Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by snsec
It's questionable whether you're allowed a stopover in a North American gateway city (LAX) on a CX award at this point. Book the CGK-HKG-LAX flights and then call in and ask to add on the additional LAX-ANC segment and hope they are feeling helpful.
In the past, I was able to do CGK-HKG-LAX (stopover)-SEA booked on Alaska website.
Old May 5, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by hightide
2 Mar 2024: CGK-LAX via HKG is available in Y (30K miles) on CX776 and CX880
5 Mar 2024: LAX-ANC is available in AS Y at saver level award (12.5K miles) on AS 193
  • However when I do the multi-city search, CGK-LAX depart 2 Mar and LAX-ANC depart 5 Mar, I only get SQ + AS results for CGK-SIN-LAX (stopover) LAX-ANC costing 47.5K miles. How do I get the CX+AS award availability with stopover in LAX to show up? Would calling in help?
Alaska no longer allows CX awards with stopover in cities other than HKG. Even if you have a stopover in HKG, it can't be more than 14 days. Calling won't help either. Such itineraries won't price by computer and AS agent should tell you why.
hightide likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Currently seeing dynamic pricing on CX too, with business awards at 120K miles from JFK to HKG

edit: after further investigation they’re not even business class awards. They’re pricing at 120k, and appearing in the business column, but when you click on details every seat is in coach. Same issue happening with a Qantas award appearing so I wonder if it’s a system wide bug.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 12:28 pm

I was playing around with the Alaska engine to try to find JL flights between Taipei City and Tokyo City, and initially it kept providing me with CX flights, including J availability that routes through HKG at 15K OW. Is this how much intra-asia awards are on CX? Normally I would be like, why would I do an extra 3 hours of airtime, but considering it would be lie-flat all the way, PLUS my family would get to use the CX business class lounge in HKG (definitely would take the longer layover option) then it was a no-brainer for that amount of miles! However, I can't seem to find that routing anymore or price anymore, was it some sort of glitch?
Old May 11, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HIFlya
I was playing around with the Alaska engine to try to find JL flights between Taipei City and Tokyo City, and initially it kept providing me with CX flights, including J availability that routes through HKG at 15K OW. Is this how much intra-asia awards are on CX? Normally I would be like, why would I do an extra 3 hours of airtime, but considering it would be lie-flat all the way, PLUS my family would get to use the CX business class lounge in HKG (definitely would take the longer layover option) then it was a no-brainer for that amount of miles! However, I can't seem to find that routing anymore or price anymore, was it some sort of glitch?
If I remember correctly, Y should be 12.5K & J 22.5K. With dynamic pricing, 15K could be Y or it may be PE. I definitely have never seen 15K for J.

I have seen some anomalies on CX HKG-JFK. Some Y at 35K, some at 45K and some PE at 35K so I guess we can't rule out that 15K for J inter-Asia might have surfaced.

James
Old May 11, 2023, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If I remember correctly, Y should be 12.5K & J 22.5K. With dynamic pricing, 15K could be Y or it may be PE. I definitely have never seen 15K for J.

I have seen some anomalies on CX HKG-JFK. Some Y at 35K, some at 45K and some PE at 35K so I guess we can't rule out that 15K for J inter-Asia might have surfaced.

James
Thanks for the response, considering that I have not been able to replicate what I found ever again, I am thinking it was a glitch that they caught and put a stop to ASAP haha. Oh well, I guess we will just have to settle for regular old econ direct.
Old May 17, 2023, 8:24 pm

Programs: airponts
I have a couple of J class awards booked next month on Cathay and was wondering whether I could change the names on the booking to my husband travelling rather than me?
Anyone managed to get an award ticket reissued by phoning in ?
Old May 18, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kindagot
I have a couple of J class awards booked next month on Cathay and was wondering whether I could change the names on the booking to my husband travelling rather than me?
Anyone managed to get an award ticket reissued by phoning in ?
It will be very hard. It's basically re-book and I doubt award space will be made available once you cancelled the old tickets.

In addition, based on my experience likely only a few agents know how to deal with CX.

I've requested for a route change, holding the ticket and waited for over 4 months and nothing happened.

Finally dealt with the problem week when an agent with proficient knowledge was willing to help.
kindagot likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: airponts
Originally Posted by oneworld_wanderer
It will be very hard. It's basically re-book and I doubt award space will be made available once you cancelled the old tickets.

In addition, based on my experience likely only a few agents know how to deal with CX.

I've requested for a route change, holding the ticket and waited for over 4 months and nothing happened.

Finally dealt with the problem week when an agent with proficient knowledge was willing to help.
Thanks, yes I think the award space will not get released back if I cancel. I might try calling in to see if I get any luck. I never seem to have any luck getting anyone who knows about partner awards though.
Old May 19, 2023, 7:11 am

Does anyone see any bookable F inventory literally any routing that can be booked? I still don’t see a single F seat any route any date that is bookable (LAX HKG , HKG-LAX, CDG-HKG, HKG-CDG, LHR-HKG, HKG-LHR) ie. Any real inventory?
Old May 19, 2023, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dave9lax
Does anyone see any bookable F inventory literally any routing that can be booked? I still don’t see a single F seat any route any date that is bookable (LAX HKG , HKG-LAX, CDG-HKG, HKG-CDG, LHR-HKG, HKG-LHR) ie. Any real inventory?
I generally don't bother looking for CX inventory anymore...even J is tough to find and they don't open the floodgates at T-14 like JL.
Old May 19, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I generally don't bother looking for CX inventory anymore...even J is tough to find and they don't open the floodgates at T-14 like JL.
CX has been discussed, no sense repeating. Check back in 2025/2026. They may be somewhat reminiscent of pre-pandemic, pre-poltical issues by then.

On the flip-side, JL never opened any flood-gates pre-pandemic. I have never flown in a full F cabin. My last flight was 4, each at a window. They made up the aisle seats into beds. Everyone had an aisle bed to sleep and the window to lounge and enjoy the F&B.

James
Happy likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I am looking for 1 round trip F award seat on JL or CX over the summer an dI don't see anything on the Alaska Airlines website. Are the JL and Cx inventories loading onto the Alaska website or do I have to call to get award space?
Old May 22, 2023, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nologic
I am looking for 1 round trip F award seat on JL or CX over the summer an dI don't see anything on the Alaska Airlines website. Are the JL and Cx inventories loading onto the Alaska website or do I have to call to get award space?
route?

The chance of getting any J/F on CX now is close to 0 especially you are booking close-in.
Old May 22, 2023, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by oneworld_wanderer;[url=tel:35271295
35271295[/url]]route?

The chance of getting any J/F on CX now is close to 0 especially you are booking close-in.
I certainly done this before without any issue… Boston to Hkg.

Not sure if you consider August close in

and there’s no space on JAL as well, and they only have business class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.