Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 9:24 am

Multi segment CX change to CX/KE online

I have a multi segments Cathay flights already confirmed in business class. I need to change my inbound (return) date but the only availability is Korean airline. It seems to let me change it online by mixing the two partners - outbound Cathay and inbound Korean. But I am getting a bit nervous about doing it online as I don’t want to mess up my current outbound flights (no more business availabilities online currently) even though I said to keep the segment as is. I am at sea right now and cannot call until in another week. Should I wait to call or take a chance in doing the change online. Have you done this is in the past online? Like to know your first hand experience. Thanks I’m advance.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by bronco29
I have a multi segments Cathay flights already confirmed in business class. I need to change my inbound (return) date but the only availability is Korean airline. It seems to let me change it online by mixing the two partners - outbound Cathay and inbound Korean. But I am getting a bit nervous about doing it online as I don’t want to mess up my current outbound flights (no more business availabilities online currently) even though I said to keep the segment as is. I am at sea right now and cannot call until in another week. Should I wait to call or take a chance in doing the change online. Have you done this is in the past online? Like to know your first hand experience. Thanks I’m advance.
I have not done it. However, what I would say is, most of the problems people are having now are related to phantom CX award availability. I have not heard folks complaining about Korean bookings. So long as you are keeping confirmed CX bookings for the outbound and only changing the inbound to Korean (not mixed with another partner) I would attempt this online if it were a one person booking. For a family of 4 I would consider calling for peace of mind. If this is for a close in booking with no other options I probably would call.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:01 pm

Based on my searches on AS for CX award flights at the end of November, the phantom award availability is gone. All clear and pretty empty of anything, sadly.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 9:25 am

Seems like nothing avavilable anymore in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2023 from US to HKG
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Try YYZ
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I agree....looks like most availability disappeared during the past week.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I agree....looks like most availability disappeared during the past week.
You mean all the phantom availability you would waste your time chasing only to find out it's phantom?
Old Jan 21, 2023, 6:33 pm

There was real availability recently too. I booked two CX round trips in business class from LAX to singapore in November. But it does seem that everything has evaporated. However, I’m not seeing it on other partner sites, so I’m not sure it’s an alaska specific thing?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA, KF
If you search other cities like BOS, LAX, JFK you might find some Y seats still available. Definitely no more J seats.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: QF Gold, CX Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
I am noticing the same thing with HKG-Europe this summer. It’s all evaporated in J in the last week. Seems to be a couple still left to CDG in F however.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:07 pm

I booked mine last Dec:
BOS - HKG in Oct and HKG to YYZ in Nov,
I would suggest BOS because of the number of availability for Business Class, I am in YYZ but really hard to find a direct flight, and only find the main cabin from JFK.

And check on the CX website first to avoid Phantom Availability, IF CX has them, AS might.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:58 am

Is AS having an issue showing seats? I see availability from HKG->LAX in J on BA but that same day only shows Y seats on AS
Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by will_give_tp_for_miles
Is AS having an issue showing seats? I see availability from HKG->LAX in J on BA but that same day only shows Y seats on AS
CX may have different availability for different partners. What do AA and QF show for availability on the same flight?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
CX may have different availability for different partners. What do AA and QF show for availability on the same flight?
Hm you're right. AA and QF only show main which aligns with what AS sees. I checked CX website themselves and they have J availability, strange that BA shows it while the rest don't though. I know it's slightly off topic but do you think CX own website is trustworthy or could this be phantom space?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by will_give_tp_for_miles
Hm you're right. AA and QF only show main which aligns with what AS sees. I checked CX website themselves and they have J availability, strange that BA shows it while the rest don't though. I know it's slightly off topic but do you think CX own website is trustworthy or could this be phantom space?
CX has expanded availability on AsiaMiles, like many airlines do for their own award program. You absolutely cannot expect AM availability to show on AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.