Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Exec_Plat
Wikipost - signed in members can minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons and edit the post.

FWAAA post 382: In the 10-K filed on February 20, 2013, AA confirmed that it now has ordered a total of 20 77W; two delivered in 2012, eight more in 2013, six more in 2014 and two each in 2015 and 2016 for a total of 20:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....5fUEFHRSZleHA9

16 total 77Ws by the end of next year plus at least four more after that.

Scheduling information: AA 777-300ER / 77W Schedule, Routes (consolidated)

777 family range (Boeing)

Both of AA's 777s are -ER (Extended Range) models, the common 777-223ER and new 777-323ER. Not much range difference, but significant capacity difference. No 200-LRs (Long Range, AKA "Worldliner",) in the future at this time.

777-300ER:

N717AN 7LA
N718AN 7LB
N719AN 7LC
N720AN 7LD
N721AN 7LE
N722AN 7LF
N723AN 7LG
N724AN 7LH
N725AN 7LJ
N726AN 7LK
N727AN 7LL

Updated from planespotters.net:

N728AN 7LM
N729AN 7LN
N730AN 7LP
N731AN 7LR
N732AN 7LS
N733AR 7LT

Based on this data there are 17 77Ws in service Oct 2015.
Print Wikipost

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by MAH4546
No, it doesn't.

DFW-ICN is a very sizeable O&D market, the second largest between Texas and the Pacific, and it is mostly Dallas-originating. AA can do very well on this route, no codeshare needed whatsoever.
Agreed. Between CX and JL, AA has a good enough Asia network for those using HK or Tokyo as an entry point to smaller Asian markets. No need to have just another gateway. Having a OW US-Korea option would be great, especially considering the current economic boom in South Korea.

If AA were to offer only one ICN flight, would it be better to offer DFW (up to once daily by KE) or ORD (served up to twice daily by KE and OZ)? I feel like JFK and LAX are likely saturated and there would be little use in serving MIA, even though they don't have ICN service at all.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:23 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GRU787
Brazil will have Open Skies with US soon. GRU->SFO will be a nice
This will never happen, given AA's reluctance to compete in the SFO market, and its focus on its core cities.

Originally Posted by N830MH
And LAX, too.
This could happen.

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Enough about DXB and TLV. There are only three new routes that really matter.

LAX/ORD-HKG
LAX/SYD
MIA/JNB
LAX-SYD? No way. AA is too afraid of competition to compete with DL in SYD. Especially since Qantas already flies this route, it doesn't really make sense to compete with them.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by r415
LAX-SYD? No way. AA is too afraid of competition to compete with DL in SYD. Especially since Qantas already flies this route, it doesn't really make sense to compete with them.
Too afraid of competition with Delta? Seriously? When AA has a partnership with Qantas and is far stronger in Los Angeles?

Furthermore, Qantas and American Airlines today applied for anti-trust immunity with the Australian government. If approved by Australia and the U.S. DOT, they will be one airline between the U.S. and Australia/New Zealand, and if AA were to start service to Australia, AA would be profit-sharing, not competing, with Qantas.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Sorry I seem to have gotten to "class" late today I read the thread, but where did the MIA-JNB idea come from? Not disagreeing -- just wouldn't have occurred to me.

Though if that were to happen I would no longer have an excuse for stopping in London on the way to SA
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
The entire 773ER can barely enough flying nonstop out of MIA-JNB. Because the 777 was on the weight restrictions. Because the 77W is very extremely strong high headwinds gusted. This is on the payload restrictions. The 777-300ER is more comparable aircraft and more fuel efficient and more capabilities.
I'm really struggling to understand what that means, for example "Because the 77W is very extremely strong high headwinds gusted" which makes it sound like there was wind due to the power of the 77W. Could you perhaps try to clarify a bit less tersely?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by kebosabi
MIA to South Africa would be a welcome addition indeed. Much better way than going via LHR. ^
Totally agree. That would really open up options and the DONE and AONE guys would welcome a new connection.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Open Skies with the UAE, so, yes, AA just gets it.
I can't imagine AA going for their own metal from JFK to DXB. The competition seems like it would be less than ideal to start with.

But more AA metal to more places makes me happy.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As someone that really wants to make it to Capetown but can't stand the idea of flying to LHR and then connecting onto BA (which of course would be in Y) I would be thrilled to see a MIA/JNB route. IMHO the biggest worry now for route expansions is the escalation of oil prices.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:36 am

Too afraid of competition with Delta? Seriously? When AA has a partnership with Qantas and is far stronger in Los Angeles?

Furthermore, Qantas and American Airlines today applied for anti-trust immunity with the Australian government. If approved by Australia and the U.S. DOT, they will be one airline between the U.S. and Australia/New Zealand, and if AA were to start service to Australia, AA would be profit-sharing, not competing, with Qantas.
How long do these agreements tend to take to go into effect?

I would really like to see more options per day between the US and Australia and choice of metal would help.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Sorry I seem to have gotten to "class" late today I read the thread, but where did the MIA-JNB idea come from? Not disagreeing -- just wouldn't have occurred to me.

Though if that were to happen I would no longer have an excuse for stopping in London on the way to SA
It would fill a big whole in US travelers trying to go to Africa and the IO. Especially if you can avoid London and the insane taxes. Plus. Its a way to use DONE or AONE or LONE without going back into Europe saving a continent and costs if you so choose.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
As someone that really wants to make it to Capetown but can't stand the idea of flying to LHR and then connecting onto BA (which of course would be in Y) I would be thrilled to see a MIA/JNB route. IMHO the biggest worry now for route expansions is the escalation of oil prices.
And CBS radio here this morning is reporting the idea that speculators are trying to push it over $100 again.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by bernardd
Can the 777-300ER actually make it non-stop DFW-DXB? I believe both the carriers flying IAH-DXB non-stops are using 777-200LR's, though IIRC EK has -300ER's in its fleet. Is it therefore even technically feasible?
Originally Posted by zman
The 8k mileage is > than 777-300ER capability and ETOPS rules
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
-What ETOPS rules? There would be no ETOPS restrictions.
-CX and EK combined have multiple 8,000 mile B77W flights.
I thought we'd need at least ETOPS 120, as I was imagining a TATL crossing.

However, when I plotted this on the GC Map, it appears to be almost a polar routing.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=dfw-dxb&MS=wls&DU=mi&E=60

Jacobin777 is correct, ETOPS is probably not necessary for this route. However, I would suspect that political reasons may limit the number/location of diversion airports in the vicinity of DXB. I would also expect, on-ground logistics would limit the number of diversion airports over Greenland/Iceland/NE Canada as well (in case diversion was necessary).

Also, I'm not sure what the winds are like on this route, but it appears that the 77W could make it eastbound. There would most likely need to be a westbound fuel stop (or westbound payload restrictions).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tenmoc

I would really like to see more options per day between the US and Australia and choice of metal would help.
There are four carriers flying LAX-SYD already: Qantas, United, Delta, and V Australia. How many carriers do you need? How many do you expect on very-long-haul routes?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are four carriers flying LAX-SYD already: Qantas, United, Delta, and V Australia. How many carriers do you need? How many do you expect on very-long-haul routes?
My comment was not specifically tied to LAX. But even such, if the agreement goes through QF and AA can be considered one instead of two. As for V-Aus Delta and UAL, i have no use for them and I'm pretty sure most OW and people traveling around Australia instead of just going to the gateway city would agree with that in regards to most of them.

Of the routes proposed in this thread i'd most like to see MIA-JNB/CPT. But will take what ever I can get here.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
One challenge might be the -300ER GE90-115B1 engines; AA's 777-223ERs are equipped with the Rolls Royce 895 engines, so that's lots of extra expense for maintenance and parts inventories, among others.
There are plenty of ways for an engine manufacturer to minimize, if not essentially eliminate, the incremental costs of bringing a new engine model into the fleet.

A bigger challenge would be if AA were to agree with Boeing to convert any outstanding 772ER orders into 773ERs. This would likely violate AA's contract with Rolls and, in my experience, Rolls is pretty aggressive in these situations (rightly so, IMO). Nothing that cannot be worked-out, but it would be an additonal hurdle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.