Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Exec_Plat
Wikipost - signed in members can minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons and edit the post.

FWAAA post 382: In the 10-K filed on February 20, 2013, AA confirmed that it now has ordered a total of 20 77W; two delivered in 2012, eight more in 2013, six more in 2014 and two each in 2015 and 2016 for a total of 20:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....5fUEFHRSZleHA9

16 total 77Ws by the end of next year plus at least four more after that.

Scheduling information: AA 777-300ER / 77W Schedule, Routes (consolidated)

777 family range (Boeing)

Both of AA's 777s are -ER (Extended Range) models, the common 777-223ER and new 777-323ER. Not much range difference, but significant capacity difference. No 200-LRs (Long Range, AKA "Worldliner",) in the future at this time.

777-300ER:

N717AN 7LA
N718AN 7LB
N719AN 7LC
N720AN 7LD
N721AN 7LE
N722AN 7LF
N723AN 7LG
N724AN 7LH
N725AN 7LJ
N726AN 7LK
N727AN 7LL

Updated from planespotters.net:

N728AN 7LM
N729AN 7LN
N730AN 7LP
N731AN 7LR
N732AN 7LS
N733AR 7LT

Based on this data there are 17 77Ws in service Oct 2015.
Print Wikipost

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by MAH4546
At the JAL/AMR press conference earlier this week, the topic of Cathay joining the ATI was brought up, and it sounds like AA and JL are pushing for it. But, again, it needs U.S.-Hong Kong open skies.
I read that as well but as you said, getting Open Skies isn't going to be easy or quick. While Hong Kong has its own set of bilaterals independent of mainland China, I wouldn't be surprised if China has some kind of influence. That being said, I don't see any reason why there couldn't be Open Skies between Hong Kong and USofA.

Originally Posted by N830MH
I think it is right choices for AA will likely to flying nonstop LAX/DFW-SYD. Becuase the 777-300ER has increased the weight restrictions. Because 77W does not have payload restricted over further south. I think 77W will have to stop in BNE to get refuel the plane and ongoing continued the flight to SYD. It could be work out very well and it will have to do easily way to flying one-stop in BNE instead of going to flying nonstop from DFW-SYD. That will be problems the headwinds gusts over TPAC flight.
I think AA would wind up waiting for the B789 for flights to "Down Under"...as mentioned below, if AA got the B77W, it would probably used for increase of capacity rather than starting new routes..

Originally Posted by bzcat
IF (and that's a big if) AA does order 77W, I'm sure it will first go to additional capacity on their most high demand routes. I'm thinking JFL-LHR, LAX-LHR, ORD-LHR, DFW-LHR, and maybe LAX-NRT or US-Brazil/Argentina.

The spare 77E from substitute 77W on those LHR routes can then rotate to the highest demand 763 routes like JFK-FCO, ORD-FCO, and CDG.

And the spare 763 from substitute 77E on those European routes can be refurbished for 3-class LAX-JFK service.

And that means the 762 can finally be retired when they are up for the next D-check.
I think you are spot one with your assessment...^
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
I for one just don't see AA getting the new aircraft. Several things would point against. The engine issue, that AA's strategy has clearly been to operate smaller, not larger aircraft, reduce the over all complexity of the fleet etc.

But perhaps the most important is that i would expect this would fall under the new fleet type for AA's labor agreements. They have not been able to reach agreement with labor on any issue in recent memory so this alone could spell the end of and order for the aircraft.

If AA were to order these aircraft as rumored, it would represent a pretty significant shift in strategy on several fronts. I think this could be a great thing, just not yet convinced it's true.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:08 pm

Not to add the to rampant speculation already in place, but I heard it was AE, not AA, that actually ordered the 20 new 777. They're hoping to put them on the JFK-BOS and LGA-BOS routes, with an occasional NYC-YYZ equipment sub to make up for that lost LAN flight.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
More to the point, there are any number of carrier's worldwide that could have placed an order for 20 777W. Seems more wishful thinking it's AA.

Clearly Boeing has some new pipeline coming if they are gonna commit to to the ramp up in production..is AA adding to that i'm skeptical.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:25 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
At the JAL/AMR press conference earlier this week, the topic of Cathay joining the ATI was brought up, and it sounds like AA and JL are pushing for it. But, again, it needs U.S.-Hong Kong open skies.
I believe it was JL/CX JBV not JL/CX/AA JBV that's being brought up by JAL President.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
since they got rid of the 767 ORD-SFO, maybe they should replace one of these horrible 737 with a 777...I'd appreciate it! UA has a 777 flying the route...of course it's configured as a cattle car!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by JALPak
I believe it was JL/CX JBV not JL/CX/AA JBV that's being brought up by JAL President.
JAL (or any airline) cannot have two separate trans-Pacific JBVs. Any JL/CX JBV has to include AA, or it can't happen at all.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
since they got rid of the 767 ORD-SFO, maybe they should replace one of these horrible 737 with a 777...I'd appreciate it! UA has a 777 flying the route...of course it's configured as a cattle car!
IMHO, Econ+ isn't quite "cattle car", as it definitely beats AA econ.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by clanum
LAX-SYD on AA won't happen, though I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Really? I would postulate it as most likely, maybe second to DFW/HKG
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Really? I would postulate it as most likely, maybe second to DFW/HKG
For now AA seems more interested in having their partners and code share's fly International Pacific (QF and JL and CX and even MU)except for the AA 6X Japan and 3X China.
Also AA still has some pilot contract issues (hours) as well as lack of long range planes today (777-200LR, 777-300ER, 747-400). So AA is limited to ~7500 miles NON Stop and can be weight restricted (or xtra stop) if unfavorable winds (same issues the AA 757 have from Europe to the U.S.).

Will have to see what AA does 3-5 years from now if they ever get longer range planes as the 787-9 or something else.

Last edited by zman; Jan 16, 2011 at 12:38 pm
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:21 pm

There is, though, value in having the brand name fly to Australia. And with a JBA with Qantas, the risk is significantly reduces as are the costs, because there is no need to open a station in Sydney, Qantas handles everything. I honestly do think that seeing AA fly LAX-SYD in 4-6 years is a very realistic possibility as long as AA and QF are in a metal neutral joint venture. It can use an AA 787 and be timed more for local traffic than connections.

We are going to see markets that in the new airline culture AA will have to enter to keep up with DL, such as Bombay, Dubai, Lagos and Tel Aviv. Not now, not next year, not even in 2013, but sometime by mid-decade, or AA is in trouble.
Whew, I am glad to see someone understand!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by zman
AA seems more interested in having their partners and code share's fly International Pacific (QF and JL and CX and even MU)except for the AA 6X Japan and 3X China.
Also AA still has some pilot contract issues (hours) as well as lack of long range planes today (777-200LR, 777-300ER, 747-400). So AA is limited to ~7500 miles NON Stop and can be weight restricted (or xtra stop) if unfavorable winds (same issues the AA 757 have from Europe to the U.S.).

Will have to see what AA does 3-5 years from now if they ever get longer range planes as the 787-9 or something else.
Definitely all valid stuff there. I just see value in putting AA metal there, and I think if the QF deal gets to move forward, the situation will be ripe.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Slightly newbie question regarding the ATIs and expanded routes.

If we get ATIs and metal neutrality, will this mean the AA code and the CX code or JL code will all cost the same?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:48 am

We are going to see markets that in the new airline culture AA will have to enter to keep up with DL, such as Bombay, Dubai, Lagos and Tel Aviv. Not now, not next year, not even in 2013, but sometime by mid-decade, or AA is in trouble.
AA has the least international destinations compared to the new UA and DL. Something has to be done. IMO 77Ws would be a perfect solution to this and would help competing against the other two US carriers I mentioned.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by tenmoc
Slightly newbie question regarding the ATIs and expanded routes.

If we get ATIs and metal neutrality, will this mean the AA code and the CX code or JL code will all cost the same?
It means that the fares are jointly set on trans-Pacific routes, so in theory, yes, but not necessarily in practice. Though it typically means that it doesn't matter what code one is flying on the trans-Pacific sector for mileage earning purposes as well.

Originally Posted by n710dn
AA has the least international destinations compared to the new UA and DL. Something has to be done. IMO 77Ws would be a perfect solution to this and would help competing against the other two US carriers I mentioned.
The difference in international destinations or passenger carried isn't that drastic, but that's only because AA is so big to Latin America and the Caribbean. It's even the largest carrier between the United States and Mexico in terms of passengers carried, not AeroMexico or Continental. But point taken, AA needs to expand its global reach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.