Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Exec_Plat
Wikipost - signed in members can minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons and edit the post.

FWAAA post 382: In the 10-K filed on February 20, 2013, AA confirmed that it now has ordered a total of 20 77W; two delivered in 2012, eight more in 2013, six more in 2014 and two each in 2015 and 2016 for a total of 20:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....5fUEFHRSZleHA9

16 total 77Ws by the end of next year plus at least four more after that.

Scheduling information: AA 777-300ER / 77W Schedule, Routes (consolidated)

777 family range (Boeing)

Both of AA's 777s are -ER (Extended Range) models, the common 777-223ER and new 777-323ER. Not much range difference, but significant capacity difference. No 200-LRs (Long Range, AKA "Worldliner",) in the future at this time.

777-300ER:

N717AN 7LA
N718AN 7LB
N719AN 7LC
N720AN 7LD
N721AN 7LE
N722AN 7LF
N723AN 7LG
N724AN 7LH
N725AN 7LJ
N726AN 7LK
N727AN 7LL

Updated from planespotters.net:

N728AN 7LM
N729AN 7LN
N730AN 7LP
N731AN 7LR
N732AN 7LS
N733AR 7LT

Based on this data there are 17 77Ws in service Oct 2015.
Print Wikipost

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by dayone
Perhaps "Rank Speculation" could be added to the thread title.
doesn't it "Flyer Talk" in the page title and at the base of the forum
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are four carriers flying LAX-SYD already: Qantas, United, Delta, and V Australia. How many carriers do you need? How many do you expect on very-long-haul routes?
Delta and V Australia are planning a joint venture; as are American and Qantas.

So it is technically soon-to-be three carriers: AA/QF, UA and VA/DL.

Originally Posted by tenmoc
How long do these agreements tend to take to go into effect?

I would really like to see more options per day between the US and Australia and choice of metal would help.
Anywhere from 8-24 months. Delta and V Australia applied for the same thing about a year ago. The problem is that while Australia has approved the DL/VA application, the United States has not, and AA/QF are likely to run into a similar hurdle.

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Given the QF/BA JSA and of course given the AA/BA/IB JV/ATI I guess its not surprising. The next steps might be to get CX-AA and CX-QF (tough one) and CX-JL as well as JL-QF to start getting more close.
The grand plan, I am told, is to create a mega-trans Pacific JBA with QF/JL/AA/CX all as one. The problem is that it would require Open Skies across the board between all four nations, so its not going to happen soon. Right now CX/AA JBA isn't at all possible due to the lack of Open Skies, and US/Australia are on a limited Open Skies-type deal that also places a hurdle on approval.

I still wouldn't see the need for AA to start Australia. Its quite resource intensive. Might as well let QF start flying more North America-South Pacific routes-especially given that they have 100 B787's on order/options/purchase rights.
There is, though, value in having the brand name fly to Australia. And with a JBA with Qantas, the risk is significantly reduces as are the costs, because there is no need to open a station in Sydney, Qantas handles everything. I honestly do think that seeing AA fly LAX-SYD in 4-6 years is a very realistic possibility as long as AA and QF are in a metal neutral joint venture. It can use an AA 787 and be timed more for local traffic than connections.

We are going to see markets that in the new airline culture AA will have to enter to keep up with DL, such as Bombay, Dubai, Lagos and Tel Aviv. Not now, not next year, not even in 2013, but sometime by mid-decade, or AA is in trouble.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by ihdihd
As someone who flies to DXB for business every once in a while, I'm always forced to make the terrible choice to connect in Amman or take the more than comfortable Etihad or EK flights. For those that have done the AMM connection, while it's not totally painful, the arrival timing makes it tough to be even remotely coherent when you get in DXB extremely late at night.
Hopefully the new terminal expansion at AMM will allow for more expanded flight windows to better ease the connections to other parts in the Middle East.

Connecting through there ain't so bad either. Nice spacious lounge IMO.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Premium Economy?

As the 300 is a larger/longer aircraft, could we see the birth of Premium Economy/Coach on AA.

Range aside, does AA need the increase in capacity that a 300 would offer? What routes would that increased capacity benefit as a oversold 200 flight is pretty hit and miss.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
Range aside, does AA need the increase in capacity that a 300 would offer? What routes would that increased capacity benefit as a oversold 200 flight is pretty hit and miss.
NRT to make up for JL's reduction of 744s?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
NRT to make up for JL's reduction of 744s?
If the 777-300ER happens it will be at least two years from now.
No one knows for sure what routes AA will be interested in two years from now to use the planes. I am sure they have a lot of options on their list.
JL reductions are do to lack of business. If they could fill a 747 every day, they would still use them.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546
American and Qantas are applying with Australian authorities for immunity today, which would merger their U.S.-Australia operations just like AA/JAL to Asia and AA/IB/BA for EU. It's an interesting move, because AA does not fly to Australia, but if it were to, it would have metal neutrality with Qantas. So maybe its something we'll see in the long term future, using an AA plane for a third daily LAX-SYD.
I agree completely, but here's a writer for Bloomberg who disagrees:

American Expands Quantas Alliance to Build On Overseas Ventures
<snip>

The expanded cooperation builds on American’s alliances with Japan Airlines Corp. and British Airways Plc that allow those carriers to jointly set schedules and fares. American and Qantas won’t share revenue under their commercial relationship and can’t seek approval to jointly set fares and schedules because American doesn’t serve Australia on its own.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

I'm not sure I follow the writer.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I agree completely, but here's a writer for Bloomberg who disagrees:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

I'm not sure I follow the writer.
The writer who can't spell "Qantas" does not disagree, he is just stating a fact. AA does not fly to Australia, so AA can't jointly set schedules and fares with Qantas. However, under the proposed venture, if AA were to fly to Australia, it would be able to work with Qantas to set schedules and fares. Therefore, I believe the proposed venture povides a huge incentive for AA to seriously consider flying to Australia. And if AA were to order 773s, or with AA's upcoming 789s, it has the perfect plane for the route.

I do think that we will see 773s in the AA fleet sooner rather than later, maybe around 2013 replacing the 772s that are supposed to be delivered around that time. But I don't really put much weight on the rumors that a 773 order is imminent, but I hope I'm wrong on that.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:40 pm

The writer who can't spell "Qantas" does not disagree, he is just stating a fact. AA does not fly to Australia, so AA can't jointly set schedules and fares with Qantas. However, under the proposed venture, if AA were to fly to Australia, it would be able to work with Qantas to set schedules and fares. Therefore, I believe the proposed venture povides a huge incentive for AA to seriously consider flying to Australia. And if AA were to order 773s, or with AA's upcoming 789s, it has the perfect plane for the route.

I do think that we will see 773s in the AA fleet sooner rather than later, maybe around 2013 replacing the 772s that are supposed to be delivered around that time. But I don't really put much weight on the rumors that a 773 order is imminent, but I hope I'm wrong on that.
Maybe AA needs to re-start their HNL to SYD again
DFW-HNL-SYD in a 777 or ORD-HNL-SYD
No Pilot contract approval needed

Last edited by zman; Jan 14, 2011 at 5:29 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by zman
Maybe AA needs to start their HNL to SYD again
DFW-HNL-SYD in a 777 or ORD-HNL-SYD
No Pilot contract approval needed
Actually, I think AA will even started nonstop LAX-SYD and that won't be necessary to stopover in HNL.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by ihdihd
Jacobin777, nice post.

Are you saying, as other have suggested, that an ORD-DXB could be done using current equipment and few if any weight restrictions? Combined with Open Skies, as well as the new airport in Jebel Ali opening eventually, along with many other things (route scarcity, OW penetration in the market, etc) this could actually happen.

As someone who flies to DXB for business every once in a while, I'm always forced to make the terrible choice to connect in Amman or take the more than comfortable Etihad or EK flights. For those that have done the AMM connection, while it's not totally painful, the arrival timing makes it tough to be even remotely coherent when you get in DXB extremely late at night.
-Thanks for the kind words..

-Yes, AA with current equipment (i.e-B77E) can fly ORD-DXB-ORD if they want. Restrictions (especially on DXB-ORD) would depend on the time the flight would depart. An early a.m. departure would have low restrictions while a daytime departure, especially out of DXB would have a bit of restrictions. I think the flight would leave very early a.m. or late p.m.

DL: DXB 11:20 p.m.- ATL-6:05 a.m.
UA: DXB 12:50 a.m.- IAD- 6:26 a.m.
EY: AUH 10:25 a.m.- ORD 3:25 p.m.

EY use the A346 so they have a bit more "oomph" which allows a later flight time.

I would think AA would follow DL's/UA's timeframe for departure out of DXB.

I also wouldn't mind using AA to DXB rather than connecting @ LHR. It would make life a lot easier for me!

Too bad....

The grand plan, I am told, is to create a mega-trans Pacific JBA with QF/JL/AA/CX all as one. The problem is that it would require Open Skies across the board between all four nations, so its not going to happen soon. Right now CX/AA JBA isn't at all possible due to the lack of Open Skies, and US/Australia are on a limited Open Skies-type deal that also places a hurdle on approval.
That's what I was thinking along the lines of. ^

I do agree it would take a while before there are all the Open Skies agreements amongst all of the various countries. Look how long USA-Europe and USA-Japan took.

At least OneWorld is moving in the right direction.

There is, though, value in having the brand name fly to Australia. And with a JBA with Qantas, the risk is significantly reduces as are the costs, because there is no need to open a station in Sydney, Qantas handles everything. I honestly do think that seeing AA fly LAX-SYD in 4-6 years is a very realistic possibility as long as AA and QF are in a metal neutral joint venture. It can use an AA 787 and be timed more for local traffic than connections.

We are going to see markets that in the new airline culture AA will have to enter to keep up with DL, such as Bombay, Dubai, Lagos and Tel Aviv. Not now, not next year, not even in 2013, but sometime by mid-decade, or AA is in trouble.
I agree. As I mentioned above, I would rather fly SJC-ORD-DXB rather than say SFO-LHR-DXB. Even though I know a number of AA pax who are going to start flying BA TPAC, I also know a number of pax (myself included) who will still stick with flying on AA. I recently flew TPAC to LHR in J on both AA and BA...while BA's overall service was better, I had no problems flying on AA J either.

If AA decided to fly LAX/DFW-SYD, I probably would fly AA over QF.

I also agree that AA really needs to "get on the ball" in the next few years. I will "cut them some slack" though because they have had to wait a number of extra years to get JV/ATI which the other alliance members didn't have to. That being said, AA needs to start taking a bit more "initiative" (some would say "risk" or "chances") on other routes.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by zman
I am sure they have a lot of options on their list.
JL reductions are do to lack of business. If they could fill a 747 every day, they would still use them.
Reading what's going on between JAL and the major Japanese banks, JL's decision to reduce their 744s are more about flipping the bird against their shareholders who wanted JL to find more ways to cut costs. However, the same shareholders are now angry why JL's scrapping the jumbos

Shareholders (banks): I've had enough of bailing you out all the time! Figure out a way to cut costs and run it like a business!
JAL: Fine

<JAL starts fleet consolidation to ERJ-190s, 738s and 777s and scrapping inefficient 744s, 74Ds, and A300s>

Shareholders (banks): Waaah! What are you doing!? Are you nuts!? We love those planes, we use them all the time to fly in F on our business trips!?
JAL: [flips them off] You asked for cost-cutting, that's what we're doing.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:07 pm

That's what I was thinking along the lines of. ^

I do agree it would take a while before there are all the Open Skies agreements amongst all of the various countries. Look how long USA-Europe and USA-Japan took.
At the JAL/AMR press conference earlier this week, the topic of Cathay joining the ATI was brought up, and it sounds like AA and JL are pushing for it. But, again, it needs U.S.-Hong Kong open skies.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
If AA decided to fly LAX/DFW-SYD, I probably would fly AA over QF.
I think it is right choices for AA will likely to flying nonstop LAX/DFW-SYD. Becuase the 777-300ER has increased the weight restrictions. Because 77W does not have payload restricted over further south. I think 77W will have to stop in BNE to get refuel the plane and ongoing continued the flight to SYD. It could be work out very well and it will have to do easily way to flying one-stop in BNE instead of going to flying nonstop from DFW-SYD. That will be problems the headwinds gusts over TPAC flight.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
IF (and that's a big if) AA does order 77W, I'm sure it will first go to additional capacity on their most high demand routes. I'm thinking JFL-LHR, LAX-LHR, ORD-LHR, DFW-LHR, and maybe LAX-NRT or US-Brazil/Argentina.

The spare 77E from substitute 77W on those LHR routes can then rotate to the highest demand 763 routes like JFK-FCO, ORD-FCO, and CDG.

And the spare 763 from substitute 77E on those European routes can be refurbished for 3-class LAX-JFK service.

And that means the 762 can finally be retired when they are up for the next D-check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.