Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Exec_Plat
Wikipost - signed in members can minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons and edit the post.

FWAAA post 382: In the 10-K filed on February 20, 2013, AA confirmed that it now has ordered a total of 20 77W; two delivered in 2012, eight more in 2013, six more in 2014 and two each in 2015 and 2016 for a total of 20:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....5fUEFHRSZleHA9

16 total 77Ws by the end of next year plus at least four more after that.

Scheduling information: AA 777-300ER / 77W Schedule, Routes (consolidated)

777 family range (Boeing)

Both of AA's 777s are -ER (Extended Range) models, the common 777-223ER and new 777-323ER. Not much range difference, but significant capacity difference. No 200-LRs (Long Range, AKA "Worldliner",) in the future at this time.

777-300ER:

N717AN 7LA
N718AN 7LB
N719AN 7LC
N720AN 7LD
N721AN 7LE
N722AN 7LF
N723AN 7LG
N724AN 7LH
N725AN 7LJ
N726AN 7LK
N727AN 7LL

Updated from planespotters.net:

N728AN 7LM
N729AN 7LN
N730AN 7LP
N731AN 7LR
N732AN 7LS
N733AR 7LT

Based on this data there are 17 77Ws in service Oct 2015.
Print Wikipost

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MAH4546
A third 77W is perfect, because it allows AA to operate two long-haul routes with the initial fleet. The majority of long-haul routes, as long as one doesn't schedule super long plane parking layovers like South America schedules require, use 1.5 planes.

Three 77Ws, could, for example, operate JNB-MIA-NRT or BOM-ORD-HKG.

I still am of the belief that the remaining seven 772 orders, which are due starting in 2013, will become 77W orders.
Actually, I think AA will planned for MIA-JNB-MIA-NRT on operate 3 77W aircraft. I think it will have better aircraft utilizations for each directions.

Originally Posted by JY1024
Mod note in the first post has been updated with the news of the 3rd 77W, and the thread title has been modified accordingly also. /Moderator
Thanks for heads-up, JY1024. Appreciated it for your efforts.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I am certain that by time the first AA 777-323 is delivered in late 2012, AA will have ordered more than these initial three copies. My guess is at least a dozen, perhaps more.
Right. AA will continuations to ordered more 77W aircraft to come online. Does anyone know about entire 77W will delivery in end of 2012 & 2013. Isn't supposed AA will announced it for MIA-JNB-MIA-NRT-MIA? AA will take the advantage of next new routes announced from MIA hub.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
There are a multitude of factors-i.e. such as most of the payments being made at time of delivery, etc. Also, AA can use the deposits with RR for other items-i.e. such as spares (which cost a lot of money), etc.
That's not how the industry works. Other than for spare engines (assuming AA actually owns its spares), AA makes no deposits for engines. It doesn't actually purchase them from RR directly. RR sells them to Boeing who then rolls-up the engine purchase price into the total cost for the airframe and invoices AA directly. In order to win this campaign, RR would have commited millions of dollars in incentives on the nose of each aircraft that is paid to AA directly upon purchase of the aircraft (or, at AA's option, paid directly to Boeing to offset the purchase price of the airplane - this helps them to secure financing). For a 777, at the time that RR won this campaign, the payments RR agreed to make likely total somewhere between 73% to 78% of the price of each engine (a shipset of 777 engines is roughly $40m); additionally, RR likely provided additional financial support for tooling, initial spare parts provisioning, training and other incentives (AA and RR have an engine overhaul JV). The percentage that an engine manufacturer is willing to pay to win a campaign is based, in part, on the size of the deal and the forecasted revenue stream (spare parts & repairs, mostly) that would be earned from the airline. As such, engine OEMs get very protective of exisiting orders and will be contractually entitled to significant compensation from the airline if defers or cancels orders. Further, AA and RR likely have a Total Care agreement in place, which provides power-by-the-hour pricing for off-wing engine maintenance. The power-by-the-hour rate that AA pays is partly a function of AA's RR-powered 777 fleet size (other factors include average stage length, environmental severity, average derate on takeoff and average cruise altitude) and these contracts typically allow for rate adjustments based on fleet size.

I am not privy to the specific details of any RR and AA discussions, but having been involved in many such issues, I am fairly confident that RR would not let AA out without some form of compensation.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grahampros
Not to mention we dont know the contract terms. Could well be they have an out clause that requires them to pay nothing.
As noted above, extremely unlikely. Airlines would love this type of provision, but they don't get it. Airlines are like vultures with their suppliers; they pick and pick until nothing is left, but once a deal is reached, the service provider has the leverage.

The far more surprising part is AA flying a different engine type (regardless of who it's from) given their strategy in recent years. The economics of the 77W must be very compelling....which other carriers flying it say.
You can structure a package for an airline that minimizes the cost of having multiple engine types in a fleet. Engine commonality concerns are greatly overstated on FT and airliners.net.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microwave
AA already fly GE powered 763s, and fly many many P&W and CFM engines in other birds. They've shown no interest in becoming a BA-style predominantly Rolls (or any other manufacturer for that matter) house.
Indeed. Even BA ordered 77Ws.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PresRDC
You can structure a package for an airline that minimizes the cost of having multiple engine types in a fleet. Engine commonality concerns are greatly overstated on FT and airliners.net.
Yep.

One thing that came out quite clearly from the official reports of the QF A380 incident is that QF practically "rents" the engines by the hour, and all of the maintenance, spare parts, etc. for those engines are all taken care by the engine manufacturer.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Official Presentation from AA

The official presentation from AA can be found here: LINK
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kappa
Would that be in addition to the 772 order?
Don't know. My WAG is that they will be converted to 77Ws.

The truly surprising thing for me is that this strategy represents a reversal of the Crandall-era philosophy that smaller planes generally make more sense than the largest planes. 777-300s are essentially a two-engined 747 (capacity-wise), and I didn't think AA would ever fly anything that large again.

As to additional 77W orders: Except for the 747SPs acquired to permit AA to fly DFW-NRT while it waited for the MD-11s, AA has never flown a fleet of just two or three airplanes. That's why I'm certain the three orders will be joined by more in the coming months.

Then again, I might be completely wrong. A while back (after last summer's 738 orders) I predicted that AA would order several dozen additional 738s and so far, that hasn't happened. With jet fuel prices well north of $3/gal today, each MD-80 represents an additional $2.4 million of fuel burned per year on average compared to a new 738 (AA's numbers). At today's prices, AA's present fleet of MD-80s will burn an extra half billion dollars of fuel this year over an equivalent fleet of 738s. Years ago, when NW refurbished its fleet of DC-9s instead of replacing them, fuel cost about 20% of its price today. Old fuel guzzlers made economic sense when fuel was practically free but not when it's $3/gal.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by PresRDC
That's not how the industry works. Other than for spare engines (assuming AA actually owns its spares), AA makes no deposits for engines. It doesn't actually purchase them from RR directly. RR sells them to Boeing who then rolls-up the engine purchase price into the total cost for the airframe and invoices AA directly. In order to win this campaign, RR would have commited millions of dollars in incentives on the nose of each aircraft that is paid to AA directly upon purchase of the aircraft (or, at AA's option, paid directly to Boeing to offset the purchase price of the airplane - this helps them to secure financing). For a 777, at the time that RR won this campaign, the payments RR agreed to make likely total somewhere between 73% to 78% of the price of each engine (a shipset of 777 engines is roughly $40m); additionally, RR likely provided additional financial support for tooling, initial spare parts provisioning, training and other incentives (AA and RR have an engine overhaul JV). The percentage that an engine manufacturer is willing to pay to win a campaign is based, in part, on the size of the deal and the forecasted revenue stream (spare parts & repairs, mostly) that would be earned from the airline. As such, engine OEMs get very protective of exisiting orders and will be contractually entitled to significant compensation from the airline if defers or cancels orders. Further, AA and RR likely have a Total Care agreement in place, which provides power-by-the-hour pricing for off-wing engine maintenance. The power-by-the-hour rate that AA pays is partly a function of AA's RR-powered 777 fleet size (other factors include average stage length, environmental severity, average derate on takeoff and average cruise altitude) and these contracts typically allow for rate adjustments based on fleet size.

I am not privy to the specific details of any RR and AA discussions, but having been involved in many such issues, I am fairly confident that RR would not let AA out without some form of compensation.
Excellent analysis and you very much might be correct.^ As I posted, it was one possible scenario.

-That being said, as you also mentioned, you don't know what the situation/contracts are between AA and RR-though they have a good relationship.

-As you know, options, purchase rights and actual orders have different contract structures, clauses, etc.

-We have seen many orders changed, canceled, ect. in the aviation industry so I don't see it as anything new or "ground breaking"...

-We have also seen many orders where there has been no engine contact for months/years.

-One thing I do know is that AA's contract with Boeing was for "any variant" of the Boeing 777 (after the first 12 being the B777-200 variant) so that obviously gave AA some flexibility as well.

There are just too many variables to be honest to know exactly what the situation between AA, Boeing and RR's order is.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:33 pm

A Rumor That Refuses To Die

Originally Posted by IflyonAA
I'm wondering if the reason AA has only purchased two of these 777-300s is due to the possibility that AA may buy the rest from JAL?! After all their relationship is now closer than ever
I've followed this discussion on this thread for a number of months now, and when I called the EXP desk today about another matter I asked the DFW EXP agent why AA ordered just one 777-323ER. He said that it was part of the JAL bankruptcy and that another half dozen 777-300s and many more 777-200s from JAL were on their way to AA. Some had been taken out of service and were being painted (scraped??), and the interiors were being changed.
He said the questions were what airports AA would add with these planes, but suggested that most would be dispatched to Asia (where the $$$$ were). He also said that all FAs now were recalled, and that many 767 crews were being trained on the 777s.

Three days ago on my way home from SCL, I was told that the "schoolhouse" at DFW was packed with crews being retrained for the 777s and that something big was about to happen.

Could this be what many of us were hoping would soon happen or is still the old rumor we have heard over the past few months?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grahampros
Correct..they would not have not just gone with 2 or 3. Makes no sense fleet wise. On true long haul routes to Asia..ie India or China out of say ORD you need at least 2 birds just to fly one non stop daily service to one market using the same equipment type.
Yes, but who says it has to absolutely positively be daily?

Besdies the obvious (the route simply existing every other day period), consider the "metal neutrality" day-swapping that AA's starting on some of the TATL routes, where AA's flights (at some hours, anyway) don't go every day, but someone's (AAs or BAs or IBs) does. So a flight exists at that hour every day, but isn't flow by the same-ownership metal everyday.

Not that I'm sure whether these 777-300ERs will make sense to introduce on any such "metal neutrality" shared routes*, but I just want to throw out all the possibilities.

Too many people in this thread seem to be assuming one non-stop daily or nothing at all.

(And this is question that isn't answered by increased numbers of 777-300ER acquisitions. Any given new route still might or might not be exactly one daily, no?)

*While I realize the only "metal neutrality" shared routes so far may be TATL, isn't the possibility of them coming TPAC?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
I asked the DFW EXP agent why AA ordered just one 777-323ER. He said that it was part of the JAL bankruptcy and that another half dozen 777-300s and many more 777-200s from JAL were on their way to AA. Some had been taken out of service and were being painted (scraped??), and the interiors were being changed.
He said the questions were what airports AA would add with these planes, but suggested that most would be dispatched to Asia (where the $$$$ were). He also said that all FAs now were recalled
I have a funny feeling your EXP agent isn't in on the top-level discussions, as some of this information is incorrect and other information seems highly improbable. First, JAL have no 77Ws parked anywhere; they are all currently operating. JAL's new 77Ws are supposed to be the cornerstone of their recently-shrunken fleet, as they need intercontinental capacity to fill the hole left by all of their 747s that are out of service. They've gone and purchased one of the most efficient large long-haul aircraft in the world, at no small cost, so it would make very little sense for them to acquire these aircraft only to turn them right around and give them to another airline that will be in a profit-sharing arrangement with them for TPAC traffic to operate. Indeed, when looking at the entire world market for secondhand airliners, there are no used 77Ws available anywhere--they're simply too new and too scarce. Furthermore, all FAs most definitely have not yet been recalled, as I can assure you APFA would be patting themselves on the back with a message to members if this were true. Instead the announcement APFA put out very recently about the agreement to hire 30 new Mandarin-speaking FAs specifically pointed out that there were still hundreds of FAs on the recall list and that APFA was still fighting to get them recalled despite the new hires. I think much if not all of what you were told was speculation, unfortunately.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
...it was part of the JAL bankruptcy and that another half dozen 777-300s and many more 777-200s from JAL were on their way to AA.
Last I heard, JAL was parking their entire 744 fleet (I believe the last jumbo flight happened yesterday) to be replaced with more fuel efficient 777s, not scrap or give them away to another carrier.

Unless of course, AA is interested in those former JL jumbos. That'd be really cool to see though!

Last edited by kebosabi; Mar 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've followed this discussion on this thread for a number of months now, and when I called the EXP desk today about another matter I asked the DFW EXP agent why AA ordered just one 777-323ER. He said that it was part of the JAL bankruptcy and that another half dozen 777-300s and many more 777-200s from JAL were on their way to AA. Some had been taken out of service and were being painted (scraped??), and the interiors were being changed.
These employee rumours are completely nonsensical. The three 77Ws ordered by AA are shown by Boeing as new orders. AA has said they represent the exercise of options. AA's purchase agreements with Boeing (filed by AA with the SEC with very heavy redactions) were recently amended to include 777-300s. Even redacted, they are interesting reading.

JAL has no outstanding orders for 777s, so the AA deliveries don't look like JAL orders or old JAL planes. JAL operates only 11 772ERs and 13 773ERs. The remainder of its 772s and 773s are shorter-range domestic A-market models in which AA would have zero interest. If AA were to acquire a half-dozen JAL 777-300ERs and "many more" JAL 777-200ERs, JAL would have almost no long-range intercontinental aircraft left in its fleet. The EXP agent has not convinced me.

AFAIK, JAL has not removed any 777ERs from service.

Like you said, the rumour that refuses to die.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:40 pm

Microwave, Kebosabi, and FWAAA:
Thanks for your informed responses to the recurring rumor of AA increasing their 777 fleet by obtaining JAL 777s. I have been following the JAL fleet over the last two months, and you are correct according to the info I was able to find that JAL's 747 flleet has been taken out of service and now flies for other carriers, that JAL has a number of 777 subtypes in service, and has no incompleted orders from Boeing. I'm still puzzled why AA would order just one 777-332ER at this time, and why rumors continue to occur about AA expanding their 777 fleet with JAL equipment. Like many I can only speculate, but when the moon, sun, and stars align, these rumors appear reasonable. I was convinced that nothing would happen with AA's 777 fleet for a couple of years until I heard of the purchase of a single 777 (the moon is now aligned), then when pursers told me of what they heard was happening at the schoolhouse (the sun now is aligned), and my conversations with the agent today at the DFW desk about JAL planes (the stars were now aligned), I began to think that maybe we all were missing something. It will be interesting to see what new aircraft AA has in their fleet or will be getting in their fleet one year from now. I suspect you three are correct and this is just the same old rumor we have heard for the past couple of months.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I think there are some celestial forces at work for sure, just not sure they involve JL's current fleet. I think it's more likely that they involve AA's outstanding 77E orders (at least they're on Boeing's order books as 77Es; it may very well be possible to convert these to 77W orders pending some possible wrangling with Rolls) and their existing orders for three 77Ws. I think some likely scenarios (and I admit I'm parroting here) are conversion of 77E orders to 77W, additional 77W orders on top of the existing 77E orders, or no news at all until AA have a few months to play with their new 77Ws and fall in love with them (and for the economy to improve hopefully), with more news later. In any case, I do think we'll be hearing more, and I agree with you that something is probably in the works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.