Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2023, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by John26
I know USCIS doesn't care that much about this for US citizens as long as the middle name is in the APIS info that gets transmitted to them (flown out of the country on AS metal many times and know some Customs supervisors), but it's up to CX on whether they are comfortable with boarding a pax since the risk is entirely on them.
In the past CX was very difficult about this (and for no good reason at all). The issue cropped up frequently with Avios award bookings, as BA didn't have a place for middle name, and there were reports of denied boarding. I haven't heard of any issues for quite some time, but you might check the CX forum.
John26 likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread pumps me to check our bookings traveling in Sept.

There is also no middle names showing on the Manage My Booking, unlike in the past the middlename was attached to the last name or first name? I cannot remember how exactly it has been, but do remember it is attached.

The passport information has our middle names. I never see an error cropped up on CX site.

What is bothersome, or rather annoying, is, the outbound BOS-HKG shows Tickets not issued, while HKG-NRT shows Confirmed - they are on the SAME Tickets.

Yet CX site is able to send me the AS tickets with all ticket numbers and all the correct information. I tried to contact CX a couple times in March but was unable to even get thru then we went on a long trip just got back 10 days ago. I am not sure I need to raise this "ticket not issued" concern to AS because on AS site they showed everything perfectly, ditto CX. IIRC I read about this "ticket not issued" display glitch in late last year (when our trips were booked), AS tried to reissue a few times but never got the issue fixed. Though people traveled without problem despite the display.

I would imagine if they have not had tickets the reservation would die shortly after AS made the reservation. The booking has no change ever since AS issued the tickets in first week of January. I am able to select seats/change seats all along.

What would be the more optimal time to call CX Hong Kong (or CX US) and the numbers to call, to inquire whether they actually have the tickets or not?

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2023, 11:24 pm

Checking again both airlines - not seeing any seats any route in F… especially Cathay. I’d go to or from la or ny or chi or sf to Asia or to or from cdg or lhr to Hong Kong. I’m LA based but will fly anywhere to enjoy the product again..gotta be 1 seat somewhere. Does anyone see anything at all on Cathay Pacific 1st class or Qantas 1st?. I don’t see a single usage of miles , ideally nyc or la and back on to anywhere in Africa or Australia to make best use of stopover Hong Kong or Sydney but even terminating in Hong Kong or Sydney. Any tips?? Thanks!
Old May 29, 2023, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by dave9lax
Checking again both airlines - not seeing any seats any route in F… especially Cathay. I’d go to or from la or ny or chi or sf to Asia or to or from cdg or lhr to Hong Kong. I’m LA based but will fly anywhere to enjoy the product again..gotta be 1 seat somewhere. Does anyone see anything at all on Cathay Pacific 1st class or Qantas 1st?. I don’t see a single usage of miles , ideally nyc or la and back on to anywhere in Africa or Australia to make best use of stopover Hong Kong or Sydney but even terminating in Hong Kong or Sydney. Any tips?? Thanks!
CX has practically 0 J/F availability via AS and it doesn't seem to be coming back soon. QF has always been hard to find. You're going to have much more success using another program like Asia miles to book.
Old May 29, 2023, 12:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Tips

1. Lower expectations in an environment where there’s more demand in a very long time and the supply is a shell of what it used to be pre Covid.

2. Make sure to plan ahead and book at the very end of schedule.

3. Be content with Y
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Couple of Options:

Here are a couple of options. Each is definitely a needle in a field of haystacks but I located them in about 5 minutes using the "oh, so inefficient" app.

James
Old May 30, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by Happy
This thread pumps me to check our bookings traveling in Sept.

There is also no middle names showing on the Manage My Booking, unlike in the past the middlename was attached to the last name or first name? I cannot remember how exactly it has been, but do remember it is attached.

The passport information has our middle names. I never see an error cropped up on CX site.

What would be the more optimal time to call CX Hong Kong (or CX US) and the numbers to call, to inquire whether they actually have the tickets or not?
To access my PNR, CX asked for my CX membership # first. The PNR showed my MVP Gold # from Alaska (extra bag for me but not my non-status travel companion). When I went to provide my emergency contact info, that is when a pop-up window flagged that my ticketed name didn't match my passport details (I believe CX already had my passport details from the past).

I called CX on a weekday morning and got through right away after navigating their phone menu (got their phone # from Contact Us at the bottom of the CX web site). Call was routed to overseas call center (I believe it is the outsourcer they use in the Philippines). The agent checked with his supervisor and said it was a problem and that Alaska will need to correct it.
Old May 30, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
UPDATE: Just got an email from Alaska with an updated Confirmation Letter (same PNR #) that now shows my middle name in the ticket! Went to the CX website and no longer get the error pop-up when updating my emergency contact info (the same screen where you provide your passport info, which was already in my CX account). Will call CX just to verify on their end that everything is sorted.
Happy and Kacee like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:44 am

Getting this error when trying to select a preferred seat which says complimentary

Old May 31, 2023, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by John26
UPDATE: Just got an email from Alaska with an updated Confirmation Letter (same PNR #) that now shows my middle name in the ticket! Went to the CX website and no longer get the error pop-up when updating my emergency contact info (the same screen where you provide your passport info, which was already in my CX account). Will call CX just to verify on their end that everything is sorted.
Thanks a lot for the update. You mean you only talk to CX but magically AS self-corrected the Middle Name issue? Meaning CX contacted AS on your behalf? Or after talking to CX you contacted AS which then correct the names on the tickets?

Indeed when entering the Emergency Contact info, the "warning" popped up about the name on the travel doc not matched. Either one needs to be corrected.

HOWEVER, the travel document ONLY has First Name to fill in, there is NO box for Middle Name. The US passport calls it Given Name, which in reality is First Name Middle Name.

I will try to find old AS eTickets on CX flights if all of them have Middle Names. For sure I know we have plenty BA issued intra Asia CX flights have NO middle name on the tickets.

Huh! I found AS eTickets JFK-HKG for travel in Oct 2018 - there was NO Middle Name on the eTicket Receipts! Somehow at the end CX showed the Middle Names on the Manage Booking... I did not recall what eventually happened.

Nonetheless, tomorrow morning I will call AS to see if they can take care of this nonsense. No airline we have travel on, requires the Middle Name on the eTicket. CX is the only one, ever.

Last edited by Happy; May 31, 2023 at 7:59 pm
Old May 31, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver

Huh! I found AS eTickets JFK-HKG for travel in Oct 2018 - there was NO Middle Name on the eTicket Receipts! Somehow at the end CX showed the Middle Names on the Manage Booking.
My old CX confirmation emails from 2014 do not have my middle name or middle initial. These would have been booked over the phone through AS. I don’t recall any travel issues at all, and don’t remember if my middle name appeared in the Manage Booking page.
Old May 31, 2023, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
My old CX confirmation emails from 2014 do not have my middle name or middle initial. These would have been booked over the phone through AS. I don’t recall any travel issues at all, and don’t remember if my middle name appeared in the Manage Booking page.
The AS member profile has Middle Name in it. However whether booking over the phone or booking online myself, the tickets only pick up First and Last Name.

I also looked back BA tickets for all those CX intra Asia flights - NONE has Middle Name on the tickets.

I hope Partner Desk still have agents who remember this CX specific, peculiar Middle Name issue, can simply reissue the eTickets by taking the FULL name from the AS profile. Wish me luck on my tomorrow morning's call to AS.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 8:51 pm

I've flown a few CX flights booked with AS miles and never had an issue with middle name not appearing on the CX side.

A few times the check-in agent would write my middle name (as shown on my passport) on the boarding pass using a pen without saying anything to me about it.
Happy and kalderlake like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS partner desk told me the Middlename is a preference NOT a requirement per CX doc

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I've flown a few CX flights booked with AS miles and never had an issue with middle name not appearing on the CX side.

A few times the check-in agent would write my middle name (as shown on my passport) on the boarding pass using a pen without saying anything to me about it.
Thank you so much for the data points. Were these flights flown recently?

Just talked to a partner desk agent at Boise, and was informed by her - as long as the middle name is in the Secured Flight, that is all needed. She said AS and CX had an agreement that on all new tickets issued, the middle name only needed in the Secured Flight transmitted to CX. While CX prefers to see the middle name on the ticket (presumably makes the gate agent's work of document check easier), it is NOT an requirement. Since our middle names are in our AS profiles, the secured flight files contain our middle name.

Furthermore, she said the only way to reissue is to cancel the old tickets first - that of course is an absolute No No for us because the current spaces would no doubt be lost. I said I knew there was ZERO space on ANY Class, hence the cancel / reissue is not viable. We will just roll the dice till we are at the airport. She said not to worry that we would have no issue boarding. She also said AS had 24/7 partner desk, plus if CX fussed about it AS could contact OneWorld since now they were member of the alliance. Flights are in Sept and the BOS-HKG departs at 01:45am! We probably would be at the airport by 10pm. As far as I know, CX uses BA's lounge at BOS. So there is a place to kill time with relative comfort.

According to her, only SQ requires middle name also on the ticket while CX just prefers it but not requires it. Her words - "We would need to add the middle name to the first name when issuing tickets on SQ flights", she said, "But on CX flights that is only a preference, not an requirement."

I went back to look at 2017 JNB-HKG, HKG-LAX - our middle names were not on the tickets.

So this is it. I am not going to mess with reissuing the tickets. Though I am curious how the OP get their tickets reissued without messing up their existing seats.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 5:58 pm

Thank you so much for the data points. Were these flights flown recently?

Just talked to a partner desk agent at Boise, and was informed by her - as long as the middle name is in the Secured Flight, that is all needed. She said AS and CX had an agreement that on all new tickets issued, the middle name only needed in the Secured Flight transmitted to CX. While CX prefers to see the middle name on the ticket (presumably makes the gate agent's work of document check easier), it is NOT an requirement. Since our middle names are in our AS profiles, the secured flight files contain our middle name.

Furthermore, she said the only way to reissue is to cancel the old tickets first - that of course is an absolute No No for us because the current spaces would no doubt be lost. I said I knew there was ZERO space on ANY Class, hence the cancel / reissue is not viable. We will just roll the dice till we are at the airport. She said not to worry that we would have no issue boarding. She also said AS had 24/7 partner desk, plus if CX fussed about it AS could contact OneWorld since now they were member of the alliance. Flights are in Sept and the BOS-HKG departs at 01:45am! We probably would be at the airport by 10pm. As far as I know, CX uses BA's lounge at BOS. So there is a place to kill time with relative comfort.

According to her, only SQ requires middle name also on the ticket while CX just prefers it but not requires it. Her words - "We would need to add the middle name to the first name when issuing tickets on SQ flights", she said, "But on CX flights that is only a preference, not an requirement."

I went back to look at 2017 JNB-HKG, HKG-LAX - our middle names were not on the tickets.

So this is it. I am not going to mess with reissuing the tickets. Though I am curious how the OP get their tickets reissued without messing up their existing seats.
Haven't flown on a CX flight booked with AS points since pre-COVID, but have flown on CX through either direct booking or through BA Avios.

Never included my middle name on any of those bookings and had never really heard any complaints from CX.

Like I mentioned, a few times the check-in agent would manually write my middle name on the BP and initial it, but never was I actually confronted with this issue. They simply did it and sent me on my way without saying anything.
Happy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.