrades available has decreased by 2.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat
When you upgrade with 500mile upgrades, what fare class do you end up in and how do you earn miles?

recent trip from JFK to MIA booked in V.

EQM: 1090
Award miles, base: 620
Award miles bonus: 372

I understand the EQM , but how was the bonus award miles calculated? V fares get only 50% so where does the 620 come from? And how do they calculate the 372? I have platinum status so I’m not sure where the 40% bonus is coming from.

But back to my main question, I booked my flight through chase, which uses Expedia. When the upgrade cleared two days before, chase sent an email saying that the Fare code was now R. Shouldn’t I be expecting more award miles from the 500-mile upgrade?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by peaches070
EQM: 1090
Award miles, base: 620
Award miles bonus: 372

I understand the EQM , but how was the bonus award miles calculated? V fares get only 50% so where does the 620 come from? And how do they calculate the 372? I have platinum status so I’m not sure where the 40% bonus is coming from.
How many EQDs did you earn for this flight? Award miles are based on EQD earning along with your status. PLAT earns 8 mi/EQD, and AA always calculates the base as 5 mi/EQD (what is earned if you have no status) and the rest as bonus. My guess is that you earned 124 EQDs. 5x124 =620, 3x124=372.

you don’t get any more miles - EQM or award miles - if the fare class changes based on an upgrade.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by msr0013
Does anyone know if there's been a change in policy for when 500-mile upgrades are deducted from your account? From past experience it's always been at departure. However, today I was upgraded for a flight tomorrow, and 2 upgrades seem to have already been deducted. It doesn't yet show in the "redeemed" section when I view the details, but my total number of upgrades available has decreased by 2.
Yes when your upgrade clears AA will automatically deduct stickers. Now how you get them back if you didn't take that flight I'm not sure-is it automatic or would you need to call Customer Service. On the flip side stickers earned are posting with miles instead of the usual 24 hour lag.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msr0013
I had a weird experience the other day which seems to indicate that they pull stickers when checking in, even if the upgrade hasn't occurred. I was traveling with my non-status wife on a domestic itinerary. After checking in and seeing that the upgrades might clear, I noticed that I only had 2 stickers left and the trip needed 3, so I purchased one more since I know they take time to process and become available. Turns out her upgrade didn't clear and this morning I now see 6 stickers in my account which leads me to believe they removed the stickers for her upgrade when checking in and then when the upgrade didn't occur, they redeposited them. Activity log on aa.com doesn't show the removal/redeposit, but I'm nearly 100% certain it occurred otherwise I wouldn't have purchased a sticker.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I had a weird experience the other day which seems to indicate that they pull stickers when checking in, even if the upgrade hasn't occurred. I was traveling with my non-status wife on a domestic itinerary. After checking in and seeing that the upgrades might clear, I noticed that I only had 2 stickers left and the trip needed 3, so I purchased one more since I know they take time to process and become available. Turns out her upgrade didn't clear and this morning I now see 6 stickers in my account which leads me to believe they removed the stickers for her upgrade when checking in and then when the upgrade didn't occur, they redeposited them. Activity log on aa.com doesn't show the removal/redeposit, but I'm nearly 100% certain it occurred otherwise I wouldn't have purchased a sticker.
The stickers are placed “on hold” once you check-in. It helps to minimize the likelihood that GAs will need to wait for someone to make the purchase if they clear at the gate, which ultimately could delay a flight. While “on hold,” they do appear to be removed from your accumulated balance that is reflected in your account. They aren’t truly deducted until the flight departs.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Kinda sounds like a credit card authorization at a hotel. A hold is put on for the required amount but not actually charged unless needed. If not needed, the hold's released and you get your money back.

Makes sense. AA "authorizes" the stickers so they know the upgrade will be covered if given. However, it appears as there's no "pending" status for the authorization to actually track it.

Good to know so folks can be aware of how many stickers they have ahead of time. I don't know if I would have noticed this as I typically travel by myself and would only know if i had the stickers to cover the request at booking. I wouldn't check again until after the trip to make sure everything was deducted correctly.

One issue I can see is if you request more upgrades than you have stickers on a trip. Will you run into trouble if the first leg doesn't clear but the second one does? Or will AA ask you to cover the missing stickers before upgrading?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I’m fine with the hold/authorization process, but let people know so they don’t unnecessarily purchase stickers. Oh, wait....
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Hello,

I'm a very new PP. I don't understand if I do the following can I upgrade my family member as a companion.

1. I am flying on a Main Cabin ticket BNA->DFW->LAS
2. I plan to purchase the same itinerary for family member as a Milesaaver award ticket.
3. I have plenty of stickers in my account, my family member has no elite status.

Can I link her trip to mine and upgrade her? I think if I had bought myself an award ticket I can't be upgraded, but I don't understand this situation with a companion award ticket.

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tennlee
Hello,

I'm a very new PP. I don't understand if I do the following can I upgrade my family member as a companion.

1. I am flying on a Main Cabin ticket BNA->DFW->LAS
2. I plan to purchase the same itinerary for family member as a Milesaaver award ticket.
3. I have plenty of stickers in my account, my family member has no elite status.

Can I link her trip to mine and upgrade her? I think if I had bought myself an award ticket I can't be upgraded, but I don't understand this situation with a companion award ticket.

Thanks
No, only EXP/CK can upgrade award tickets.

The only way to do this is to book a normal paid ticket for the family member. Then you can call AA and request an upgrade for them as your companion, based on your PP status and using your stickers.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
One thing I've noticed as my last day of PLT. When you check in and have requested an upgrade AA will deduct those stickers from your account whether you clear or not. If you don't clear after flight the stickers show back in your account.

A favorable thing happened to me over the weekend when I had 3 flights. Flight one got me the 12.5K miles needed for 4 earned stickers while Flight two put me over the threshold for PP. By the next day I had the 4 stickers deposited, my status update as well as the status changed on my reservations and all future flights auto upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.