Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Thanks! What happens if she does clear the upgrade before we get to the airport, but my account doesn't have any 500 certificates? Would she just get downgraded again? Because these are such short flights (about an hour each) not really sure its worth $40 per segment. And if we uncheck the request upgrade thing on the reservation where it says (1 passenger 500 mile cert for each segment) will that cause me to not get upgraded as well?
And if we both get upgraded but there are no certs in my account will we both be downgraded?

Also, does AA split up reservations if the upgrades don't clear prior to check in? UA does this, so not sure about AA.
I'm very new to platinum status as I just qualified for the first time. My understanding is that you can request upgrades without the 500 mile stickers being purchased but if the upgrades do clear you need to purchase them before you can check into the flight. I would imagine that if you checked in without purchasing the stickers you would loose the upgrade. I'm not sure how they work after you arrive at the airport and are placed on the airport waiting list.

If you are Platinum Pro. You don't need to worry about 500 mile upgrades in terms of upgrades for you.

AA will split the reservation, doing this should give you a better chance of being upgraded if there is only one seat left. The downside is that your companion will no lon ger receive any of the elite benefits they enjoyed because of you. This includes free checked baggage, free MCE seats etc.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Thanks! What happens if she does clear the upgrade before we get to the airport, but my account doesn't have any 500 certificates? Would she just get downgraded again? Because these are such short flights (about an hour each) not really sure its worth $40 per segment. And if we uncheck the request upgrade thing on the reservation where it says (1 passenger 500 mile cert for each segment) will that cause me to not get upgraded as well?
And if we both get upgraded but there are no certs in my account will we both be downgraded?

Also, does AA split up reservations if the upgrades don't clear prior to check in? UA does this, so not sure about AA.
1. If you clear before check in, you'll have to buy a cert to check in.

2. If you want to decline, then just tell the check in agent. I don't think there's an option to do so online or on the app.

3. If you uncheck the box now, then neither of you will be upgraded.

4. If you want to keep your freebie upgrade without your companion's chance of $40 upgrade, then call AA to split the reservation.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
2. If you want to decline, then just tell the check in agent. I don't think there's an option to do so online or on the app.
On the app, you can abandon an unconfirmed upgrade in order to check-in. Once confirmed, you probably need to call first and get a seat assignment back in coach if you've changed your mind.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:48 am

Upgrading domestic coach to Business for Exec Plats

For an Exec Plat trying to get a complimentary upgrade from Y to J on an AA transcon, is it better to check-in on line as soon as OLCI opens or it it better to head to the airport early and complete the check-in process at the airport?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I don’t believe it matter either way
upgrades have levels starting with dollar spend first
then who knows
so you be be a EXP with let’s say $15k and another EXP could be $20k
guess who gets it first
just make when you get to the airport that you in fact on the upgrade list
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by puchong
For an Exec Plat trying to get a complimentary upgrade from Y to J on an AA transcon,
Good luck.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To confirm, time (or place) of check-in has no bearing on upgrade priority.
It's elite status, then rolling 12-month EQDs, then fare class, then date/time of original upgrade request.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ades.jsp#order
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
And once you check in, you can see the upgrade list within the app at four hours before departure to confirm you were added and where you stand.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:02 am

No special technique for EXPs, you just check in. After that you look at the upgrade list and see that you are number 18 of 47, as I am from PHX to CLT on the A330 flight this morning.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Check
No special technique for EXPs, you just check in. After that you look at the upgrade list and see that you are number 18 of 47, as I am from PHX to CLT on the A330 flight this morning.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:36 pm

When applying an EVIP upgrade (for LAX/HKG), are your chances better if the underlying fare is a published Y fare or a bulk fare? Or does it not matter?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by puchong
When applying an EVIP upgrade (for LAX/HKG), are your chances better if the underlying fare is a published Y fare or a bulk fare? Or does it not matter?
functionally irrelevant

12 month rolling EQDs comes first -- only if there's a tie (pretty unlikely, except at bottom of the list where folks might have zero EQDs) does AA use fare codes as a tiebreaker
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:46 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Ok one last clarification.

I (platInum pro) am Flying IAH-DFW-AMA tomorrow with a non status companion on same res. We were both upgraded DFW-AMA, so I bought 1 500 sticker. My account balance is now 1 sticker.
I doubt that either of us will get upgraded on IAH-DFW since F is full already, but when I went to check in on the app this morning, it wouldn’t let me check in without making me buy another 500 sticker.
I was able to get around that by checking in on a computer, where it just gave me a warning that “1 passenger doesn’t have enough 500 stickers for the upgrade required, please contact an airport agent to be added to upgrade list” or something similar.

So since we were already upgraded DFW-AMA (which is under 500 miles), and I have 1 sticker in my account, I’m assuming that that upgrade is confirmed and will be all fine, and we just won’t be added to the list for IAH-DFW?

And I still see that the 1 sticker is still in my account and hasn’t been deducted yet, when will they do that?

sorry for all the questions, these stickers are really confusing lol, have to say I much prefer United’s complimentary companion upgrades.

Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Upgrade request question

I'm a lowly GOLD, so it isn't as if my upgrades actually clear, but I still try . Typically after I purchase the ticket via our corporate travel agent, I'll log into AA.com and view my trip, scroll down to the "upgrade your trip" section and check the box.

I just booked a trip for my family (me + 2) for June. The booking was on AA.com directly over the weekend and it is fully ticketed, but there is no "upgrade your trip" section available for this particular record. Any ideas what would cause that? I initially feared that I bought a basic economy ticket, but I think those are fare class B. Our tickets booked into G on the outbound and V on the return. I was able to select seats as normal. Are those fare classes not available to upgrade? Or is there something else going on?

Worst case, I'll check with AA, but figured I asked here

thanks

tom
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
Upgrade request question

I'm a lowly GOLD, so it isn't as if my upgrades actually clear, but I still try . Typically after I purchase the ticket via our corporate travel agent, I'll log into AA.com and view my trip, scroll down to the "upgrade your trip" section and check the box.

I just booked a trip for my family (me + 2) for June. The booking was on AA.com directly over the weekend and it is fully ticketed, but there is no "upgrade your trip" section available for this particular record. Any ideas what would cause that? I initially feared that I bought a basic economy ticket, but I think those are fare class B. Our tickets booked into G on the outbound and V on the return. I was able to select seats as normal. Are those fare classes not available to upgrade? Or is there something else going on?

Worst case, I'll check with AA, but figured I asked here

thanks

tom
Are you on a regional jet with no first class or flying outside of North America ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.