Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:00 pm

Interesting. This doesn't show up when doing calendar search. Maybe that's a sign it will be unbookable?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 12:03 am

Is there still not a single F seat any route any date that is bookable (LAX HKG , HKG-LAX, CDG-HKG, HKG-CDG, LHR-HKG, HKG-LHR) ie. Any real inventory?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dave9lax
Is there still not a single F seat any route any date that is bookable (LAX HKG , HKG-LAX, CDG-HKG, HKG-CDG, LHR-HKG, HKG-LHR) ie. Any real inventory?
Food for thought:

If everything goes as planned, CX won't get back to pre-pandemic capacity for another 20 months. I don't yet see 4× daily on the JFK-HKG route, in fact, only 2× daily on the A350 without an F cabin.

LAX-HKG is currently 2× daily, 5 days per week until June 1st on the 777 with a 6 seat F cabin. Potentially 10 F seats per week for awards for everyone.

Add demand & other FF programs that can book on CX before you can book CX on AS and the result is not surprising. Simple supply (low) and demand (high). The low supply is likely deplenished long before you could ever book it on AS. I don't see CX ever returning to it's former glory for reasons beyond the pandemic. It is what it is.

James
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:54 am

I try to book a premium economy ticket from BOS to HKG and then from HKG to SYD. Both segments show premium economy is available. However, when I book the two segments, the system would book as a mixed cabin as PE for BOS to HKG and coach (Y) for HKG to SYD. Is there anyway to get around it? Or can I just modify the second leg to PE after I finished booking? Many thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by andrew148
I try to book a premium economy ticket from BOS to HKG and then from HKG to SYD. Both segments show premium economy is available. However, when I book the two segments, the system would book as a mixed cabin as PE for BOS to HKG and coach (Y) for HKG to SYD. Is there anyway to get around it? Or can I just modify the second leg to PE after I finished booking? Many thanks.
It depends. Mostly on potential married segment availability. I cannot replicate what you are seeing. What dates are you looking at? Are you sure you are matching the connecting flight dates in your search? BOS-HKG departs 3/11 arrives 3/12 to HKG-SYD departs 3/12 (not 3/11).

I am seeing some additional married segment availability to SYD on connections that is not showing direct but this is different from your description of less availability. If you can share the dates you are searching I can take a closer look.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It depends. Mostly on potential married segment availability. I cannot replicate what you are seeing. What dates are you looking at? Are you sure you are matching the connecting flight dates in your search? BOS-HKG departs 3/11 arrives 3/12 to HKG-SYD departs 3/12 (not 3/11).

I am seeing some additional married segment availability to SYD on connections that is not showing direct but this is different from your description of less availability. If you can share the dates you are searching I can take a closer look.
Thanks so much. I was looking at Feb 12 BOX to HKG and Feb 26 from HKG to SYD.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by andrew148
Thanks so much. I was looking at Feb 12 BOX to HKG and Feb 26 from HKG to SYD.
Looks like it should be possible. Both flights available in PE but AS not showing PE option on the SYD segment. No married segments involved since there is a stopover.

I would try booking it with what you see on AS, BOS-HKG in PE and HKG-SYD in Y, then, after ticketing, I would try the AS online change tool to see if I could get it to change the HKG-SYD segment to PE, and if the online tool did not work then I would call in to the partner desk, telling them that I see availability for PE on one of my segments and that I want to switch that segment from Economy to Premium Economy. If the agent cannot handle it ask to speak to a supervisor for assistance. Availability is there and you should be able to get AS to change the Y to PE.

You could also try calling in for your initial booking and they may be able to do it, but my sense is that you have a high chance to run into an inexperienced agent who will make up excuses for why it can't be done and there are more bogus excuses on an initial booking than there are for a change to an existing booking which is why I would start out by making an online booking first then changing it (in this situation).

Please update the thread with your results.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Looks like it should be possible. Both flights available in PE but AS not showing PE option on the SYD segment. No married segments involved since there is a stopover.

I would try booking it with what you see on AS, BOS-HKG in PE and HKG-SYD in Y, then, after ticketing, I would try the AS online change tool to see if I could get it to change the HKG-SYD segment to PE, and if the online tool did not work then I would call in to the partner desk, telling them that I see availability for PE on one of my segments and that I want to switch that segment from Economy to Premium Economy. If the agent cannot handle it ask to speak to a supervisor for assistance. Availability is there and you should be able to get AS to change the Y to PE.

You could also try calling in for your initial booking and they may be able to do it, but my sense is that you have a high chance to run into an inexperienced agent who will make up excuses for why it can't be done and there are more bogus excuses on an initial booking than there are for a change to an existing booking which is why I would start out by making an online booking first then changing it (in this situation).

Please update the thread with your results.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply! I am waiting for a few more points that should be deposited in the next few days and will update this post with the result. Thanks again.
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Is Cathay good about redepositing award inventory after a cancellation? I have a flight blocked LAX-HKG-AKL with AA miles (110k points) that I am hoping to switch to Alaska miles for the free stopover. I'm just scared that I'll lose it.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:19 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I did that for an upcoming trip.

No change fee when you added the second leg to the first to make a free stopover?
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by eltoddo22
Is Cathay good about redepositing award inventory after a cancellation? I have a flight blocked LAX-HKG-AKL with AA miles (110k points) that I am hoping to switch to Alaska miles for the free stopover. I'm just scared that I'll lose it.
In my opinion, this is a huge risk. It is unlikely for the award space to return.
Old May 2, 2023, 9:45 pm

I reached MVPG (OneWorld Sapphire) a week ago, and today I booked a couple of CX award flights scheduled for October this year, but I’m unable to select a seat in advance.

They’re X fares, so am I not able to select a seat regardless of OneWorld status or is there a delay in Cathay Pacific receiving notification from Alaska about my new status?

I see in the chart on Cathay Pacific’s website that OW Sapphire gets free advanced seat selection, but I’m not sure if that applies to their X fares.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by dave9lax
HKG-LHR/CDG showing phantom availability again with AS and AA between Oct/23 and Mar/24.
Carfield likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
2 Mar 2024: CGK-LAX via HKG is available in Y (30K miles) on CX776 and CX880
5 Mar 2024: LAX-ANC is available in AS Y at saver level award (12.5K miles) on AS 193
  • However when I do the multi-city search, CGK-LAX depart 2 Mar and LAX-ANC depart 5 Mar, I only get SQ + AS results for CGK-SIN-LAX (stopover) LAX-ANC costing 47.5K miles. How do I get the CX+AS award availability with stopover in LAX to show up? Would calling in help?
Old May 5, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Originally Posted by hightide
2 Mar 2024: CGK-LAX via HKG is available in Y (30K miles) on CX776 and CX880
5 Mar 2024: LAX-ANC is available in AS Y at saver level award (12.5K miles) on AS 193
  • However when I do the multi-city search, CGK-LAX depart 2 Mar and LAX-ANC depart 5 Mar, I only get SQ + AS results for CGK-SIN-LAX (stopover) LAX-ANC costing 47.5K miles. How do I get the CX+AS award availability with stopover in LAX to show up? Would calling in help?
It's questionable whether you're allowed a stopover in a North American gateway city (LAX) on a CX award at this point. Book the CGK-HKG-LAX flights and then call in and ask to add on the additional LAX-ANC segment and hope they are feeling helpful.
hightide likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.