Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Yes, you were able to use them on Y and B fares, although those fares were often more expensive than non-refundable first class tickets. My wife was able to use several during a non-status period when we were rebooked from DL to AA and the AA reservation was booked as a Y fare. They should also be useful to non-elites if traveling with a companion with status. And I believe at one point AA let you exchange them for something like 500 AAdvantage miles.

But these were/are pretty rare circumstances. I had four "stickers" that sat orphaned from 1999, when I was Gold for a year, until 2010 when I regained AA status.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
I thought the traveling companion of an upgrading elite could use their (lower elite or non-elite companion) stickers instead of the elite's stickers to pay for an upgrade. It sounded like it was a pain to process it that way, but possible.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 5:14 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is it just me, or is the upgrade request dialogue still missing from aa.com despite them now allowing full elite benefits on basic economy bookings?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ramcm7
I thought the traveling companion of an upgrading elite could use their (lower elite or non-elite companion) stickers instead of the elite's stickers to pay for an upgrade. It sounded like it was a pain to process it that way, but possible.
If the companion uses their own stickers then they are supposed to upgrade at their own status level as if they were on their own, which usually isn't what you want.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:21 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Is it just me, or is the upgrade request dialogue still missing from aa.com despite them now allowing full elite benefits on basic economy bookings?
Still missing for basic economy tickets, but staff are able to do it if you call or tweet them and ask. This was for one that required stickers. I guess AA.com hasn’t gotten around to updating after the rules change.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Jan 17, 2021 at 3:38 pm
Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:50 am

Sorry if it’s in this thread but couldn’t find an answer. Can you request upgrade on only 1 segment of a 2 segment flight?
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Xplays
Sorry if it’s in this thread but couldn’t find an answer. Can you request upgrade on only 1 segment of a 2 segment flight?
Yes. There should be separate boxes to check for each flight that you want to request an upgrade on.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes. There should be separate boxes to check for each flight that you want to request an upgrade on.
Thanks so much! Now hoping it will clear!
Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I know that you can request a sticker UG using the boxes as described.

However, AA is also letting me UG segments for my next trip using cash. So here is the question.

If I pay cash for an UG, do I get the increase in EQMs associated with the UG. If I pay $250 to F for a 1000 mile flight, will they give me 2000 EQM for that segment rather than the usual 1000 EQM?
TIA for an answer.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by radonc1
I know that you can request a sticker UG using the boxes as described.

However, AA is also letting me UG segments for my next trip using cash. So here is the question.

If I pay cash for an UG, do I get the increase in EQMs associated with the UG. If I pay $250 to F for a 1000 mile flight, will they give me 2000 EQM for that segment rather than the usual 1000 EQM?
TIA for an answer.
If you are upgrading using the cash offer after booking the flight, you will earn based off the original fare you purchased. In order to get the increased earning you would have to up fare.

Edit: According to the terms and conditions it seems you will earn based off of the new fare:
  • AAdvantage® benefits and mileage accrual will be based on the new ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:53 pm

Question about 500-mile upgrades

I now have Gold status for the first time. Flights under 500 miles receive auto-requested upgrades 24 hours before the flight, correct?

If yes, does this apply for a connecting flight?

For example, my purchased ticket is from Boston to Los Angeles with a connection in New York. On the Boston-New York segment, will the auto-request kick in?

Does it matter that the total trip length is greater than 500 miles?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Jerry Love
I now have Gold status for the first time. Flights under 500 miles receive auto-requested upgrades 24 hours before the flight, correct?

If yes, does this apply for a connecting flight?

For example, my purchased ticket is from Boston to Los Angeles with a connection in New York. On the Boston-New York segment, will the auto-request kick in?

Does it matter that the total trip length is greater than 500 miles?
It'll auto request BOS-NYC, no problem. The only exception to auto-requested 500-mi segments would be if you're on a "through flight" (that is, where both BOS-NYC & NYC-LAX are on the same flight number, which I haven't seen on any route in a long time, see here for more info: One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd))
Old Mar 28, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Is this agent wrong?

Background, I’m an EP and my wife is GLD. The system wanted to take the stickers out of her account when checking in and forced us to buy more stickers when I had enough to cover hers. The check in agent didn’t help and directed us to the kiosk to purchase. Now customer relations are saying it only comes out of the sponsoring account when it’s an award flight. Am I going crazy or is the agent incorrect?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by RTWonSAT

Background, I’m an EP and my wife is GLD. The system wanted to take the stickers out of her account when checking in and forced us to buy more stickers when I had enough to cover hers. The check in agent didn’t help and directed us to the kiosk to purchase. Now customer relations are saying it only comes out of the sponsoring account when it’s an award flight. Am I going crazy or is the agent incorrect?
This one is tricky as it depends on how the upgrade requests were set up, IME. I'm EXP, girlfriend PLT, so I've run into this a bunch. Also, AFAIK, the award vs. paid ticket thing is not correct or at least irrelevant here, so I would disregard that.

But, if you were on the same PNR, and you didn't call AA before to do anything "special" with the request (see below), and the upgrades cleared before arriving at at airport, then the stickers would be pulled from her account (and the agent was correct).

The system is set up such that when both pax have status it will pull stickers from each individual account, as it will also separate you out on the waitlist by status, even when you're on the same PNR.

I found on a few occasions traveling with PLT gf we would get to the airport and I'd be #1 and she'd be say #6, same PNR. This doesn't make sense as if it was a no-status companion they'd be #2 right behind me, but because she has PLT the computer sees that and pushes her back with PLTs. Just the way the system is.

In order to get around this you have to call AA, remove her AA#, re-request the upgrade as a no-status companion, then add back her AA#. The request is then set up so that she inherits my EXP status on the waitlist, and any stickers necessary will be pulled from my account, not hers.

Clear as mud?
la2clt, RedElmo and ranran like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Good stuff, I think that will help many more facing this issue. From a technicality standpoint, the stickers should be coming from my account right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.