Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Not sure what class of service you were originally booked into, but around your July dates there is currently CX award availability bookable on the AS website for:
7/18 - LAX-HKG 30k for Y - 35k for PE
7/18 - BOS-HKG 30k for Y - 35k for PE
7/20 - BOS-HKG 30k for Y
Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ralph4878
Cross post from the CX forum on route resumptions...
Just got the notification today that my "confirmed" ORD-HKG flight in July has (been cancelled. This was booked back in October...I guess with the new schedules being released, it was time for them to let me know. As this was booked using MileagePlan miles, I'm not sure what to expect re: "alternative arrangements," but it was nice while it lasted lol. Interestingly, it's still showing as "confirmed" on their website when I go to Manage Booking.

ralph4878 is online now Alert a moderator to this post
If I didn't know better I would say this message was from 2021 not 2023....so how long do they plan to use COVID as a reason to cancel flights? This probably explains some of the reasons why award availability is so hard to find compared to a few months ago.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If I didn't know better I would say this message was from 2021 not 2023....so how long do they plan to use COVID as a reason to cancel flights? This probably explains some of the reasons why award availability is so hard to find compared to a few months ago.
I know...they rebooked me out of JFK but I called Alaska to have it cancelled. Not positioning to JFK to take this flight.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:27 pm

Award Price Change or a Glitch?

Originally Posted by mixmastermark
Not sure what class of service you were originally booked into, but around your July dates there is currently CX award availability bookable on the AS website for:
7/18 - LAX-HKG 30k for Y - 35k for PE
7/18 - BOS-HKG 30k for Y - 35k for PE
7/20 - BOS-HKG 30k for Y
An interesting finding: In late Jan, I was searching for award ticket from HKG to JFK. And I found the award price for Y increased from 30k to 35K. It lasted for around a week and then changed back to 30K. I am not sure if it means the price can change based on demand or it was just a glitch. Something I would pay attention to in the future.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:34 pm

DP on Booking CX Award Ticket on AS

I encountered a lot of phantom tickets when I was booking my summer trip from PVG to JFK back in Jan. The AS customer service also showed inconsistency in terms of expertise. I called three times all failed to confirm a ticket. Only the first time, the representatice was able to reach CX to confirm the real inventory. The other two times, I was told that "the booking was sent to CX, and I will be soom receiving the confirmation" which didnt happen.. CX only issued Y ticket since there is no U inventory.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA PG 1MM - AccorPlus Platinum
I'm trying to book 3 seats in C from SYD to KTM in February 2024

I can find a lot of availability online for 2 seats (on CX website) but nothing for 3 seats on the same flights...
Perhaps something that could be achieved by calling CX rather than booking online?

Last edited by dayone; Feb 28, 2023 at 1:48 pm Reason: Redact off-topic references and question.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 9:23 am

What was the outcome of your rebooking by Cathay? Did they rebook you on another Cathay flight or with one of their partners. I have flights booked with them Nov/Dec TLV - HKG - YYZ which I hope don't get changed.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by M@rcoPolo
I'm trying to book 3 seats in C from SYD to KTM in February 2024

I can find a lot of availability online for 2 seats (on CX website) but nothing for 3 seats on the same flights...
Perhaps something that could be achieved by calling CX rather than booking online?
I don't understand what you're hoping to accomplish by calling Cathay.They cannot book your Alaska award for you and what is on the CX website is irrelevant for booking using Alaska miles. The only people who can help you book an Alaska award on Cathay Pacific using Alaska Airlines miles work for Alaska Airlines. The only website you care about for booking using Alaska miles is at alaskaair.com. Are you expecting that Cathay will open up partner award inventory just because you're calling them?

Also... please read the wiki, SYD-HKG-KTM on Cathay using Alaska miles will be TWO awards.

For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 28, 2023 at 3:19 pm Reason: Edit redacted quote, and edit reply for continuity.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jeffry001
What was the outcome of your rebooking by Cathay? Did they rebook you on another Cathay flight or with one of their partners. I have flights booked with them Nov/Dec TLV - HKG - YYZ which I hope don't get changed.
I called MileagePlan to get the reservation cancelled and get my miles back. The agent said it looked like they rebooked me out of JFK, which was not going to work for me without them paying for a positioning flight there...
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:58 am

Can you still book Cathay business award Europe-HKG for 42,500 miles?
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:58 am

Website can See Cathay's first-class seat, but can't redeem it

I recently used AS miles to exchange for Cathay Pacific first class, but something went wrong.

I saw that there were vacancies. I filled in all the information and pressed the payment, but it failed.
The message showed "Flights operated by our partner airlines can not be confirmed.

I tried to redeem the first class LHR/CDG/HND of several routes and it was the same
Is it because Cathay Pacific blocked the use of the AS system to redeem first-class seats?

I tried to redeem Cathay Pacific business class and I didn't encounter this kind of problem.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:24 am

Phantom availability likely. Do you see same F open using AA or BA?
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by olouie
Phantom availability likely. Do you see same F open using AA or BA?
Yes, I checked this flight on AA/BA .i saw that there are first class seats available
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by ttnc11222
Yes, I checked this flight on AA/BA .i saw that there are first class seats available
Probably have to call and ask for partner liaison then.
navydevildoc likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 9:02 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

@ttnc11222 Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.