Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:45 pm
jmw

Sorry to bring up a slightly old thread.

AA first class domestic award ticket with US Airways operating all three segments. Passenger has no status. Award ticket booked after 4/23/14.

What is the baggage policy post April 23, 2014 for domestic first class?

3 bags (70lbs, 70lbs, 50lbs) or 3 bags (50 lbs, 50 lbs, 50lbs). US Airways phone agent seemed unsure on this subject, so I'm asking here. From the way I read the US Airways baggage policy pages, it looks like 50,50,50 post 4/23 and 70,70,50 pre 4/23.

Anyone know for sure? This is one of those rare cases where we are going to use every available pound and space in the bags including getting away with as much as possible with the carryon.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:20 pm

AA booking with Avios on BA.com - baggage restrictions?

Hello!

I don't know if I'm being stupid, but I'm trying to book a flight from Montreal to JFK for later this year with Avios.

Booking on BA.com, I get the following information about hand baggage:

Free checked baggage per person

Hand baggage only fare. No checked baggage allowance.

Maximum bag size: 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5in x 29.5in x 16in)
Baggage essentials
Baggage allowances and charges
Different checked baggage charges and restrictions may apply on other airlines. Please see the operating airline's website for information.

Envoy Air As American Eagle On Behalf Of American Airlines

It kind of contradicts itself doesn't it? Should I take it that I will have to pay for a checked bag? Anyone know the cost of this?!

Thanks in advance ^
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Unless you have some kind of oneworld status, expect to have to pay. Charge is $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second. Arm and leg for more than two bags.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
One of the unpublished benefits of booking AA metal with Avios is that you priority access that gives you a free bag and pre-boarding.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by UA Fan
One of the unpublished benefits of booking AA metal with Avios is that you priority access that gives you a free bag and pre-boarding.
Recent reports are that BA has changed the wording on Avios redemptions to show as hand baggage only fares, closing the loophole that meant Avios bookings got free bags. The OP should plan that they will be charged bad be happy if they aren't.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:42 am

Thanks for the responses.

I'll go ahead and assume that I will have to pay the $25 on the day (and if I don't then win win!)

It's my first time using Avios to book on AA, and my first time flying American Eagle for that matter, so looking forward to it.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Do you have any Citi Advantage Credit Card (Plat)?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread's title updated to clarify its contents.

~Moderator
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
LHR: Baggage recheck and lounge access Questions

Just booked flights from MSP to LUX using part FF miles (AAdvantage) and part paid ticket. Icky itinerary but what are you going to do. :-)
A combination of US F, BA J frequent flyer to LHR and BA Y paid ticket to LUX.

The Question:
By AA policy, we can no longer check bags through to LUX. We'll have to claim and recheck in LHR. [since these are separate tickets]
Any way around this that that anyone can think of?
Second, We'd like to take advantage of the LHR lounge but if we have to exit security to get our baggage and recheck, will we be able to reenter to use the lounge? Currently scheduled for about a 4 hour layover at LHR

Thanks,
AJ
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by aj411
Just booked flights from MSP to LUX using part FF miles (AAdvantage) and part paid ticket. Icky itinerary but what are you going to do. :-)

The Question:
By AA policy, we can no longer check bags through to LUX. We'll have to claim and recheck in LHR. [since these are separate tickets]
Can you post/link to the policy on this? Since all of your flights are on OW - event though separate tickets - there should be no problem checking the bags all the way through

Second, We'd like to take advantage of the LHR lounge but if we have to exit security to get our baggage and recheck, will we be able to reenter to use the lounge?
Yes
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The Question:
Second, We'd like to take advantage of the LHR lounge but if we have to exit security to get our baggage and recheck, will we be able to reenter to use the lounge? Currently scheduled for about a 4 hour layover at LHR

Thanks,
AJ
Is the flight to LUX operated by a Oneworld carrier? If so, AA allows the bag to be tagged across separate tickets as long as all flights are operated by Oneworld carriers. [I thought the same is currently true for US too, so would be surprised if it is not the same.] If the flight to LUX is not Oneworld carrier operated (even if a BA coded flight on a BA-issued ticket), then the chances of being told you are out of luck will jump up. It sounds like you should be ok if the flight to LUX is the BA LHR-LUX flight.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:11 am

The elite line said it would have to be rechecked and I found this online (US site):
"As long as you booked your flights together in one itinerary, we'll check your bags through to your destination. We'll also check your bags through on all of your US Airways flights.

If you have 2 or more tickets that you booked separately, you'll need to pick up your bag and re-check it with the next airline. "

The flight LHR > LUX is BA. As far as I can tell, it is actually BA and not codeshare

Then again, reality often doesn't match what they say which is why I asked :-)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If so, AA allows the bag to be tagged across separate tickets as long as all flights are operated by Oneworld carriers. [I thought the same is currently true for US too, so would be surprised if it is not the same.]
I think the key is that OP is flying US/BA. This would absolutely not be a problem flying AA/BA, bags would be checked all the way to LUX.

If US doesn't interline separate tickets, then indeed the OP will need to pick up the bags at LHR and recheck them.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:10 pm

I'll keep an eye out for an AA alternative but plan for worst case if we have to recheck.

It is all OneWorld so maybe between now and our flights, things will change. [or should I say they will change but hopefully for the better ]

AJ
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: 1K, Diamond
The LHR-LUX flight is indeed BA. I've flew it all the time while living in LUX. Never had an issue checking baggage through-- although had many issues of delayed baggage arriving on the afternoon flight or next day.

The LUX flights depart/arrive at Terminal 1. If you're connecting to the morning flight, you'll want to proceed directly to the security checkpoint, because it can be quite slow with the El Al connecting passengers going through at the same time. There is no Fast Track at the transfer security checkpoint (at least up til Feb 2014). The BA international lounge is all the way across the terminal; you'll want to give up getting to it, but you'll finally make it after passing through several corridors. Showers do the job but are nothing special. Lounge is decent and the bar area was renovated at the start of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.