Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
If any flight on your segment has a first class segment then you get that baggage allowance at checkin.

This has happened to me personally many times where my 2nd flight might've cleared an upgrade but my first one didn't. still got to check 3 bags no questions asked.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Hello there,

Just to let you know I am back from my trip, and I hadn't to pay anything. My baggage allowance was 1 free checked bag for the entire trip, including the US leg SEA-PHX.

I didn't even have to show an agent this thread, computer already knew everything!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Porcepic
Hello there,

Just to let you know I am back from my trip, and I hadn't to pay anything. My baggage allowance was 1 free checked bag for the entire trip, including the US leg SEA-PHX.

I didn't even have to show an agent this thread, computer already knew everything!
Dear Porcepic,
You did not tell us about any BAEC/OneWorld elite status you might have. Status has a major effect on baggage allowances.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Dear Porcepic,
You did not tell us about any BAEC/OneWorld elite status you might have. Status has a major effect on baggage allowances.
I am just a poor Blue BAEC member. Definitely not what you can call an "elite status".
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Hello there,

^ Glad it worked smoothly.

I have no particular status.
Dear Porcepic,
You did not tell us about any BAEC/OneWorld elite status you might have.
Status has a major effect on baggage allowances.
Technically, it doesn't. Status allows exceptions to the ticketed baggage allowances. Because those are exceptions, they do not (under the law) have to apply to the entire itinerary, as I understand it. That is, if BA gives a status-based exception to the ticketed baggage allowance on the first leg, AA is not required to give the same exception on the second leg. This is more relevant for inter-alliance tickets: if you have a BA leg followed by a UA leg on the same ticket, the ticketed allowance from BA would apply to the UA leg, but the status-based exception on BA would not apply on UA since UA doesn't care about your BA status.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:23 am

Just a datapoint re: Admirals Club access. I was denied access on the BOS-JFK segment (traveling in Y), despite having a confirmed 3-cabin F seat JFK-SFO.

I booked this using AS miles. Might it have been due to this?

Last edited by dmlee18; Mar 7, 2015 at 7:52 am
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
If any flight on your segment has a first class segment then you get that baggage allowance at checkin.

This has happened to me personally many times where my 2nd flight might've cleared an upgrade but my first one didn't. still got to check 3 bags no questions asked.
Thanks - that's good to know. I had always assumed that in the case where you only were confirmed on the second leg that you would not get the extra baggage at check in.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, QF, BA
Checked baggage Award J -> Discount Y

Hi,

Just a question with 2 PNRs. Award ticket all in J on OW carrier, coming into US then connecting to a domestic AA flight (no award seats - so rev ticket in Y). Can the agents check it through for baggage re-drop? Or would it need to be completely re-checked with fees?

J passengers are without OW status.

Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Check the baggage policies of that unidentified OW carrier on the first segment.

AA can/will check bags across oneworld tickets.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
The issue is IB is fast dumping routes over to its Vueling side. If you book with a IB 5xxx number, it is labeled as Iberia Express operated by Vueling. It appears people here are saying though that because Vueling is not lost as an oneworld affiliate, no miles.

Rasheed
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:25 pm

Baggage Allowances for Booking Multiple Destinations vs Round Trip

I'm planning to book IAH-PVG round trip in late May. The cheapest option is IAH-ORD-NRT-PVG-LAX-IAH, which aa.com fails to show in the round trip option. However, by playing around with multiple destinations in google flights, I was able to redirect to that option on aa.com, albeit as

Flight 1: IAH-ORD
Flight 2: ORD-NRT-PVG
Flight 3: PVG-LAX-IAH

The connection time between IAH-ORD and ORD-NRT is only 3 hours. Therefore, will AA be able to check baggage through PVG and give the 2 baggage allowance for international flights, or will I be stuck with paid 1st bag in the case of domestic flights?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by theasianguy
I'm planning to book IAH-PVG round trip in late May. The cheapest option is IAH-ORD-NRT-PVG-LAX-IAH, which aa.com fails to show in the round trip option. However, by playing around with multiple destinations in google flights, I was able to redirect to that option on aa.com, albeit as

Flight 1: IAH-ORD
Flight 2: ORD-NRT-PVG
Flight 3: PVG-LAX-IAH

The connection time between IAH-ORD and ORD-NRT is only 3 hours. Therefore, will AA be able to check baggage through PVG and give the 2 baggage allowance for international flights, or will I be stuck with paid 1st bag in the case of domestic flights?
What do you mean by "Flight 1", "Flight 2", "Flight 3"? If you mean (as I think you do) that these are the components of your multi destination search, and you still see everything in a single summary (I.e. Single reservation) then you will get the international allowance no matter how you broke it down in your search.

Irrespective, AA can tag the bags through when connecting to AA/oneWorld flights.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: AA
Cayman Airways (KX) check baggage through via AA?

Hi. I have a flight on Cayman Airways KX102, CYB-GCM-MIA, and a second flight on AA MIA-STL. They were booked via the respective carriers' websites.

I wasn't able to get AA.com to show Cayman Airways flights. Perhaps I misunderstood this site listing KX as an interline carrier with AA. So, they are on separate tickets.

In short, my question is, once I clear immigration and customs in MIA, can I drop bags with AA as I would if making an AA-AA connection? Or do I have to go back through ticketing and drop them there?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
When you get to MIA you will collect your bags and then go through Customs and Immigration. After you pass thru CI, you will need to check in with American and drop your bags with them. There are AA counters to the left once you leave the CI area.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
When you get to MIA you will collect your bags and then go through Customs and Immigration. After you pass thru CI, you will need to check in with American and drop your bags with them. There are AA counters to the left once you leave the CI area.
Great. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.