Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:31 pm

500-mile upgrades as a non-elite member

I have 20 500-mile upgrades in my account but am no longer an elite member due to a lapse in travel.

I just booked a non-Basic Economy ticket, but don't see an option online to request an upgrade using my 500-mile upgrades.
Is that expected?

Also, are 500-mile upgrades requestable via the AA app?

Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
I have 20 500-mile upgrades in my account but am no longer an elite member due to a lapse in travel.

I just booked a non-Basic Economy ticket, but don't see an option online to request an upgrade using my 500-mile upgrades.
Is that expected?

Also, are 500-mile upgrades requestable via the AA app?

Thanks!
You cannot use 500 mi upgrades unless you have status, which is why you don't see any option to upgrade with them.

They never expire, so they will just sit in your account indefinitely. If you ever get status again then you can use them.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You cannot use 500 mi upgrades unless you have status, which is why you don't see any option to upgrade with them.

They never expire, so they will just sit in your account indefinitely. If you ever get status again then you can use them.
Ah, I have been elite for so long that I didn't know that. Thank you.
At least I'll earn Gold soon so I'll be able to use these for my future trips.

Will I be able to request them in the app? Not sure if the app has been enhanced to allow it.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Ah, I have been elite for so long that I didn't know that. Thank you.
At least I'll earn Gold soon so I'll be able to use these for my future trips.

Will I be able to request them in the app? Not sure if the app has been enhanced to allow it.
Yes you can request in the app, very simple to do.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I just now learned the option for non elites to upgrade B and Y fares ended 3 1/2 years ago.
Thankfully, I have lifetime status
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

Like the 121 I have earned and literally can never use, more useless since they got rid of the process where they would give you miles for them if they could see you only fly on J or F where they are not required or to places where they are not valid.

Maybe I will start asking gate agents to randomly upgrade people with my 500 milers.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Like the 121 I have earned and literally can never use, more useless since they got rid of the process where they would give you miles for them if they could see you only fly on J or F where they are not required or to places where they are not valid.

Maybe I will start asking gate agents to randomly upgrade people with my 500 milers.
From my experience you cannot gift them to anyone. They are in limbo until you regain status.
it is also my understanding that they cannot be gifted like miles.
dciolli likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Originally Posted by jagoffee
From my experience you cannot gift them to anyone. They are in limbo until you regain status.
it is also my understanding that they cannot be gifted like miles.
You can use them for companion upgrades (if you have status). If I fly with non-status colleagues I will add them to the upgrade list using my 500 mile stickers.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
I just now learned the option for non elites to upgrade B and Y fares ended 3 1/2 years ago.
Well, considering B is now the fare code for basic economy on AA flights...that part of it shouldn't be surprising
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If I am traveling with a non-status companion and sponsoring an upgrade for them on a sub-500 mile flight, is this complimentary for the companion like it would be for me, or will it cost me 1 500-mile sticker?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by javabytes
If I am traveling with a non-status companion and sponsoring an upgrade for them on a sub-500 mile flight, is this complimentary for the companion like it would be for me, or will it cost me 1 500-mile sticker?
It will cost you one sticker, upgrades are not free for companions.
stc likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:03 pm

Need advice on a flight tomorrow. Companion is platinum, I am gold. On different PNRs. We called AA several months ago and set this up to link the PNRs and have the companion use her 500 mile upgrades for me. AAgent said she knew how to do this.

We are now a T-24 hours. My companion has been upgraded, but I have not. Would this happen if our PNRs were properly linked for a companion upgrade? Or if there is only one seat released, does the sponsoring companion get upgraded on her own rather than waiting until two seats open?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Need advice on a flight tomorrow. Companion is platinum, I am gold. On different PNRs. We called AA several months ago and set this up to link the PNRs and have the companion use her 500 mile upgrades for me. AAgent said she knew how to do this.

We are now a T-24 hours. My companion has been upgraded, but I have not. Would this happen if our PNRs were properly linked for a companion upgrade? Or if there is only one seat released, does the sponsoring companion get upgraded on her own rather than waiting until two seats open?
That's all in how the request is set up, but it can get tricky when both pax have a different status. The agent can set up the request so that either you both get upgraded or none, or that separate is ok if only one seat opens up. Looks like it was the latter in this case.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:26 am

That's all in how the request is set up, but it can get tricky when both pax have a different status. The agent can set up the request so that either you both get upgraded or none, or that separate is ok if only one seat opens up. Looks like it was the latter in this case.
I second that. If upgrade was setup to split PNR in case there is only 1 seat - Plat will be upgraded first even tho they are companions since upgrade is prioritized by status.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
why would this guy clear already?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.