Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Exec_Plat
Wikipost - signed in members can minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons and edit the post.

FWAAA post 382: In the 10-K filed on February 20, 2013, AA confirmed that it now has ordered a total of 20 77W; two delivered in 2012, eight more in 2013, six more in 2014 and two each in 2015 and 2016 for a total of 20:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....5fUEFHRSZleHA9

16 total 77Ws by the end of next year plus at least four more after that.

Scheduling information: AA 777-300ER / 77W Schedule, Routes (consolidated)

777 family range (Boeing)

Both of AA's 777s are -ER (Extended Range) models, the common 777-223ER and new 777-323ER. Not much range difference, but significant capacity difference. No 200-LRs (Long Range, AKA "Worldliner",) in the future at this time.

777-300ER:

N717AN 7LA
N718AN 7LB
N719AN 7LC
N720AN 7LD
N721AN 7LE
N722AN 7LF
N723AN 7LG
N724AN 7LH
N725AN 7LJ
N726AN 7LK
N727AN 7LL

Updated from planespotters.net:

N728AN 7LM
N729AN 7LN
N730AN 7LP
N731AN 7LR
N732AN 7LS
N733AR 7LT

Based on this data there are 17 77Ws in service Oct 2015.
Print Wikipost

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by FWAAA
CX has already announced that it will soon begin flying ORD-HKG this year, so why would AA duplicate that new route?
I understand your point but I disagree this is a reason not to do it. There are several examples where AA and a OW partner both fly between a US gateway and a foreign city that is the hub of the OW partner. JFK-LHR with BA, JFK/ORD/LAX-NRT with JL to name a few. It is about capacity versus demand (Is one CX flight enough between ORD and HKG?) and the fact that buying a tix on an AA flight is different then buying one on an AA codeshare in terms of price and marketing, not to mention serving your elites.

Markets like Singapore, Bangkok, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, HK, southern China are where the growth is for the foreseeable future and JL does not serve them well. Having your own metal into a major regional hub, which is also the hub of a OW partner, is important.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Pure speculation on my part, but two 77Ws just isn't enough. Some long-haul routes even essentially require that an airline have three of the type to operate efficiently.

I am guessing that either AA has a plan to acquire more 77Ws from another source, AA will convert its existing 772 orders to 77W or both.

As for routes, three new routes that aren't possible with the 772:

MIA-NRT
MIA-JNB-CPT-MIA
ORD-BOM
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Pure speculation on my part, but two 77Ws just isn't enough. Some long-haul routes even essentially require that an airline have three of the type to operate efficiently.

I am guessing that either AA has a plan to acquire more 77Ws from another source, AA will convert its existing 772 orders to 77W or both.

As for routes, three new routes that aren't possible with the 772:

MIA-NRT
MIA-JNB-CPT-MIA
ORD-BOM
I really think AA has some thing else up their sleeves since they only ordered two and not more.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inlanikai
I understand your point but I disagree this is a reason not to do it. There are several examples where AA and a OW partner both fly between a US gateway and a foreign city that is the hub of the OW partner. JFK-LHR with BA, JFK/ORD/LAX-NRT with JL to name a few. It is about capacity versus demand (Is one CX flight enough between ORD and HKG?) and the fact that buying a tix on an AA flight is different then buying one on an AA codeshare in terms of price and marketing, not to mention serving your elites.
Given that UA already serves ORD-HKG and that the new service by CX will double the ORD-HKG capacity, a 777-300ER by AA would almost triple the ORD-HKG capacity. There may be sufficient Oneworld traffic to HKG to justify doubling the capacity from Chicago, but I'm skeptical that there's enough traffic to justify tripling the Chicago-Hong Kong capacity. I've been wrong before, though.

Maybe the plan is that AA takes over ORD-HKG in late 2012 or early 2013?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Given that UA already serves ORD-HKG and that the new service by CX will double the ORD-HKG capacity, a 777-300ER by AA would almost triple the ORD-HKG capacity. There may be sufficient Oneworld traffic to HKG to justify doubling the capacity from Chicago, but I'm skeptical that there's enough traffic to justify tripling the Chicago-Hong Kong capacity. I've been wrong before, though.

I doubt it - given the cost to CX of opening a new station.

DFW-HKG seems more likely if you ask me.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
3-4 day per week service.
AA is immunized or pending immunization with BA, JL and QF, all of which have 777-300ERs in their fleet. Therefore if needed the 2 77Ws could be put in a metal-neutral market in rotation with another partner's 77Ws, e.g. the same schedule is being operated on (roughly) alternate days with alternate metal 77Ws.

Of course the economics of only owning 2 of a sub-type would still look pretty awful and I totally believe that there will be more to the story. Are unionized employees contract an issue?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond

I would gladly fly AA on ORG-HKG so that I can use my EVIP on any fare than risk sitting on a "Very Very" Hard exit row seat on CX or.......GASP!!!... E+ on a 744 on UA (where I might add all passengers view one screen to watch movies...REPEAT.......ONE SCREEN!!!)

Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I just read the news release again and it says the plane will be delivered in 2012. So no need to speculate about the routing for these birds in 2011 if AA does not receive them until 2012.

Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by NYC1K
I just read the news release again and it says the plane will be delivered in 2012. So no need to speculate about the routing for these birds in 2011 if AA does not receive them until 2012.

Late 2012 at that. Plenty of time for everyone to have a "i said that last year" guess.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYC1K
I would gladly fly AA on ORG-HKG so that I can use my EVIP on any fare than risk sitting on a "Very Very" Hard exit row seat on CX or.......GASP!!!... E+ on a 744 on UA (where I might add all passengers view one screen to watch movies...REPEAT.......ONE SCREEN!!!)

I don't doubt your sincerity, but I'd guess that the financial viability of ORD-HKG depends more on having sufficient numbers of paid F and J and less on the number of Flyertalkers willing to buy Q, O and N fares and wanting to upgrade to biz.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by hillrider
AA is immunized or pending immunization with BA, JL and QF, all of which have 777-300ERs in their fleet. Therefore if needed the 2 77Ws could be put in a metal-neutral market in rotation with another partner's 77Ws, e.g. the same schedule is being operated on (roughly) alternate days with alternate metal 77Ws.
Doesn't this take us back to the questions about true metal neutrality? Will AA equip these like a BA, JL or QF aircraft with similar Business seats and a PE cabin.

Originally Posted by hillrider
Of course the economics of only owning 2 of a sub-type would still look pretty awful and I totally believe that there will be more to the story. Are unionized employees contract an issue?
One question I haven't seen is can the pilots operate both these and the -200ER's? Do they have the same cockpit or do new simulators etc. etc.?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by bernardd
Doesn't this take us back to the questions about true metal neutrality? Will AA equip these like a BA, JL or QF aircraft with similar Business seats and a PE cabin.
True metal neutrality is going to take just as long mentally for me as it will for them to implement it.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:43 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by tenmoc
True metal neutrality is going to take just as long mentally for me as it will for them to implement it.
Not really. As far as they are concern, they don't care with metal you fly on. They share the profit and bare the cost. It will be metal neutral for JL/AA on the routes covered by JBV from April 1 2011.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Not really. As far as they are concern, they don't care with metal you fly on. They share the profit and bare the cost. It will be metal neutral for JL/AA on the routes covered by JBV from April 1 2011.
If i have to pay higher fares to get the codes to get the same mileage treatment it is not metal neutral.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Metal neutrality" is like "low cost carrier." Neither term really refers to the passengers' perspective - they refer to the airlines' perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.