Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OsoJoe
A couple of years ago, I had an FCO-CDG-DFW flight with the FCO-CDG segment on Alitalia. I used Expedia for the booking. I don't remember who issued the ticket but I'm sure it was either AA or BA. My wife and I also only had 1 bag each so I wasn't worried about the baggage allowance.
Thanks Joe. I'd rather book thru AA if possible, so that if things go pear-shaped at any point before travel I can deal with EXP desk instead of a 3rd party.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Thank you for your answers!

I've finally bought my ticket (with different dates and from ORY instead of TLS though, but no matter), but unfortunately nothing about baggage policy in the e-mail I have received (maybe because the "e-ticket confirmation" I have received is not really the e-ticket ?).

It has been now a few hours since I booked the ticket, I tried to look for information on bags.amadeus.com and checkmytrip.com and :
  • AA or US record locators are not recognized yet ;
  • BA record locator is recognized… it agrees on the fact I have 1 free bag but the itinerary does not show the SEA-PHX leg on US (though all my trip is on 1 ticket for AA).

Wait and see…
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is simple

Since this is a journey where the destination is within the USA

If you book on BA flight numbers from TLS-SEA, BA's allowance from TLS-SEA applies to the whole journey
If you book on AA flight numbers from TLS-SEA, AA's allowance from TLS-SEA applies to the whole journey

As it happens, both AA and BA have the same baggage allowance which is 1 piece of max 23 Kg
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Porcepic

I've finally bought my ticket (with different dates and from ORY instead of TLS though, but no matter), but unfortunately nothing about baggage policy in the e-mail I have received (maybe because the "e-ticket confirmation" I have received is not really the e-ticket ?).

It has been now a few hours since I booked the ticket, I tried to look for information on bags.amadeus.com and checkmytrip.com and :
  • AA or US record locators are not recognized yet ;
  • BA record locator is recognized… it agrees on the fact I have 1 free bag but the itinerary does not show the SEA-PHX leg on US (though all my trip is on 1 ticket for AA).

Wait and see…
Regardless whether US BA or AA issues your ticket, one thing FOR SURE is that Day A and Day C, under most -if not all - ticketing circumstances, you will be allowed one free bag. Don't sweat it.

As far as Day B, while the info from ashill seems appropriate, I would not be surprised that the Ticket Agents (or the system) will think you are on a domestic itinerary and may try to charge you for the bag. I would print the link ashill provided (http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/399.87) and take it to the airport on Day B, just in case.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From a baggage perspective, the entire trip would be under the TLS-PHX bag rules of AA, which are "01P" (1 piece) and EACH PIECE UP TO 50 POUNDS/23 KILOGRAMS AND UP TO 62 LINEAR INCHES/158 LINEAR CENTIMETERS

The SEA-PHX segment doesn't count per U.S. policy and it's subsumed by the TLS-PHX rule.

It is a sorry state of affairs when AA itself can't answer the simple question, nor is the baggage allowance displayed along with the price when you buy the ticket.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by carlosdca
As far as Day B, while the info from ashill seems appropriate, I would not be surprised that the Ticket Agents (or the system) will think you are on a domestic itinerary and may try to charge you for the bag. I would print the link ashill provided (http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/399.87) and take it to the airport on Day B, just in case.
It will be in the ticket, as I stated. AA agents are much more likely to believe that what's printed on an AA ticket applies than a printout of the law. I just provided the link to the law to show that the rule must apply the same rule on the domestic segment as on the international segment on the same ticket. Though I haven't been in this particular circumstance (checking in with AA without status for a domestic segment on an international ticket), I'd expect that the computers will have the correct baggage allowance automatically in this case. But I'd have a copy of the eticket receipt with the stated baggage allowance to be sure.

And what hillrider said.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:34 am

Some news. I think best thing to do is laughing…

• When browsing my booking on BA website using BA PNR given by AA, I noticed that BA displays for my bag allowance "0 bag". I contacted them via Twitter and they replied me it was indeed a problem, they made a change and now BA's website displays "1 bag" (notice that for BA PNR, my itinerary is ORY-SEA, PHX-ORY, it does not know the SEA-PHX leg on day B).
  • Following is the reply of AA staff on Twitter in response to the provided law article:
    Since you have a break in your flights between SEA and PHX you will be required to pay the USAirways baggage charges. It (1/3)

has to be a continuous flight for the bag charges for the next carrier not to apply. It's not who markets the flight (2/3)
    (Yes, they did not even considere useful posting the end of their message.)

Looks like I should prepare 25$… and blame OW communication (although they are way cheaper, even with the 25$).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You do have a gift for chasing your tail and concentrating on irrelevant information.

Under U.S. Department of Transportation rules the marketing carrier of the first segment matters for baggage allowances to/from a U.S. destination. Don't expect BA.com to display your AA luggage allowance properly, but the check in system should handle it. Do expect the AA ticket receipt to show the correct allowance. Do expect US to recognize the entirety of your ticket and provide the correct allowance: it's programmed into the computer - they don't want to waste agents' time with this stuff.

Yes, it's regrettable that the Twitter team gave you incorrect information.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Porcepic

Are you sure? My international etickets (emails with the subject "E-Ticket Confirmation-XXXXX 01JAN") have the following heading right after the "Receipt" section: "Baggage information", followed by fine print which describes the baggage allowance. It is fine print, but it's there.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by ashill
Are you sure? My international etickets (emails with the subject "E-Ticket Confirmation-XXXXX 01JAN") have the following heading right after the "Receipt" section: "Baggage information", followed by fine print which describes the baggage allowance. It is fine print, but it's there.
Indeed, the issue was the receipt I received was in French and apparently email format is a bit different…

I have tried to check my trip on the american version of AA's website and the inferface was different. For the baggage information, the website shows for the checked baggage section:

We are experiencing technical difficulties and are unable to display checked baggage pricing for your itinerary at this time.
Please see our Baggage Information page for detailed allowance information.
Though there is an information mark next to the "checked baggage" stating:

Based on your travel, one airline is designated as the Most Significant Carrier, and that airline's baggage allowances and charges apply to your entire journey.
And when checking my receipt, in English there is indeed a Baggage section stating a simple :
To enhance security, FAA requirements mandate that customers are allowed one carry-on bag plus one personal item onboard. To learn more about current carry-on baggage allowances including checked bag policies and applicable charges, please visit www.aa.com/baggageinfo.
Thank you for your all answers. In a nutshell, law is on my side, computers will decide whether or not I will pay… and the sure thing is that I will come back after my trip to tell you what happened.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:53 pm

Oversized baggage

Hi,
I recently had an experience at the AA check in desk at Orlando(MCO) regarding a field hockey bag containing goalie equipment. My understanding is that the field hockey equipment bag my be checked in lieu of my baggage allowance. It would not incur an oversize fee if the dimensions were under 62 inches. This bag was 42"L x 20"W x 19"H and only weighed 39lbs. the Woman at the checkout actually got a tape measure out and measured it and assured me it was oversize. I refused to pay showing her the website on my phone explaining the rules for this sports equipment. The supervisor then said to me prove you do not have your regular clothes in the hockey bag. I stuck to my guns telling them to open it up and search it in front of everybody. They backed down a little at that and said they would waive the fee for oversized baggage this time.
Did I overreact? Was I wrong were they right? I have never had problems like this before flying AA with this bag.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated before I fire an email to customer service.

Thanks
Steve
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by steve031372
My understanding is that the field hockey equipment bag my be checked in lieu of my baggage allowance. It would not incur an oversize fee if the dimensions were under 62 inches. This bag was 42"L x 20"W x 19"H and only weighed 39lbs.
Perhaps I'm missing a point here, but if those dimensions are accurate, your bag was over 62 inches as 42+20+19 = 81?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Your bag is well over 62 inches. Maybe time to send an apology?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
It was definitely oversized; and their backing down as most likely due to them betting that you had regular clothes in the bag (which you didn't), not that it was not oversized.

As far as I can tell, only snowboards/skis have a higher dimensional exemption (126 linear inches).
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Seems there are a good number of sports items that can be 126 inches.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...ce.jsp#!sports

"Hockey" not one of them, but you can pack the "sticks" separately to get it under the 62. One bag with pads and a second with just sticks counts as one bag...each need to be under the 62 limit

Hockey / Lacrosse
Allowance/Requirements

Hockey/lacrosse sticks and one equipment bag
Cost

Two pieces - Equipment bag plus Hockey/Lacrosse stick(s) are charged the 1st or 2nd bag rate as applicable. When in excess, each item will be subject to the baggage charge for a single piece.
Maximum Weight and Size

Equipment bag up to 50 lbs. and 62 inches plus Hockey/lacrosse stick(s)
Additional Information

For purposes of excess baggage, two pieces count as one item

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.