Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Exec_Plat
Wikipost - signed in members can minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons and edit the post.

FWAAA post 382: In the 10-K filed on February 20, 2013, AA confirmed that it now has ordered a total of 20 77W; two delivered in 2012, eight more in 2013, six more in 2014 and two each in 2015 and 2016 for a total of 20:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....5fUEFHRSZleHA9

16 total 77Ws by the end of next year plus at least four more after that.

Scheduling information: AA 777-300ER / 77W Schedule, Routes (consolidated)

777 family range (Boeing)

Both of AA's 777s are -ER (Extended Range) models, the common 777-223ER and new 777-323ER. Not much range difference, but significant capacity difference. No 200-LRs (Long Range, AKA "Worldliner",) in the future at this time.

777-300ER:

N717AN 7LA
N718AN 7LB
N719AN 7LC
N720AN 7LD
N721AN 7LE
N722AN 7LF
N723AN 7LG
N724AN 7LH
N725AN 7LJ
N726AN 7LK
N727AN 7LL

Updated from planespotters.net:

N728AN 7LM
N729AN 7LN
N730AN 7LP
N731AN 7LR
N732AN 7LS
N733AR 7LT

Based on this data there are 17 77Ws in service Oct 2015.
Print Wikipost

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As unlikely as an order for 777-300ERs might be, it's far more likely than any AA metal flight to DXB. AA will fly LIT-NRT (and probably LIT-Moon) before AA flies to DXB.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by MAH4546
American and Qantas are applying with Australian authorities for immunity today, which would merger their U.S.-Australia operations just like AA/JAL to Asia and AA/IB/BA for EU. It's an interesting move, because AA does not fly to Australia, but if it were to, it would have metal neutrality with Qantas. So maybe its something we'll see in the long term future, using an AA plane for a third daily LAX-SYD.
Wow...didn't know QF/AA were wanting to get this close!

Thanks Mark..^

Given the QF/BA JSA and of course given the AA/BA/IB JV/ATI I guess its not surprising. The next steps might be to get CX-AA and CX-QF (tough one) and CX-JL as well as JL-QF to start getting more close.

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Which routes would these be? AA has sat on their a$$..s for so long that the fungus named DL has spread to almost every market. There are no more monopoly markets in this day and age. Its now time for AA to learn how to do things the old fashioned way and develop markets like they did in South America.

With Comair providing feed, AA should have sustainable traffic on both sides of MIA-JNB.
There are a lot of routes which AA hasn't tapped. The incessantly mentioned MIA-JNB and other MIA-Africa routes would prove to be profitable.

I wouldn't be surprised if AA eventually deals with TLV/Israeli Govt. situation at some time.

Increase of secondary European routes. Seasonal routes such as ORD-ATH during the summer would do well IMHO.

As weak as ORD-FRA was, I'm still surprised AA had cut ORD-FRA. I guess it is what it is.

AA hasn't really been "sitting on their a$$". They finally have JV/ATI with BA..that took literally a decade. They prevented JL from "bolting" to SkyTeam-that would have been a big loss for AA and possibly OneWorld. They are working with QF for "metal neutrality" as MAH4546 stated.

They still haven't filed for BK (though some believe they should have-hindsight is 20/20).

Do they have a lot of problems (such as various contracts with the pilots union, F/A union, etc.)? Yes. Have they been slow to implement new routes/strategies? Yes. Have they been slow to address the competition and ever-changing aviation landscape? Yes.

That being said, lets not forget AA still have a huge pax base in many large cities and have been started to expand a little bit more recently.

I agree their "over-conservatism" has hurt them but at least they didn't expand like crazy only to lose a lot of money and cut routes right away (besides ORD-DME).

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Too afraid of competition with Delta? Seriously? When AA has a partnership with Qantas and is far stronger in Los Angeles?

Furthermore, Qantas and American Airlines today applied for anti-trust immunity with the Australian government. If approved by Australia and the U.S. DOT, they will be one airline between the U.S. and Australia/New Zealand, and if AA were to start service to Australia, AA would be profit-sharing, not competing, with Qantas.
I still wouldn't see the need for AA to start Australia. Its quite resource intensive. Might as well let QF start flying more North America-South Pacific routes-especially given that they have 100 B787's on order/options/purchase rights.

Originally Posted by tenmoc
I can't imagine AA going for their own metal from JFK to DXB. The competition seems like it would be less than ideal to start with.

But more AA metal to more places makes me happy.
JFK-DXB isn't needed as EK has the well served.

I did email AA 6 years ago to fly ORD-DXB. I think this route would have been well established by now-even with the ORD-AUH Etihad codeshare. I still think AA could do well serving the route.

Originally Posted by warreng24
I thought we'd need at least ETOPS 120, as I was imagining a TATL crossing.

However, when I plotted this on the GC Map, it appears to be almost a polar routing.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=dfw-dxb&MS=wls&DU=mi&E=60

Jacobin777 is correct, ETOPS is probably not necessary for this route. However, I would suspect that political reasons may limit the number/location of diversion airports in the vicinity of DXB. I would also expect, on-ground logistics would limit the number of diversion airports over Greenland/Iceland/NE Canada as well (in case diversion was necessary).

Also, I'm not sure what the winds are like on this route, but it appears that the 77W could make it eastbound. There would most likely need to be a westbound fuel stop (or westbound payload restrictions).
There probably wouldn't be any "political restrictions/reasons". There are a multitude of places/airports AA could make a diversion stop at.

Maybe you can list a few places where AA wouldn't be able to stop as a diversion? I'm quite curious (not in a mocking manner at all-genuinely curious)...

Originally Posted by PresRDC
There are plenty of ways for an engine manufacturer to minimize, if not essentially eliminate, the incremental costs of bringing a new engine model into the fleet.

A bigger challenge would be if AA were to agree with Boeing to convert any outstanding 772ER orders into 773ERs. This would likely violate AA's contract with Rolls and, in my experience, Rolls is pretty aggressive in these situations (rightly so, IMO). Nothing that cannot be worked-out, but it would be an additonal hurdle.
Orders are converted all the time. RR would be flexible enough with AA. I wouldn't be surprised if those options are also negotiable/able to be canceled as well.

Last edited by Jacobin777; Jan 14, 2011 at 9:14 am
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
As unlikely as an order for 777-300ERs might be, it's far more likely than any AA metal flight to DXB. AA will fly LIT-NRT (and probably LIT-Moon) before AA flies to DXB.
Basis for that statement?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Maybe you can list a few places where AA wouldn't be able to stop as a diversion? I'm quite curious (not in a mocking manner at all-genuinely curious)...
I should have clarified. I didn't mean that AA wouldn't be able to take a diversion, I meant that some locations would be less than desirable. In a life/death situation you can pretty much put a plane down anywhere.

Looking at the route on the GC Map, going eastbound the route takes you over Iran. I would suspect that while (in a life/death situation) AA could take a diversion to an Iranian airport. However, I think that really would be a last resort.

Some of the diversion airports along the route may have zero to no available 777 ground support. For all practical purposes, it may be more practical to treat DFW-DXB as an ETOPS route.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Orders are converted all the time. RR would be flexible enough with AA. I wouldn't be surprised if those options are also negotiable/able to be canceled as well.
Wanna bet?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I would also not be surprised to see DFW-SYD/MEL.... Just say'n.....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...flights-2.html

<edit>

Looks like someone beat me to it.

From the rumblings I have heard from some people who should know, this certainly seems in the realms of possibility.

Last edited by Traveloguy; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:25 am Reason: updated
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N830MH
Right. They never were. Because AA never have been in Australia/New Zealand for all of those years. Lets hope AA can do something to get more tougher competitions against QF/VA/UA. If there is enough more demands. If they will signed the treaty. If they will open-skies bilateral agreements.

If you read the QF press release, it is pretty obvious what AA and QF are about to do, and therefore I don't think I need to scream out the word the press release deliberately leaves out.

In case the penny has not dropped, QF and AA are not competitors. QF has had a series of far ranging commercial agreements with AA for decades, and with the exception of the recent ATI agreement that AA has with BA and IB, AA probably has no closer partner in oneworld than QF. I therefore can't see AA getting 'tough' with QF.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As weak as ORD-FRA was, I'm still surprised AA had cut ORD-FRA.
It wasn't the wrong country necessarily, but if the right country, then the wrong city, because of no onward connection ability.

Air Berlin is coming on board, but they don't hub at FRA. So wouldn't it more likely that instead of resuming ORD-FRA, AA would start up up service to Berlin instead (whether from ORD and/or elsewhere) to match up to Air Berlin flights onward? (I think Air Berlin also has a secondary hub at Cologne, but I don't know if AA would be as interested in that as Berlin.)

Synchronizing with Air Berlin may be a while off before it's fully ready to happen, and therefore maybe a while off before it's even ready to announce, but wouldn't these new planes (even if announced within a week) be a while off in delivery too?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:46 am
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I thought we'd need at least ETOPS 120, as I was imagining a TATL crossing.

However, when I plotted this on the GC Map, it appears to be almost a polar routing.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=dfw-dxb&MS=wls&DU=mi&E=60

Jacobin777 is correct, ETOPS is probably not necessary for this route. However, I would suspect that political reasons may limit the number/location of diversion airports in the vicinity of DXB. I would also expect, on-ground logistics would limit the number of diversion airports over Greenland/Iceland/NE Canada as well (in case diversion was necessary).

Also, I'm not sure what the winds are like on this route, but it appears that the 77W could make it eastbound. There would most likely need to be a westbound fuel stop (or westbound payload restrictions).
I don't think a 77W would make DXB-DFW. I know EK has tried but couldn't, so they have specially configued 77Ls for DXB-IAH.

I was thinking more along the lines of ORD-DXB, which a 77W could make. In fact, ORD-DXB is a lower distance than DEL, so plausibly a 772 might make it? Seeing as how EK serves IAH-DXB and JFK-DXB, DL serves ATL and UA serves IAD, ORD would make good sense for AA to serve (they might actually beat UA to a route at ORD for once!).

Of course, it'll probably never happen.

As far as diversion friendly airports go, there are actually quite a few in AUH, DWC, MCT, BAH, KWI, DOH... and TEH really is not that bad an option in a worst case scenario.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis

As far as diversion friendly airports go, there are actually quite a few in AUH, DWC, MCT, BAH, KWI, DOH... and TEH really is not that bad an option in a worst case scenario.
you can't possibly be serious
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Is this based on the flight ETOPs considerations, AA's current state of labor relations contracts, or are you hinting to us something about LIT as the next middle of no-where city the next DBEQM promo will apply to?

PS. The moon route would only be added if AE can complete the outfit of all CR7s to the first configuration- it's just too long of a flight otherwise.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
you can't possibly be serious
Have you ever been there?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:33 pm

Have you ever been there?
Ive been everywhere. They're not gonna' land an AMERICAN AIRLINES plane in Iran under any circumstances - unless the other option is crashing into the Caspian - the fact that youve visited the country as a tourist and that its beautiful has nothing whatsoever to do with anything (see: 'red herring'), its the silliest notion in the world, like 90% of the rest of the ridiculous, groundless, uninformed speculation in this thread, but yours certainly takes the cake.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
I should have clarified. I didn't mean that AA wouldn't be able to take a diversion, I meant that some locations would be less than desirable. In a life/death situation you can pretty much put a plane down anywhere.

Looking at the route on the GC Map, going eastbound the route takes you over Iran. I would suspect that while (in a life/death situation) AA could take a diversion to an Iranian airport. However, I think that really would be a last resort.

Some of the diversion airports along the route may have zero to no available 777 ground support. For all practical purposes, it may be more practical to treat DFW-DXB as an ETOPS route.
A few years ago, a NW plane made an emergency landing in Iran. No problems there. Also, both DL and UA fly B777's to DXB from North America to DXB. ORD/DFW-DXB would basically be the same routes as ATL/IAD-DXB. Again, no problems there as both DL's and UA's flights to DXB have proven to be quite successful.

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Wanna bet?
Maybe you know more than me regarding this specific issue. Want to share?...

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It wasn't the wrong country necessarily, but if the right country, then the wrong city, because of no onward connection ability.

Air Berlin is coming on board, but they don't hub at FRA. So wouldn't it more likely that instead of resuming ORD-FRA, AA would start up up service to Berlin instead (whether from ORD and/or elsewhere) to match up to Air Berlin flights onward? (I think Air Berlin also has a secondary hub at Cologne, but I don't know if AA would be as interested in that as Berlin.)

Synchronizing with Air Berlin may be a while off before it's fully ready to happen, and therefore maybe a while off before it's even ready to announce, but wouldn't these new planes (even if announced within a week) be a while off in delivery too?
I think getting AB into OneWorld will certainly help AA fly again to somewhere in Germany (probably Berlin). I also believe it will be a while before AA decide to fly to Germany-not because of new planes, but it will take a little time for the alliance between the two to develop. AB is quite known in Germany/Europe so that will help as well.

I don't think a 77W would make DXB-DFW. I know EK has tried but couldn't, so they have specially configued 77Ls for DXB-IAH.

I was thinking more along the lines of ORD-DXB, which a 77W could make. In fact, ORD-DXB is a lower distance than DEL, so plausibly a 772 might make it? Seeing as how EK serves IAH-DXB and JFK-DXB, DL serves ATL and UA serves IAD, ORD would make good sense for AA to serve (they might actually beat UA to a route at ORD for once!).

Of course, it'll probably never happen.

I don't know what plane configurations EK have for their -LR(i.e.-in terms of MTOW, etc.) . I know they dont' have the extra fitted tanks for Jet-A. Their 3-class configuration is still quite a bit at 286 seats.

@about 7,000NM and using AA's seating configuration, I still don't see DFW-DXB too much payload restricted on a B77W. Sort of a moot point right now anyway.

I wouldn't aim for DFW-DXB anyway. ORD-DXB would probably be the one to go and AA's -200ER's are more than capable.

Maybe when/if AA get the B789 and the route hasn't been developed too much (especially by EK), then AA could fly DFW-DXB nonstop.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
They're not gonna' land an AMERICAN AIRLINES plane in Iran under any circumstances - unless the other option is crashing into the Caspian
Isn't that what Hyperacusis meant with "worst-case scenario"? I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that AA would try to divert somewhere other than Iran if at all possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.