Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Sadly, I've wasted half an hour on that and it doesn't work. It keeps flipping from email to phone number, not allowing me to enter either. I've also tried calling AS (no joy) and using the Cathay WhatsApp bot (no joy, told me to call the agency who booked it).
That's odd. I just tried with one of my bookings and it works for me.

You could try the RJ or AY websites. They might allow you to change seats or FF numbers.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Frank_Mao
Adding my guess here:

Due to the main itinerary is the transpacific. So If LAX-HKG is on Premium Economy, HKG-DPS can only be avaliable for Premium Economy (Not equipped for A330 ) or Economy.
If I can get LAX-HKG on Business, then HKG-DPS system will shows Business avaliable?
I believe this to be correct. You can fly economy on a business class award not business + premium economy
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: UA, AS
Sadly, I've wasted half an hour on that and it doesn't work. It keeps flipping from email to phone number, not allowing me to enter either. I've also tried calling AS (no joy) and using the Cathay WhatsApp bot (no joy, told me to call the agency who booked it).
Try opening an incognito/private browser window and use the link you posted to go to the web page. You should see the link danger highlighted in yellow in his post above (right hand side of the screen - saying "or find a booking as a guest") and you should be able to click on it to go to the form to retrieve your booking without logging in. The one notable thing here is that the Cathy site is using javascript so if you do not have javascript enabled in your browser it probably won't work.
percysmith likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 10:01 pm

Maybe try the CX app? The issue sounds more like a website technical problem to me. The app is quite easy to navigate.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Another possible reason might be an Ad Blocker. If you have one and are still having trouble try disabling it for the CX website.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 2:10 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by ezak
Maybe try the CX app?
Great tip. I've now got seats. Thank you to you and danger and skimthetrees who responded so patiently.
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 9:57 pm

Does anyone know why flights from Canada to HKG with Cathay is so incredibly expensive? Is it because of COVID and the lower amount of flights servicing this route?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 3:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Noob1ee
lower amount of flights servicing this route?
Only one flight serving each of YVR and YYZ, perhaps CX doesn’t have the capacity to serve lower profit capacity with two.
Noob1ee and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:24 am

I can't recall exact details, but I recall some discussion on the AC forum about insane demand for flights to HKG from YVR and YYZ. There was already lots of inelastic O/D demand due to the strong family links between HKG and YVR/YYZ. With HKG only recently opening back up the demand was always going to be insane for 2023. CX still hasn't come back up to pre-Covid capacity on these routes, and neither has AC due to lack of planes. In addition, AC can't fly direct YYZ-HKG any more due to Russian airspace, so CX has a monopoly on that direct flight.

It's a mess, and I know several people who are taking some odd routings to get to HKG from YVR this summer to visit family. Personally, I've got a QR award SEA-DOH-HKG.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Does anyone know why flights from Canada to HKG with Cathay is so incredibly expensive? Is it because of COVID and the lower amount of flights servicing this route?
What does the cash price of CX flights have to do with discussing Alaska Airlines awards in the Alaska Airlines forum?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by shootaaa
I would suggest you keeping an eye on the HKG-LAX route. There are some F awards available. I dont think is any J at this moment but I am pretty sure I used to see some J 2-3 weeks ago. These days, even W can be difficult to find with CX.
I can't find any F or J seats on HKG-LAX route... how did you find those seats earlier? It is such a frustrating exercise to find those seats... Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
What does the cash price of CX flights have to do with discussing Alaska Airlines awards in the Alaska Airlines forum?
This is also a topic about CX award redemption?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is also a topic about CX award redemption?
You know there’s an actual Cathay Pacific forum right?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ic-cathay-487/

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 10, 2023 at 2:22 am
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Haven't followed AS closely. Seems like JL redemption to SE Asia has gone to hell. Is CX still the old glorious rate of 50k J, 70k F to Asia?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
Haven't followed AS closely. Seems like JL redemption to SE Asia has gone to hell. Is CX still the old glorious rate of 50k J, 70k F to Asia?
Yes. If you can find it (you probably can’t, if you can, enjoy, the route network and award availability is still nowhere near “normal”).
italdesign and kalderlake like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.