FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:47 am
Hyperacusis

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by warreng24
I thought we'd need at least ETOPS 120, as I was imagining a TATL crossing.

However, when I plotted this on the GC Map, it appears to be almost a polar routing.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=dfw-dxb&MS=wls&DU=mi&E=60

Jacobin777 is correct, ETOPS is probably not necessary for this route. However, I would suspect that political reasons may limit the number/location of diversion airports in the vicinity of DXB. I would also expect, on-ground logistics would limit the number of diversion airports over Greenland/Iceland/NE Canada as well (in case diversion was necessary).

Also, I'm not sure what the winds are like on this route, but it appears that the 77W could make it eastbound. There would most likely need to be a westbound fuel stop (or westbound payload restrictions).
I don't think a 77W would make DXB-DFW. I know EK has tried but couldn't, so they have specially configued 77Ls for DXB-IAH.

I was thinking more along the lines of ORD-DXB, which a 77W could make. In fact, ORD-DXB is a lower distance than DEL, so plausibly a 772 might make it? Seeing as how EK serves IAH-DXB and JFK-DXB, DL serves ATL and UA serves IAD, ORD would make good sense for AA to serve (they might actually beat UA to a route at ORD for once!).

Of course, it'll probably never happen.

As far as diversion friendly airports go, there are actually quite a few in AUH, DWC, MCT, BAH, KWI, DOH... and TEH really is not that bad an option in a worst case scenario.