Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
When you book a flight, or anytime before flying, you can ask to apply your 500 mile upgrades to a flight, for the CHANCE to be upgraded. To get your name added to the upgrade list (domestic only), you need to use 1 of those 500 mile upgrades for every 500 miles of your flight. 2001 mile flight would cost 5 upgrades. They'll only get used if you get upgraded. Best to use them when a plane has a nice first class section, like MIA-LAX-JFK, but those are also the least likely to get upgraded on. You'll earn more of these upgrades, aka stickers, for every 12.5k EQM you earn, plus those bonus 2 you mentioned if you take a flight. Flights under 500 miles, aka baby flights, probably to a smaller city or from a smaller city to a hub, are free upgrades, don't require any of these stickers. Hope that helps!

Last edited by aztimm; Jul 27, 2021 at 8:09 am Reason: removed off-topic discussion
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Here you go:

Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
And prioritization goes by Elite level then rolling 12 month EQD, so as a new AA flyer you likely will be behind most/all Plats (but ahead of all Golds!).

One of the nice things about the AA scheme is that not all Plats (or Golds) request a sticker upgrade if they are low on stickers or don't place a value on the ugrade.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
500 Mile Upgrade Question

I'm sure this is a basic question-and I should know the answer.

Wife and I are both platinum. We have some joint record travel coming up. I have a ton of 500 certs, she has none. I've requested upgrades wherever possible. Assuming we both were to clear on a segment requiring 3 certs each, could/would they take 6 certs from my account, or would there need to be 3 in her account for her upgrade?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I'm sure this is a basic question-and I should know the answer.

Wife and I are both platinum. We have some joint record travel coming up. I have a ton of 500 certs, she has none. I've requested upgrades wherever possible. Assuming we both were to clear on a segment requiring 3 certs each, could/would they take 6 certs from my account, or would there need to be 3 in her account for her upgrade?
You can use your certs for upgrades for your wife. They will deduct them from your account if and when the upgrade occurs.

I presume that both of you are on the same PNR.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radonc1
You can use your certs for upgrades for your wife. They will deduct them from your account if and when the upgrade occurs.

I presume that both of you are on the same PNR.
When both pax have status that is not how it happens at all; The system will pull stickers from each individual account, if the wife has zero then she'll have to buy more before she can check in.

The only workaround is to call AA before and set it up such that the wife 'leverages' the OP's status as if she didn't have any status of her own. They essentially un-request the upgrades, then remove her AA# number from the reservation, then re-request the upgrades so the system thinks she doesn't have status and will pull all stickers from the OP's account. Then her AA# is added back to the reservation as a last step.

fdog, jcatman, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
When both pax have status that is not how it happens at all; The system will pull stickers from each individual account, if the wife has zero then she'll have to buy more before she can check in.

The only workaround is to call AA before and set it up such that the wife 'leverages' the OP's status as if she didn't have any status of her own. They essentially un-request the upgrades, then remove her AA# number from the reservation, then re-request the upgrades so the system thinks she doesn't have status and will pull all stickers from the OP's account. Then her AA# is added back to the reservation as a last step.

This is what I was concerned about. I was confused reading about upgrading people on your PNR-but not sure since we were both eligible.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Anyone had their stickers disappear recently. I had 11 about 2 hours ago and now none and they aren’t showing in my redeemed folder either. I have an upgrade request in for a flight tonight that all 11 would cover but my seats are still economy and I’ve never had them taken before my upgrade clears.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Sticker use by non-elite accompanying elite

Asking for a friend, been a long time since I've had to deal with this.

Friend is PLT and has 8 stickers, friend's spouse is non-status and has 11 stickers. They are on the same PNR which requires 16 stickers (8 each) to upgrade all segments. Question: Can non-status spouse's stickers be used in this case?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Last I knew, no. If you have no status, you can't apply your stickers - they need to come out of the account of the status holder.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn

Friend is PLT and has 8 stickers, friend's spouse is non-status and has 11 stickers. They are on the same PNR which requires 16 stickers (8 each) to upgrade all segments. Question: Can non-status spouse's stickers be used in this case?
Unfortunately since the companion has no status (and thus is leveraging the friend's PLT status) all stickers will have to be pulled from the PLT's account.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMN57
Last I knew, no. If you have no status, you can't apply your stickers - they need to come out of the account of the status holder.
Unfortunately since the companion has no status (and thus is leveraging the friend's PLT status) all stickers will have to be pulled from the PLT's account.
Thanks. I figured, but I was hoping for a different answer from the experts!

Since they are good friends (and I'm such a nice guy), I'm going to use my otherwise unusable BusinessExtra points to "buy" gold status for the friend's spouse so he can use his otherwise unusable stickers.
onanisland likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Thanks. I figured, but I was hoping for a different answer from the experts!

Since they are good friends (and I'm such a nice guy), I'm going to use my otherwise unusable BusinessExtra points to "buy" gold status for the friend's spouse so he can use his otherwise unusable stickers.
very generous!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
very generous!
I've probably had a few thousand points expire unused over the last few years, so the cost to me was just on paper.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting back to this: I was able to wangle GLD status for the non-status companion by using my BusinessExtra points that were going to expire unused. So now we have a PLT with 5 stickers (3 got used) and a GLD with 11 stickers on the same PNR. I assume mixing and matching stickers is still permitted at the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.