Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It's all going to depend upon the day of the week, time of day, route of travel. Saturday afternoons and evening are the best chances, particularly a wide body domestic flight.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
It depends on the routes/times you fly. I get upgraded about 50% of the time using them as a platinum for myself and my girlfriend (she's gold).
Lucky you. I fly out of DCA/IAD mostly and my sticker upgrade percentage as a platinum has gone to -0- post merger. I occasionally get a "free" upgrade on the LGA shuttle. Better than nothing, but not by much. I've moved to buying first up front on personal travel if the additional cost isn't too much, but that doesn't help with business trips.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: CK or bust
For one thing they don't expire, they don't cost you anything extra to accrue in the natural course of flying, and you can accrue them rather quickly as a high-flying GL or PL. Everything else has already been said.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
PPRO here and I’m 0-4 when trying to “spend” stickers and 2-5 on sub 500 mile complimentary for all elites routes.

I spent around 5 years as a PLAT before making PPRO this year and soon learnt to request an upgrade no matter the flight length as the stickers were almost impossible to use.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
I accumulated 79 500 mile upgrade stickers on my way to EXP and in the last 4 years have only managed to spend 2! I rarely travel with anybody so don't get a chance to spend them. Used to fly from the UK to ORD and then on to STL so earned lots but had very little chance to spend any, if an upgrade cleared it only ever took one and for the longest time I didn't even understand what they were for and was never ticking the request upgrade box :-)
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Gosh, I've bought 4 stickers in the last 3 months. My wife is Gold and requires more stickers than she accumulates.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Gosh, I've bought 4 stickers in the last 3 months. My wife is Gold and requires more stickers than she accumulates.
I'm in the same boat. I've probably had to buy 15 or so 500 mile stickers over the last two years as platinum/gold for me and my family. Almost always get upgraded ex-CVG, ex-DAY, or ex-CMH. Even received two op-ups on award tickets ex-CVG when travelling with my family (who have no status).

What helps, I think, is that in SW Ohio just about everyone is still completely and 100% loyal to Delta, like CVG was still a hub or something. Its almost comical, but the few times I have been on Delta ex-CVG or ex-DAY, the upgrade list is 40 or 50 names long. Took a recent miserable flight from LAX-CVG a DL red eye on what might have been the oldest Delta 737 in the fleet. Spent the extra money to purchase comfort+ so it could have been worse -- but there were alot of disappointed DL elites stuck in economy. The upgrade list was easily 60 names long.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Hey DAArksiders!

Having an old issue with AA and going round and round and round with it and wanted some guidance., forgive long post I am EP and my wife or daughter often fly with me (just talking about a total of 2 folks in the PNR here). Each one of them is a PLT. When we fly, I want the 500-mile upgrades to come out of my account and not the account of my wife or daughter (whomever is flying with me). The 500-mile upgrades always pull from the other lower tier and not mine. I know that this is a flaw in the AA system that has existed forever and a day.

Now, in the old days prior to merger, there was one of two ways to fix this, either (A) have a Gate Agent/Ticketing Agent do it at the airport if the upgrade confirmed prior, or (B) have the EP desk prior to the upgrade being confirmed tinker with the reservation to assure that they pull from the elite with the higher tier account.

At CLT this weekend, I was told by the Ticketing Agent at the Priority Checkin Desk and by an AC AAngel that they could not help me without stripping the frequent flyer no. out for my wife and having her request credit for the flight later. They went on to tell me I needed to call the EP desk prior to upgrade confirmation and have the EP Agent tinker with the reservation as set forth in (B). EP desk while on the phone at the airport insisted that the Ticketing Desk could do it, the Ticketing Agent said no they could not talked to their help desk and was adamant and rude.

Ok, I have a reservation this weekend coming up with my daughter and called the EP desk to tinker with the reservation since we have not cleared yet as described in (B). The EP Agent said she could not do (B) and I would need to do (A) notwithstanding that CLT Ticketing Agent insisted it could not be done. So neither (A) nor (B) seems to work.

Stripping the frequent flyer no and asking for credit after the flight seems silly and stupid. Would love some guidance from y'all on how to proceed so I can get around this issue this weekend and in the future.

TIA and Safe Travels
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Hey DAArksiders!

Having an old issue with AA and going round and round and round with it and wanted some guidance., forgive long post I am EP and my wife or daughter often fly with me (just talking about a total of 2 folks in the PNR here). Each one of them is a PLT. When we fly, I want the 500-mile upgrades to come out of my account and not the account of my wife or daughter (whomever is flying with me). The 500-mile upgrades always pull from the other lower tier and not mine. I know that this is a flaw in the AA system that has existed forever and a day.

Now, in the old days prior to merger, there was one of two ways to fix this, either (A) have a Gate Agent/Ticketing Agent do it at the airport if the upgrade confirmed prior, or (B) have the EP desk prior to the upgrade being confirmed tinker with the reservation to assure that they pull from the elite with the higher tier account.

At CLT this weekend, I was told by the Ticketing Agent at the Priority Checkin Desk and by an AC AAngel that they could not help me without stripping the frequent flyer no. out for my wife and having her request credit for the flight later. They went on to tell me I needed to call the EP desk prior to upgrade confirmation and have the EP Agent tinker with the reservation as set forth in (B). EP desk while on the phone at the airport insisted that the Ticketing Desk could do it, the Ticketing Agent said no they could not talked to their help desk and was adamant and rude.

Ok, I have a reservation this weekend coming up with my daughter and called the EP desk to tinker with the reservation since we have not cleared yet as described in (B). The EP Agent said she could not do (B) and I would need to do (A) notwithstanding that CLT Ticketing Agent insisted it could not be done. So neither (A) nor (B) seems to work.

Stripping the frequent flyer no and asking for credit after the flight seems silly and stupid. Would love some guidance from y'all on how to proceed so I can get around this issue this weekend and in the future.

TIA and Safe Travels
I'm EXP and my girlfriend is PLT and we run into these issues all the time. Like everything AA these days it comes down to getting a well trained agent (either over the phone or at the airport) that knows what they're doing and is willing to help to set up the upgrade requests how you want. It's ridiculous that both agents at CLT would not remove her number in the instance above.

My understanding is that the companion's AA # doesn't need to be removed completely, just at the time of the upgrade request, so that its set up that they will inherit your status and pull stickers from your account.

My girlfriend has plenty of stickers, however when the waitlist goes to airport control each pax is sorted based on their own status (even on same PNR), so I will be #1 and she will be #10. In order to fix it a (good) agent has to essentially remove her AA #, re-request the upgrade as if she was a no-status companion (she inherits my EXP status on the waitlist and stickers are pulled my account), then add back her AA #. This can be accomplished all at once, you don't need to leave their AA # until after the flight then request retro credit.

In all of the instances where we've been through this gyration she goes from #10 to #2 on the waitlist, and if we do clear the stickers are pulled from my account.

For future reference, when speaking with agents, rather than tell them you want the stickers pulled from your account, tell them you'd like to set up the request so that your companion will inherit your EXP status if it goes to airport control (pulling stickers from your account is an automatic byproduct of setting it up this way). You can also just leave out their AA # till the very last minute. Once your upgrades clear and you're checked in and have boarding passes, then ask an airport agent to add her number back.
GTITAN, enpremiere and laagima like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:22 pm

500 Mile Upgrade Cert question

My wife lost her elite status but has 10 500-Mile certs remaining in her account. I am a current Gold with zero certs. We are both flying with our kids on the same itin and I am wondering if there is a way to use the certs between both of our accounts. I suspect the answer is no. I tried to call AA but we are currently in Mexico and for some reason I cannot call 800 numbers. If anyone knows the non toll free number, I'd appreciate that as well.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
No sorry she has to status to use them
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:01 pm

To dial a US 800 number from Mexico dial 001 880 then the number. If calling from a land line it will not be toll free.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by michaelr
My wife lost her elite status but has 10 500-Mile certs remaining in her account. I am a current Gold with zero certs. We are both flying with our kids on the same itin and I am wondering if there is a way to use the certs between both of our accounts. I suspect the answer is no. I tried to call AA but we are currently in Mexico and for some reason I cannot call 800 numbers. If anyone knows the non toll free number, I'd appreciate that as well.
Install Skype and make free North American 800/866/877/888 calls to your heart's content. But they will say no.

I have 87 500 milers that I will never use and which they don't swap for points any more.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Install Skype and make free North American 800/866/877/888 calls to your heart's content. But they will say no.

I have 87 500 milers that I will never use and which they don't swap for points any more.
Thank you for confirming. I appreciate that.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Gringa
To dial a US 800 number from Mexico dial 001 880 then the number. If calling from a land line it will not be toll free.
Thanks. I had found out in the meantime how to dial from Mexico to the US on a Samsung S8 with Sprint. I needed to dial +1 800. I had only tried 1 800 and when I test called other numbers, they had been stored in the address book with the + sign already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.