Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
In order to waitlist "separate is ok" like this you have to split the PNR as far as I know. There really is almost no benefit for the companion being on the same PNR that can't be accomplished through other means.
So a companion on a separate PNR can still get the benefit of my status for the trip?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mcrw00
So a companion on a separate PNR can still get the benefit of my status for the trip?
Yes.

It will be no problem for them to use priority check-in with you, priority security, and they can board in your group. A simple "they're with me" works 99% of the time.

For seats, you just need to call AA to get them seated in preferred and/or MCE seats next to you for no charge.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by mcrw00
For an itinerary with a lower-status companion, is there a way to allow upgrading of just one of us should only one seat become available (without wholly splitting the PNR and severing the companion’s connection to my status)?
In my experience, once control of upgrades goes to the airport, the gate agents will split groups to upgrade. I'm not sure whether that is following AA policy or not, but a lot of the time when I'm travelling with my family/girlfriend/friends on the same PNR, we get upgraded separately.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
In order to waitlist "separate is ok" like this you have to split the PNR as far as I know. There really is almost no benefit for the companion being on the same PNR that can't be accomplished through other means.
I'm pretty sure being correctly handled in IRROPS is a good benefit of being on the same PNR.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sassysan
I'm pretty sure being correctly handled in IRROPS is a good benefit of being on the same PNR.
Complete non-issue. AA is not going to force your companion to take the bus while you're rerouted in First Class just because you're on a separate PNR. It doesn't work like that at all.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Just to update, I took a gamble and decided to see if my upgrade using stickers would clear. Although it looked promising a couple of days out, yesterday morning the app started offering VDB vouchers and they had stopped selling seats for the flight so I knew that 99% I wouldn't get it. And I was right. I was #5 on the upgrade list and only the first person cleared.

I was fine with my MCE seat as the entire flight took only about 2 hrs 45 mins. For longer flights I book straight into J or F but for such relatively short flights E+ suits me fine.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Missing a flight with upgrade - what happens to stickers?

I am sure this has been asked before, but I could not find. I have an upcoming (domestic) flight that there is a decent chance I will be late for due to a rescheduled work meeting. I would like to request to use a sticker upgrade to F, but am worried about losing the stickers if I miss the flight and have to rebook on a later one. What happens in this scenario (assuming the upgrade clears)? Are the stickers redeposited or do I lose them permanently?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Right in the terms & conditions:

"Upgrades will not be refunded, exchanged or transferred."
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
Just to update, I took a gamble and decided to see if my upgrade using stickers would clear. Although it looked promising a couple of days out, yesterday morning the app started offering VDB vouchers and they had stopped selling seats for the flight so I knew that 99% I wouldn't get it. And I was right. I was #5 on the upgrade list and only the first person cleared.

I was fine with my MCE seat as the entire flight took only about 2 hrs 45 mins. For longer flights I book straight into J or F but for such relatively short flights E+ suits me fine.
Forgot to mention that my upgrade request on the return flight the following day surprisingly did clear in advance although it was also a full flight and I didn't even have to go on the waitlist. Was more than glad .
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Often1
Right in the terms & conditions:

"Upgrades will not be refunded, exchanged or transferred."
It's not the policy, but agents are able to get the system to refund you your stickers.

You can't rely on the agent doing things in your favor since it's officially against policy, but you can be friendly and hope for the best.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I am Platinum Pro and will be flying with no-status Mrs Huge in 5 days, both on revenue tix purchased together on one record: STT-MIA / MIA-SAN. Upgrades for her are already shown as requested online, and will cost 3x 500-mile stickers for STT-MIA and 5x stickers for MIA-SAN.

Mrs Huge has 20x 500-mile upgrade stickers in her account from a previous status challenge. I only have four, and I will drop to Gold next year and she will remain without status. If we both manage to get upgraded we would much prefer to spend her stickers rather than mine, and in fact I don't have enough to upgrade her on the second leg of our trip. Is there any way to make sure that her stickers are used if she can be upgraded? (Or will that happen automatically?)
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EP
Technically, since she is using ur status, the stickers are suppose to come from ur account. And since she has no status, I don’t believe she can even use hers

ymmv.

Originally Posted by huge
I am Platinum Pro and will be flying with no-status Mrs Huge in 5 days, both on revenue tix purchased together on one record: STT-MIA / MIA-SAN. Upgrades for her are already shown as requested online, and will cost 3x 500-mile stickers for STT-MIA and 5x stickers for MIA-SAN.

Mrs Huge has 20x 500-mile upgrade stickers in her account from a previous status challenge. I only have four, and I will drop to Gold next year and she will remain without status. If we both manage to get upgraded we would much prefer to spend her stickers rather than mine, and in fact I don't have enough to upgrade her on the second leg of our trip. Is there any way to make sure that her stickers are used if she can be upgraded? (Or will that happen automatically?)
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by huge

Instead of buying stickers, you may want to consider putting yourselves on the list for a mileage upgrade. I believe that it would be $75 plus 15K miles per person. The mileage upgrade would be confirmed before a sticker upgrade and you would be ahead of everybody else on the complimentary upgrade list. If you both do get the sticker upgrades for both legs, you would have to buy 12 stickers - $480.

Link to AA page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Technically, since she is using ur status, the stickers are suppose to come from ur account. And since she has no status, I don’t believe she can even use hers

ymmv.
Thanks for your reply - does this mean there is really no way to spend hers, even if I don't have enough and she does? (For example if we get upgraded on the first leg so I spend 3 of my 4 on her upgrade but then we're eligible to be upgraded for the second leg that would cost 5)
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
Instead of buying stickers, you may want to consider putting yourselves on the list for a mileage upgrade. I believe that it would be $75 plus 15K miles per person. The mileage upgrade would be confirmed before a sticker upgrade and you would be ahead of everybody else on the complimentary upgrade list. If you both do get the sticker upgrades for both legs, you would have to buy 12 stickers - $480.

Link to AA page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp
Thanks for your reply but I don't understand - I would never be charged for my own upgrade, right (since I'm Platinum Pro)?

We're probably too cheap to pay actual dollars for the upgrade.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I used the 15k miles / $75 route today to upgrade my MEX-DFW-OKC return flight in March. I was instantly confirmed on both legs. Looking forward to AC/FL access as an added bonus to the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.