Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Exec_Plat
Wikipost - signed in members can minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons and edit the post.

FWAAA post 382: In the 10-K filed on February 20, 2013, AA confirmed that it now has ordered a total of 20 77W; two delivered in 2012, eight more in 2013, six more in 2014 and two each in 2015 and 2016 for a total of 20:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....5fUEFHRSZleHA9

16 total 77Ws by the end of next year plus at least four more after that.

Scheduling information: AA 777-300ER / 77W Schedule, Routes (consolidated)

777 family range (Boeing)

Both of AA's 777s are -ER (Extended Range) models, the common 777-223ER and new 777-323ER. Not much range difference, but significant capacity difference. No 200-LRs (Long Range, AKA "Worldliner",) in the future at this time.

777-300ER:

N717AN 7LA
N718AN 7LB
N719AN 7LC
N720AN 7LD
N721AN 7LE
N722AN 7LF
N723AN 7LG
N724AN 7LH
N725AN 7LJ
N726AN 7LK
N727AN 7LL

Updated from planespotters.net:

N728AN 7LM
N729AN 7LN
N730AN 7LP
N731AN 7LR
N732AN 7LS
N733AR 7LT

Based on this data there are 17 77Ws in service Oct 2015.
Print Wikipost

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by TWA884
I thought that the difference in range between the 772ER and the 773ER is only about 200 miles. Is it enough to make the difference on these routes?
This should help...:-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#Variants

The B77W (B773ER) can carry a much heavier load (ie.-pax/cargo) further at its MTOW than the B77E (B772ER) can at its MTOW. That is a big advantage.

If the route isn't large (ie.-such as JFK-LHR) then the B77W will be able to carry even more cargo, etc.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
[QUOTE=ByrdluvsAWACO;15655391]Which routes would these be? AA has sat on their a$$..s for so long that the fungus named DL has spread to almost every market. There are no more monopoly markets in this day and age. Its now time for AA to learn how to do things the old fashioned way and develop markets like they did in South America.

Develop markets like they did in South America?? These are routes inherited from Eastern, which got them from Braniff. And many of the South American employees are ex-Braniff/Panagra, if you want to go that far back. AA has certainly done well in exploiting the market, but they certainly did not develop it.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Pure speculation on my part, but two 77Ws just isn't enough. Some long-haul routes even essentially require that an airline have three of the type to operate efficiently.
Now that they have announced the 777W first order it is safe to assume ( if AA is around long enough) that this is just the first of future orders. Only 2 aircraft of the type doesn't make much sense. More likely, as is with the 737, they will announce future orders for the type going forward.

Horton was asked a direct question about this in the conference call and gave a rather vague answer along the lines of we will evaluate this going forward. AA corporate speak for we have a plan just not gonna share it yet.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
[QUOTE=jeffhacker;15694125]
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Develop markets like they did in South America?? These are routes inherited from Eastern, which got them from Braniff. And many of the South American employees are ex-Braniff/Panagra, if you want to go that far back. AA has certainly done well in exploiting the market, but they certainly did not develop it.
100% wrong. Eastern's network to South America was quite small. Much weaker than people think. Pan Am was the Miami-Latin America king, and United killed that network apart. AA took Eastern's small Latin American network and developed it into the strong market it is today.

Eastern didn't even fly MIA-GRU non-stop - that's all weak the network was.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Maybe with the 777-300ER's, we will finally see JFK-TLV. EWR-TLV is Continental's most lucrative route...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:22 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I don't understand why the fuss about AA plane order.

The 2 aircraft order is nothing but a shame to AA when you compare it to the orders of EK and EY and QR of that type of airplanes.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by LH/LX
I don't understand why the fuss about AA plane order.

The 2 aircraft order is nothing but a shame to AA when you compare it to the orders of EK and EY and QR of that type of airplanes.
Such horrible shame
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by FWAAA
"Metal neutrality" is like "low cost carrier." Neither term really refers to the passengers' perspective - they refer to the airlines' perspective.
Which is why i've been suggesting AA metal into asia or routes that would help the AA flyer instead of just the airline.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm wondering if the reason AA has only purchased two of these 777-300s is due to the possibility that AA may buy the rest from JAL?! After all their relationship is now closer than ever
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
I'm wondering if the reason AA has only purchased two of these 777-300s is due to the possibility that AA may buy the rest from JAL?! After all their relationship is now closer than ever
Don't JAL need all they can get if they're parking most of their 744's?

I wonder if it could be the other way round? Could Boeing be lining up a mega-deal with OneWorld that will see a handful of OW operators order 773's at a special price? Could AA's deal be a stopgap and/or part of the 787-9 deal which is designed to get them to the point where something more significant happens?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: AAEXP, and every other one on the planet
Negotiating chip?

more speculation... they may have an idea to fly DFW-HKG but would need union agreement, and I would speculate that the contract amendment to allow this is on the table, and lack of agreement would affect the order confirmation?

I speculate that AA is still smarting from the screwing they suffer from on slot times for the mainland chinese airports, and being unable to effectively make connections, better times with help from OW partner CX in HKG? it also is speculated due to the chinese interest in south american commodities, and increasing interest for one stop access to south american countries...

I also speculate that this has something to do with the 787 delay compensation?

dittymau
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
I really think AA has some thing else up their sleeves since they only ordered two and not more.
Of course. AA isn't going to operate a micro subfleet of 77Ws - it just doesn't make any sense. There will be more orders.

That's a bit over dramatic, don't you think?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by bernardd
....Could AA's deal be a stopgap and/or part of the 787-9 deal which is designed to get them to the point where something more significant happens?
I don't think this could be the answer because 2 of a type they currently do not have really doesn't help as a stop gap measure.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Of course. AA isn't going to operate a micro subfleet of 77Ws - it just doesn't make any sense. There will be more orders.

That's a bit over dramatic, don't you think?
Nah . . . an airline of AA's stature should have ordered 90 A380s just like EK, a subsidiary of an OPEC member nation-state.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Nah . . . an airline of AA's stature should have ordered 90 A380s just like EK, a subsidiary of an OPEC member nation-state.
Well maybe AA can get a status match from EK? We spend enough money to OPEC after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.