Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
My niece is AA Gold and booked on a flight she won't be taking tomorrow as she changed to a later departure date by buying a cheap one way and is just going to let the ticket for tomorrow go unused (change fee plus fare difference was much higher than a one way).

She didn't cancel her sticker upgrade request for the flight she won't be taking and her sticker upgrade just cleared. She has stickers in her account and doesn't want to lose them on a flight she's not taking.

What's the best procedure here? Cancel the ticket? Ignore and do nothing? Something else?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
No the stickers won’t come out if she doesn’t fly.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
What happened to the line on the AA.com your account page that told you the number of miles you needed to earn another slug of 500 mile upgrades? The new account pages are such a jumble of styles and typefaces and links to other pages that I may be easily missing it.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Stripe
What happened to the line on the AA.com your account page that told you the number of miles you needed to earn another slug of 500 mile upgrades? The new account pages are such a jumble of styles and typefaces and links to other pages that I may be easily missing it.
Never mind. I see the answer a few posts back. Obviously I'm not the only one defeated by a horrible design.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Looks like the AA website has been changed so that you can no longer see how many more miles you need to fly to get 4 E-Upgrades.

Helpful, not.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Looks like the AA website has been changed so that you can no longer see how many more miles you need to fly to get 4 E-Upgrades.

Helpful, not.
You can still see this - go to https://www.aa.com/aadvantage-program/profile/wallet and it shows the "EQMs Needed" under the "500 mile upgrades" tile.
ibrandsguest and danorum like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Can you use 500 mile upgrades on award tickets? I'm only Platinum, and for my upcoming reward flight I don't see a request an upgrade button.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by MathMusic
Can you use 500 mile upgrades on award tickets? I'm only Platinum, and for my upcoming reward flight I don't see a request an upgrade button.
No. IIRC only EXP/CK can upgrade domestic award tixs.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Another question, I had a sticker upgrade confirmed for this mornings flight DCA to BNA and the flight was cancelled. I was rebooked directly in first (without requesting the upgrade) on another flight PHL to BNA instead. Should I expect the stickers to still be pulled or will the IROPS work in my favor?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
This may be a dumb question, but I just became Platinum Pro for the first time. Do I still have the ability to earn 500 mile upgrade stickers? My husband will only hit Platinum this year, and I want to be able to upgrade him when we fly together. In the American App Wallet section, the countdown of 'miles needed for 500 mile upgrade' section is now gone in my app.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
This may be a dumb question, but I just became Platinum Pro for the first time. Do I still have the ability to earn 500 mile upgrade stickers? My husband will only hit Platinum this year, and I want to be able to upgrade him when we fly together. In the American App Wallet section, the countdown of 'miles needed for 500 mile upgrade' section is now gone in my app.

Unfortunately, no.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007

Nope. You get complimentary upgrades and don't accrue any more 500's.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Nope. You get complimentary upgrades and don't accrue any more 500's.
Originally Posted by aacar
Unfortunately, no.
thanks y'all.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by United747
You'll clear. It will probably not let you check in though. Then at check-in, you can tell them what account the stickers should come from.
I've been told two different things on this front, I was just told by the phone agent that you can designate whose account the stickers are pulled from by telling the gate agent. I've been told by a gate agent that it's not possible because it's locked to who requested the upgrade. This is critical for me as my wife has 70+ stickers and I have less than 10 now. Does status matter, meaning clearing upgrades with the higher status and pulling from the lower status account once you get to the gate? As of right now we're both PLT but she'll drop to Gold next year.

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jmail1
I've been told two different things on this front, I was just told by the phone agent that you can designate whose account the stickers are pulled from by telling the gate agent. I've been told by a gate agent that it's not possible because it's locked to who requested the upgrade. This is critical for me as my wife has 70+ stickers and I have less than 10 now. Does status matter, meaning clearing upgrades with the higher status and pulling from the lower status account once you get to the gate? As of right now we're both PLT but she'll drop to Gold next year.

Thanks
I've been told several times that for 2 people with status traveling together, in order for the lower status companion to 'piggyback' off the higher status companion for upgrade waitlist purposes, the stickers must come from the higher status person's account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.